'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this pic of the white Japanese car, you can clearly see how they're supposed to be mounted. Notice they don't come all the way to the bottom of the fender in the front?

That's why both I and Les mounted them wrong. We thought they were supposed to go all the way down to the bottom of the fender. They are not. :no:

kbzs55.jpg

Sold the deep dish gold wheels and got a different set. I liked the first wheels (gold spoke, polished lip) that were Equip 03 reps, but they just weren't wide enough. So I found someone that makes 15x8" wide reps. :P

Chocolate Santa dropped these off a few hours ago...

crap_0054.JPG

With just enough time to make a mad dash to the tire store and get some 195/45-15 Falken Ziex 912s mounted up. :thumbup:

crap_007.JPG

Test fit on the car to come in the morning... B)

Just had to have the same wheels as me, didn't you? lol You could have gone wider on the rear tires if you wanted to, I have 205/50X15s on mine, and there is room for more. I could have gotten by without the flares in the rear, but had to have them for the front. Also the 205/50s make the speedo spot on, win! :D

You could have gone wider on the rear tires if you wanted to, I have 205/50X15s on mine, and there is room for more.

These are already too wide for me. :P

I could have gotten by without the flares in the rear, but had to have them for the front. Also the 205/50s make the speedo spot on, win! :D

Yeah, but the '50s are too tall for my taste, hence the 45s I ended up with. For me, I think 1200s need tires that are closer to 22" tall (195/45-15) than 23" tall (like the 205/50-15). But it's just a preference. ;)

Yours are 15x7 right?

These are already too wide for me. :P

Yeah, but the '50s are too tall for my taste, hence the 45s I ended up with. For me, I think 1200s need tires that are closer to 22" tall (195/45-15) than 23" tall (like the 205/50-15). But it's just a preference. ;)

Yours are 15x7 right?

Yes mine are 15X7, I'm more interested in ride and handling than looks. 205/50X15 is already a lot lower profile than the original 12s.

Lower profile, yes. But much taller overall. I wanted a tire that was as close as possible to the stock diameter.

And on this car, it's 99% looks for me... :P

Mine are stock diameter, speedometer is spot on.

Mine are stock diameter, speedometer is spot on.

Might want to check your math on that. ;)

The average 205/50-15 is 23.1" tall. The stock 1200 tire is a 155R-12 (aka 155/80-12) which is 21.8" tall. My 195/45-15 is 21.9" tall, which is as close as you can get to the stock diameter with a 15" tire. Yours are over an inch taller than stock.

I don't doubt the speedo accuracy at all. That's very possible. But that doesn't mean your tires are near the stock diameter. :)

I think he is running a 5 speed trans.....wouldn't the speedo gear in the 5 speed be different than the original 4 speed ( I don't really know, just guessin that would figure in also)

OK, I'm just gonna shut up now :blush:

Might want to check your math on that. ;)

The average 205/50-15 is 23.1" tall. The stock 1200 tire is a 155R-12 (aka 155/80-12) which is 21.8" tall. My 195/45-15 is 21.9" tall, which is as close as you can get to the stock diameter with a 15" tire. Yours are over an inch taller than stock.

I don't doubt the speedo accuracy at all. That's very possible. But that doesn't mean your tires are near the stock diameter. :)

You have to allow for the fact that mine has a complete 210 drive train so the size matches what ever size came on the 210. My GPS shows 50mph when the speedo says 50mph, then gets a little fast beyond that 70 = 68.

You have to allow for the fact that mine has a complete 210 drive train so the size matches what ever size came on the 210.

Exactly. That's why I said I don't doubt for a second your speedo is accurate. Just saying your tires are too tall for me. Not for you. B)

210s had 22.9" tires, so your size is perfect for your car. :thumbup:

4-speed and 5-speed for A-series usually has the same speedometer drive gear installed.

But the speedometers themselves are all over the place. One may be 15% different from another the same year.

Drive gear is matched to rear end ratio, type of trans makes no difference.

Today's progress...

My what big rotors you have... ^_^

crap_004s.jpg

Flare moved up to where it's supposed to be, and reclocked a bit. Moved the back up 1/2", moved the front up just a tad over 1".

crap_016s.jpg

Overall view, suspension compressed, no wheel spacer, camber changed from -4 to -1. Fits decent. Still may need 1/4-1/2" spacer.

crap_018s.jpg

Since this was a success flare-wise, I'll take it back off next week, trim the fender a bit more for some extra clearance, then see how it looks with the rubber welting in place. :thumbup:

• Like 1