'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct. If you read what I wrote, I said I believe it was a GTR. I couldnt remember what car I saw the flares on... just that I had. You can tell its an S13 by the upturned corner lighs/headlights. It just has a GTR replica front bumper. Thats why my memory thought GTR until I found the picture.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a Coleman "circle track" quick release, not fancy but small/compact, light, and effective. Removed the center section that welds on to the steering shaft (no turning back from that) and test fit it on the column shaft. Since it's made for an old Chevy column it was of course way too loose a fit. Dug through my nut bin and found a fairly thin wall nut that not only fit the column shaft, but would just press fit into the quick release "nut". Also made a shim to take up the slack at the bottom. Nice tight fit now... B)

column_1200_001s.jpg

After taking that pic I welded all that together. Since the circle track style quick release is set up for a "Grant" 3-bolt wheel, and I don't really want to use an old school Grant wheel, I found an adapter to go from the Grant 3-bolt to a Momo/Personal style 6-bolt. It came highly polished aluminum, so of course I just had to scuff it up and paint it satin black. :P

column_1200_002s.jpg

Found a deep dish wheel I like with a blue top stripe and blue stitching (car has blue interior). Fits up to the adapter well, and since this quick release is so shallow the deep dish wheel still comes out at a good spot for me. Used one too many "flat" wheels in my Datsuns and I wanted to try something a little different this time.

column_1200_003s.jpg

And since the horn button that came with the wheel looked kinda "ricey" I tossed it and made my own. I've had a few sets of generic "Datsun" wheel (road, not steering) center cap stickers kicking around for awhile, so I trimmed one down slightly and used it to make a fun one-off horn button.

Looking good John... I have to figure something out for my horn button and figure out a proper column attachment, since I too picked up a new wheel. At least having no money means I get to plan out a proper path since I cant buy anything yet haha.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Picked up an engine for it today, Z20S from an '80 510...

crap_0033.JPG

Gonna need some cleaning and a few gaskets (couple of tiny oil leaks), but it ran really strong so I don't think it'll need a rebuild.

Also picked up a short-tail 5spd from an '81 510...

crap_0091.JPG

It also needs a good scrubbing but is a know-to-be-good trans, so should go in as is. :thumbup:

Still ruminating on front brakes (already have 280ZX disc brakes in the rear), saw these in the salvage yard and decided to give them a bash...

crap_0111.JPG

They came off a 2007 Kia Spectra. Mainly grabbed them because the rotors are the right bolt pattern, are a decent size (10.5" diameter, 1" thick), and because the calipers are aluminum (crazy light). Test fit looks good...

crap_014.JPG

FYI, those are a spare pair of struts I had in the shop, the stuff on the car isn't that "crusty". ^_^

Amazingly enough, while the bolt spacing is wrong, it lines up perfectly with all 4 bolt holes in a straight row. Making brackets to bolt up the calipers should be a piece of cake. Stay tuned...

some pics dont load now

Yeah, noticed that... ^_^

Website I have them hosted on has been having a lot of issues... :hmm:

but it seams like it coming along great!

At a snail's pace, but yes. Coming along steady. Only goal right now is to have the engine in and plumbed and the suspension/brakes done by December 21st. Then round two is wiring and interior. Wish me luck... :bye:

Picked up these 13x8 Cragars for my 210 coupe, so decided to throw them on the 1200 for a goof. Ummm... No. :rofl:

crap_0022.JPG

Might look okay with some smaller tires. but chrome on a white car doesn't work for me...

Got my eye on some 14x7s that I should be getting in a week or two. Stay tuned...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...