'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

I'd go blue. It would look nice with the white imo. If you had done the flares in black I would've said black :P

Oh, and for some reason I completely missed this thread until this weekend. This is awesome. I never really liked the coupes because the two door sedans are so sexy, but now I'm torn between trying to find a 1200 coupe or sedan. I guess which ever one I stumble on first with enough cash in had will have to work.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking on the whiper snapper ftl :crying:

It's cool though, I just hadn't seen any non-race spec 1200 coupes that I liked. Datsunfreak opened my eyes when he posted the white coupe he is slightly making a replica of :P

Would you guys happen to have a source for OEM style water pumps? The one I got is one of those aftermarket ones with the thin blades. Loving the engine. Need more specs so I can copy you with my A15 :ninja:

Would you guys happen to have a source for OEM style water pumps? 

Nissan dealer?   ^_^

If you wanna save a few bucks, you can shop around carefully and often find reman OEM pumps at your local chain auto parts store. I usually just find a store that has one, open the box and see which style it is, and if it's wrong move on to the next store.  Usually at least 50% have the right impeller.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

pretty sure I posted here,  why is it never in my content

It did get moved from the 1200 section to the project section? I know that kind of screws with what's in your content and what isn't. Now that you've posted in it again it may fix the problem... 

I'm torn between trying to find a 1200 coupe or sedan. I guess which ever one I stumble on first with enough cash in had will have to work.

That's kind of the way with 1200s. If you want one, you buy whichever comes up first. They are that hard to find. 

Luckily for me and Tim, a 1200 sedan has never come up for sale here.   :rofl:

Heck, I'm not sure I've ever seen one in Texas at all?? I know kilotango has one but he keeps it hidden away from prying eyes...

• Like 1

It did get moved from the 1200 section to the project section? I know that kind of screws with what's in your content and what isn't. Now that you've posted in it again it may fix the problem... 

That's kind of the way with 1200s. If you want one, you buy whichever comes up first. They are that hard to find. 

Heck, I'm not sure I've ever seen one in Texas at all?? I know kilotango has one but he keeps it hidden away from prying eyes...

I'm thinking about selling mine, I'm either going to sell it or put a CA18DET in it, too many projects, and getting too old to finish them all. :confused:

I have 1&1/3 Sedans if you count the rear clip. Thanks to Datsunfreak and Dimlight65 I have a 1200 Sedan and Coupe, so I don't have to choose.

• Like 1

Loving the engine. Need more specs so I can copy you with my A15 :ninja:

Nothing earth-shattering really...

Stock A15 bottom end, heavily ported A14 oval port head (forgot which casting number it is), probably the stock cam and gears for now (possibly adjustable cam gear and bigger cam later), will likely get some BProjects rocker spacers and better valve springs, do a basic valve job, then using 40mm Solex carbs on a polished HKS intake (not sure if real HKS or copy, but same design), Nismo header, will be running the B310 A15 dizzy, then a lightened flywheel with Daiken street clutch (trying to resist the urge for a race clutch), 60-series dogleg 5spd back to the 510 IRS. 

• Like 1

Shopping list:

Bus ticket

Water

Duffle bag

7 steaks

Got it, thanks :P

So I have a question about your flares. Are those the ones specifically for the 1200? I'm looking for flares for the B210 but I'm not sure if VG flares are the right style to fit the wheel wells. Do you happen to know of a supplier for those? 

Also, I was planning on using R1 carbs. Should I plug the water ports from the H89 head? I was thinking that plugging these would actually reduce the overall coolant flow of the engine, but are those ports important for cooling? Sorry to pick your brain in your build thread. I'm hoping that all of my questions will make you post more picks of that beautiful 1200 :P

• Like 1

So I have a question about your flares. Are those the ones specifically for the 1200? 

Yes, they came from Classic Datsun Motorsports and are a direct copy of a very popular Japanese flare. They fit a 1200 perfectly, and almost nothing else...   :rofl:

http://classicdatsun.com/new/1200_Parts.html

I'm looking for flares for the B210 but I'm not sure if VG flares are the right style to fit the wheel wells. Do you happen to know of a supplier for those? 

The 240ZG flares are actually a very good fit for a B210.  :thumbup:

Best price/quality/bang for the buck: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02c/50-1562

Also, I was planning on using R1 carbs. Should I plug the water ports from the H89 head? I was thinking that plugging these would actually reduce the overall coolant flow of the engine, but are those ports important for cooling? 

Those ports are for warming up the intake runners. In cold weather it can prevent "icing" and it does help emissions a bit. 

FYI, numerous OEM L-series and A-series heads didn't come with them at all, so at least Nissan didn't deem them to be 100% "necessary".  You'll notice my head doesn't have any either. I would have no qualms about plugging them. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the block painted and started assembly. New gaskets and seals throughout, new water pump, etc. 

20131228_113520.jpg

Wanted to paint the pulleys blue, but changed my mind at the last minute. Also got some cooler hardware to attach the water pump pulley...

20131228_113528.jpg

Dipstick, oil pump, and fuel pump block off back on...

20131228_113543.jpg

Used the same type of hardware from the water pump pulley here, and will replace a few more bolts as we go...

20131228_113549.jpg

Head gasket test fit...

20131228_125355.jpg

Head test fit...

20131228_131119.jpg

Oil pan back on. Decided to go black instead of blue because the blue is so bright...

20131228_131103.jpg

Cleaned and painted a spare valve cover to get an idea what the finished product will look like...

20131228_134012.jpg

• Like 3

I spy some twins on the milk crate

Yes, twin 40 Solexes for this engine.  :thumbup:

Is the motor that bent pushrods?

No sir, that's a different engine (A14). That engine will soon be torn down and the monster cam removed as it finally stopped bending pushrods and decided instead to start breaking rocker arms...   :rofl:

We have a few stock A14 cams, one of which will go in it, then we will most likely put it in Tim's Spitfire. :thumbup: