'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

Yeah, it's fun trying to explain to non-texans how we all live in east Texas, but if I go to visit you guys, I usually make sleeping arrangements along the route.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was too drunk to mention it last night, but the fitment on those flares looks way better than I remember when I saw them in person. Did you have to do a lot of trimming, or did the bolts pull them into shape?

the fitment on those flares looks way better than I remember when I saw them in person. Did you have to do a lot of trimming, or did the bolts pull them into shape?

No trimming necessary. Just a matter of fiddling with them to find the right spot to mount them, and the screws did flush them up a bit as well.    :thumbup:

Yeah, it's fun trying to explain to non-texans how we all live in east Texas, but if I go to visit you guys, I usually make sleeping arrangements along the route.

My Mom used to live in Austin, and I would drive from the Los Angeles area to Austin.  When you arrive at El Paso, you are only have the way there!!!  Half the distance is in Texas alone...

Good times.  That's a BIG State :)

My Mom used to live in Austin, and I would drive from the Los Angeles area to Austin.  When you arrive at El Paso, you are only have the way there!!!  Half the distance is in Texas alone...

Funny, had a friend in southeast California email me about a 1200 for sale in El Paso. I said, "dude, you're closer to it than I am!"...   :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the right side flare done yesterday. Then pushed it outside again to see how it looks all settled down. Only to be annoyed...  <_<

You see, previously the left side wheel seemed to be just a bit too far back in the wheel opening. I thought "no big deal, car is so low it probably just needs the toe adjusted and that'll sort it out". So now that the right side is done, the wheel on that side fits in the hole perfectly.  :frantics:

So we pushed it back in and got it up off the ground as high as we could. Turns out that even though I took a million measurements during the IRS swap, I somehow made a small mistake on the crossmember mounts that pushed the left side back just a wee bit. So now I get to take the whole thing apart and fix that one little mistake.  :hmm:

Going to try and make some lemonade out of these lemons though by tweaking a few other things while it's apart. Oics to follow...  

• 1 month later...

New shop you say. Bigger? You were kinda cramped last I saw. What you gonna do with all of the parts cars around there?

Most of the parts cars are going to the scrapper. Just keeping the cars we plan to build. New shop is bigger when it comes to work space, but it'll depend on how we arrange things as to whether or not it will be "cramped". 

New shop:

7a76d79ae64511e2b8cc22000a1d2017_7.jpg

The two bays on the right will be for parts storage and some tools/workbenches. The big bay on the left will be for whatever two cars we are building at the time. There's storage around back for 2-3 more cars that are awaiting rebuild.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Kilo Tango,

I have a couple 1200s I might be willing to part with.  I'm not going to lie though, I'll want more than they are worth... probably by  LOOOOOOOOONG shot.  

Kilo Tango,

I have a couple 1200s I might be willing to part with.  I'm not going to lie though, I'll want more than they are worth... probably by  LOOOOOOOOONG shot.  

Wow, a Seven , Spitfire, and original Mini, along with 1200s. Impressive. It's not very often that the 1200 is the biggest car in the group.

We wouldn't do that.   B)

It's just some rusty/wrecked parts cars that no one will miss. 

Except us.

When we need a part off of one.    :rofl:

I have a '72 1200 2dr. sedan that my dad bought new. I inherited it and wanted to race it in auto x. Very good original, un-restored condition. Everyone replying on my thread tells me I am nuts if I cut it up for racing, so It gets a resto job and I need a 1200 shell for a race car. Using all fiberglass panels, just need a straight frame. Would rather have a Coupe than a Sedan for a race car anyway. Multiple people advised me to contact you saying you are a 1200 Guru. Rhapakatui said "buy him some sushi and pick his brain". My buddy owns an aircraft repair station at the Denton airport, so fabrication, fiberglass work, steel and aluminum welding are no problem. Just looking for a little guidance. I PMd you with contact info. Thanks for your time.

DSCN1362_zps62362329.jpg

Wow, a Seven , Spitfire, and original Mini, along with 1200s. Impressive. It's not very often that the 1200 is the biggest car in the group.

I passed a friend on the freeway on the way to work one day then hung out at his pool a few weeks later.  He asked me what that "little car" was that I was driving when I'd seen him.  I had to think hard about what he was talking about because I was driving my huge-assed Hyundai Genesis Coupe!