1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished cleaning up where I will need to weld, got the spring mounts and the steering box mocked up. So far, so good.

Few pics from last night.

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

I am using the transmission crossmember mount as an index for the rear spring mounts. You can see how the mounts but up against the tabs in this shot.

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

Steering box location is tit's, it's as far forward as the body mount will allow. I still need to mock up the steering angles. I ordered high steer arms yesterday, so once those get in I can mock those up and figure out how long of a pitman arm I will need and how much drop it will need as well.

IMG_5188.jpg

Shackle ange should be just about perfect once there is weight on the springs.

IMG_5189.jpg

Steve, this is looking awesome! A buddy of mine had a 620 with the shackles mounted in the rear and it was always a problem when the front end was fully compressed. I kept trying to talk him into putting the shackles in the front. This should be a sweet setup for you. 

I was looking into a Yota box for my last 620 so I could have PS. Just never went for it. Excited to see how this turns out. Have you decided what to run for the pump and reservoir? I can't remember what my buddy ran, but, the pump was real small. He did a spring swap in the pump to get the pressure needed to allow the 35's to be moved easily. I'll ask him if he remembers.

Keep it up man!

BTW, I need some more stickers, I'm out.

Jes

I like how that steering box mock up is looking! Is the marlin kit designed specifically for the yota box? The bolt spread kinda looks that way.

Yep it is specifically for the IFS box that was used on all the first and second gen 4runners and trucks

Steve, this is looking awesome! A buddy of mine had a 620 with the shackles mounted in the rear and it was always a problem when the front end was fully compressed. I kept trying to talk him into putting the shackles in the front. This should be a sweet setup for you. 

I was looking into a Yota box for my last 620 so I could have PS. Just never went for it. Excited to see how this turns out. Have you decided what to run for the pump and reservoir? I can't remember what my buddy ran, but, the pump was real small. He did a spring swap in the pump to get the pressure needed to allow the 35's to be moved easily. I'll ask him if he remembers.

Keep it up man!

BTW, I need some more stickers, I'm out.

Jes

Shackles in front make it a much cheaper swap as well as moving the axle forward under compression when wheelin. Main 2 reasons I went that route. 

Gonna run a stock KA pump and res, should make it easy to mount up. 

PM me for stickers ;)

Axle mock up, Looks like I will be sending back the high steer arms I ordered. going to use the arm that was previously on the truck and keep the tie-rod below the springs. I'll build it nice and beefy.

IMG_5212.jpg

Sorta compressed shackle angle.

IMG_5210.jpg

Blue tape is the drag link.

IMG_5209.jpg

• Like 2
............ Looks like I will be sending back the high steer arms I ordered. Going to use the arm that was previously on the truck and keep the tie-rod below the springs.

Why the hell are you going to do that! Come on man......You know better than that. Just pick up a Chev  dana 44 drivers side knuckle and mount your goods like you were going to do. Put your drag link up top to lessen the angle.

I already have the knuckles to bolt up the arms, it's cutting away the body mount that I'd rather not do.

Today was bathroom renovation day, tomorrow is Datsun day. 

Of course I've been watching the grand daughter during the holiday break, so she may have learn to weld tomorrow. :lol:

• Like 1

2eDeYe" post="818694" timestamp="1356325113"]Axle mock up, Looks like I will be sending back the high steer arms I ordered. going to use the arm that was previously on the truck and keep the tie-rod below the springs. I'll build it nice and beefy.

IMG_5212.jpg

Sorta compressed shackle angle.

IMG_5210.jpg

Blue tape is the drag link.

IMG_5209.jpg

I don't see the problem, maybe I'm blind??

It's hard to see in the pictures.These next few should help illustrate the steering issues. The main problem is the drag link from the steering box really should be in front of the tie rod to help them stay away from each other as the suspension and steering move through their range of motion. I also don't want to move the body mount or the front cross member if I can help it. I think I can use my new arms and get new tapered holes added to where the hole is in the old arm.

New arm vs old arm

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

You can see the new arm moves the drag link way forward, but I should be able to add holes for the tie rod behind them and not have to move the steering box any further forward than I have it now.

IMG_5315.jpg

vIMG_5307.jpg

Body mount and steering box.

IMG_5309.jpg

I already had to swap the 720 radiator out and put a 620 radiator back into it. The 720 rad is way to wide and hits the steering box. You can see the studs Jeff used to mount the 720 rad in this shot, they are all the way to the fender well.

IMG_5303.jpg

To make things even more fun I am trying to get the winch as high and tight as possible. I may end up cutting into the core support, it was really hard to work up the nerve to cut for the steering box so.....we'll see I guess :lol:

Had to pull the relay box, they will get mounted in the bumper or something.

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5317.jpg

I got the rear mounts for the springs tacked up and started messing with the shock towers. Using a bit of pvc inside some tube to get decent measurements. Once I finalize the steering box position I will bend up tubes, then I can burn everything in for the suspension. 

IMG_5310.jpg

I'm going to have to lengthen the driveshaft so I'll be rotating the t-case up before I measure for that. 

Hopefully Jeff will text me back about machining my steering arms.   :)

I can defiantly do some machine work. Not sure what day. Have a funeral tomorrow and Sunday a friend from Canada is coming down.

Build looks killer!!! That thing is going to be a blast when you are done. What are you going to do about the rear axle wrap?

Lookin' good, you are quite the engineer! :thumbup:

That's what they keep saying in work :confused:

serious amounts of math going on man, id live to be a fly on the wall just to watch it happen.

Beer and staring helps alot. 

I can defiantly do some machine work. Not sure what day. Have a funeral tomorrow and Sunday a friend from Canada is coming down.

Build looks killer!!! That thing is going to be a blast when you are done. What are you going to do about the rear axle wrap?

Excellent. Maybe I'll swing by your place on Tuesday if you'll be around? I don't work til Wed, pretty sure your on the sameish schedule?

Hoping to 4-link the rear.

Ok, I'm not a purist by any means, but hacking away took some doing. 

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

Pretty well stuffed in there, some bits will require attention.

IMG_5349.jpg

Spacers will be needed for the lower rad mounts.

IMG_5347.jpg

Gonna do a plate bumper. Got my brake welded up and whatnot. Gonna pick up some 4" 3/16" strap to skin the bumper with.

IMG_5341.jpg

Got a trunk full of stuff for powdercoat, hopefully my diff cover comes before I head that way. :D

• Like 1