'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the crossmember out of the car after measuring and recording it's location in relation to the firewall and radiator support, etc. 

It's a MadDat crossmember set up for a CA18DET or SR20DE(T)...

IMG00136.jpg

This engine came out of a 1200, but it had custom engine brackets (and was solid mounted), but I didn't want to go that way, so I set about finding a solution. My spare junk Z20S had no brackets on it (crap!), but a spare A15 from a 210 did. For shits and giggles, test fit them on the Z20S and they bolted right on!

Even lined up... Sort of...   ^_^

crap_005.JPG

If you look closely you can see that urethane mount sits flat on the other side, but doesn't sit flat on this side.  <_<

Also if we look underneath, there's a 1/2" gap between the pan and crossmember on the other side, but just over an inch on this side. Shit's crooked, yo...   :frantics:

crap_007.JPG

So, made very careful measurements, made my cuts, all while test fitting it a few times, and when I was happy with the outcome, Tim welded it up for me and I shot a bit of paint on it. Job done.  :thumbup:

crap_0091.JPG

Will get some better pics of the parts mounted up next week, but the oil pan is now perfectly level to the crossmember.  :thumbup:

I'll remove the other side mount and paint it too so it looks "even". Might also slot the mounting holes on both brackets just a tad to get the engine another 1/4" lower. Currently the pan is exactly 1/2" above the crossmember, but the sump is lower than the bottom of the crossmember. So if I go much lower with the engine, we may be building a skid plate.  B)

You may consider elongating the engine mount brackets where they mount to the block

That's the first thing I tried.   ^_^

Whatever steel these are made of, it's hard. Damn hard. Tried several methods, and it appears nothing short of a torch is going to make it happen.   :rofl:

That's the first thing I tried.   ^_^

Whatever steel these are made of, it's hard. Damn hard. Tried several methods, and it appears nothing short of a torch is going to make it happen.   :rofl:

Well, not to place blame but, by quenching it after I zooked it last week MIGHT have something to do with the hardness.

No oics, but there was progress...   ^_^

Got the crossmember back off, took the oil pan off, and took the timing cover off. Made sure the cam timing was set correctly (there was doubt), and had to re-insert the chain tensioner (there was a cam change by the PO who let it pop out, hence the doubt). Cleaned up the timing cover, installed a new front crank seal, and put it back on with a new gasket. Then re-installed oil pan with a new gasket. Next week I'll put the water pump back on with a new gasket, and put on a new valve cover gasket. Gladly, the engine still looks brand new on the inside, not surprising since it only has about 8-10k miles since it was completely rebuilt, and the PO changed the oil religiously. 

After that, it's into the car we go.  :cool:

I love this build thread. I currently have 2 coupes in storage and this thread (and http://high-top-fade.blogspot.com/search/label/B110) are some of the reasons why I will be pulling one of them out soon. Also, some of the pics arent loading, I would love to see some more pics if you got them. Thanks

some of the pics arent loading, I would love to see some more pics if you got them. Thanks

Early on in the build process I had the photos hosted on a different site, which unfortunately crashed, taking all my photos with it. The majority of the relevant stuff can be found here: 

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3491

I'd say you're definitely in the lead on who's gonna start their car first, but you'll probably end up working on Tim's car enough for him to catch up.

Once I get my frame home, I may be able to catch up a bit as long as the beer drinking stays at a moderate pace around here.

Can't wait to get everything running so we can crash some of those z car events up there and break their hearts with our built dattos.

I'd say you're definitely in the lead on who's gonna start their car first, but you'll probably end up working on Tim's car enough for him to catch up.

Story of my life.   :rofl:

But I get a lot of enjoyment out of working on Tim's car(s), so it's all good.  :thumbup:

Story of my life.   :rofl:

But I get a lot of enjoyment out of working on Tim's car(s), so it's all good.  :thumbup:

Why don't you come to Colorado, and get some enjoyment working on mine for a while! :thumbup:

More progress without oics...   :rolleyes:

Water pump/gasket back on, new valve cover gasket on, water neck back on timing cover, painted and cleaned a lot more stuff on the engine, polished on the valve cover some (needs more)...

So basically, we finally have the engine ready to go in the car. Next week I'll get the transmission cleaned up and bolted to the engine so we can get it bolted in the car (finally) the week after that,   :thumbup:

Oh, and oics for sure next time. I swear.  :rofl:

Plane ticket and a place to crash and I'm all yours.   :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer, If I hadn't lost my flight benifits for the next 6 months and was settled in to my new house, I would take you up on that. Maybe this summer, when you are tired of the Texas heat we could do that! B)

Minor progress today, but it needed to be done...

Got tired of looking at these empty holes...

datto_001.JPG

Found some rain trays, scrubbed down and painted them...

datto_003.JPG

Got my South African Bakkie vent covers painted and put on...

datto_006.JPG

And to do some real work...   :rofl:

Crawled under the car and unbolted the idler arm, steering gearbox, center linkage and tie rods. Once I pop the steering wheel off, it'll all slide out to make room for the RHD bits...

datto_011.JPG