'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't finished the rears yet. That's a few weeks away. Waffling on weld or no weld. I have a few no weld ideas that should work. 

I'll definitely be welding on the 210 when it goes under the knife, but I don't feel good about welding it and not ruining the paint on the 1200. 

May try no weld for now, and whenever the 1200 is ready to be repainted, then weld them...

Ahhh, At first i cut and hammered the inner well up and just did a million tack welds like everyone does and it looks like shit. I cut mine really low because i had a feeling i would hate it. This time im going to cut a bit higher and spot weld the 2 sheets together and roll it back flat. Ive always been weary of taking the fender lip all the way out because it adds so much strength to the sheet metal. Ill throw up some pics when i cut mine again.

Tires mounted...

my_1200_027.JPG

Faking the funk a little...

my_1200_003.JPG

Faking the funk a lot...   :rofl:

my_1200_045.JPG

Stupid caps wouldn't stay on. They started popping off right after I took that photo. Apparently Watanabe center caps don't have any positive retention on the mounting clips  :confused:

my_1200_037.JPG

Nothing a little filing can't fix...

my_1200_040.JPG

Now they stick like glue.  B)

my_1200_024.JPG

Stupid caps wouldn't stay on. They started popping off right after I took that photo. Apparently Watanabe center caps don't have any positive retention on the mounting clips  :confused:

I think thats Wheel Jesus letting you know youre a poser. 

• Like 2
I just cant stand those wheels. Something about the shape of the spokes. I do however like RBs, Panasports, and Wats. I dont like minilights.

Oh I love the NEW Enkie Compes coming out!

These are exact copies of Watanabes.   B)

There are about 6 different spoke styles of Watanabes though. This is the less common "Type R". 

And the Enkei Compe wheels are nice. But only come in 15", and in pussy offsets.   :sleep:

I wouldnt say exact.

I figured out the problem. Its the spokes at the center of the rim. The way they taper into the flat part. On these the bend of the spoke is very abrupt. But on the Wats the bend is over a great distance.

I wouldnt say exact.

I figured out the problem. Its the spokes at the center of the rim. The way they taper into the flat part. On these the bend of the spoke is very abrupt. But on the Wats the bend is over a great distance.

Really? I guess we'll agree to disagree...

I know they aren't 100% exact, or else they'd probably get sued, but the difference looks very minuscule to me...

13931697.JPG

:fu:

Just using them because I like the style of the caps. Not pretending they are "real".  :frantics:

I knew some wheel whore purist would let me have it as soon as I posted the pics.  :cool:

They all are copies of the old Mini lites from the 60s. :rolleyes:

Ahhh, At first i cut and hammered the inner well up and just did a million tack welds like everyone does and it looks like shit. I cut mine really low because i had a feeling i would hate it. This time im going to cut a bit higher and spot weld the 2 sheets together and roll it back flat. Ive always been weary of taking the fender lip all the way out because it adds so much strength to the sheet metal. Ill throw up some pics when i cut mine again.

The million tack welds is probably how I'll do the 210. I know it looks hideous, but no one will ever see it, so...   ^_^

I like the fold-over method for the 1200. Just depends how well I can "hide" that behind the flare. 

I dont care who copied who. Noticed I like Rota RBs... I just dont like Rewinds or Minilites. It has everything to do with the way the spoke transitions to the center part of the wheel. But now that I have had the luxury, I think Im going to stay with light weight wheels.

now that I have had the luxury, I think Im going to stay with light weight wheels.

FWIW, these Rewinds are 13 pounds each. Lighter than any Watanabes I've owned.  

For gits and shiggles I sent an email to Minilite to see what some black 13x8s will set me back. We'll see...

Color%20Black-Gloss%2013x9_500.jpg

Another cool paint for the dimpled look is the Hammerite, Come in a cool dark almost black as well as black. Wheels look tough, Think I will shoot mine all black after seeing the difference. Keep up your momentum, a lot of us are living vicariously through your checking account. :)

And to make you feel just a % better, I have read the entire thread.Keep it up

Another cool paint for the dimpled look is the Hammerite, Come in a cool dark almost black as well as black. 

I looked at using that for quite awhile. In the end, I felt like the texture was too "big" for the look I wanted. But I am curious what it would look like...

Polished lips with that Hammerite gunmetal grey paint on the centers would look pretty cool.  :thumbup: