'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer that.  The US vents are just flat metal perforated with the slots.  They are made to go under those horrible little scoop thingies 1200s had on the cowl.  South African Bakkies didn't have the scoops (at least the later ones apparently) and so their vent covers had a... hmm, how to describe it?  They have a "lip" bent down around the edge and stand slightly proud of a flat surface.  Since they also go into a recess in the cowl, they therefore sit flush... sort of thing.  They just look more "finished."

John, accurate enough?

They are made to go under those horrible little scoop thingies 1200s had on the cowl.

Horribly ugly, and impossible to find any that are not cracked. 

South African Bakkies didn't have the scoops (at least the later ones apparently) and so their vent covers had a "lip" bent down around the edge and stand slightly proud of a flat surface.   they therefore sit flush... sort of thing.  They just look more "finished." John, accurate enough?

Yes, their trucks stopped getting the plastic 1200 "wave" scoops in '79-80, and used this style all the way until the end of the run in 2007. And yes, accurate description.

I have also seen a plastic version that looks exactly like mine (these are steel), so it's possible they even made a third change at some point (just in materials, not appearance). 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Too busy working on friend's cars to finish my own...   :rofl:

This Saturday I'm going to chase you off with that big-assed croissant wrench if you try to work on my car and not yours!  Deal?

Except for pictures... you can take pictures of my car!

Damn, thats a big tool!

Wait....that didn't come out just right

Thats the biggest tool I've........

oh forget it

• Like 1

See, the joke is this. Tim has one of these in his tool box. and every time I ask for a crescent wrench, he hands this to me...   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

batman-wrench.jpg

I have one of those too, but I actually use mine.

Some guys just like to show theirs off.

• Like 1

Finally got off the pot and finished removing the LHD steering column. got the column surround off, wheel off, turn signal switch off, and realized no one had ever removed the ignition switch before...   <_<

crap_0034.jpg

Then finally was able to take the LHD column/gearbox out. Removed the tie rods from the stock center link and started prepping the RHD column/gearbox to go in. Got the hole cut in the firewall and popped it in.

crap_0151.jpg

And then, things got worse. The steering had a huge dead spot on center, maybe half a turn of slack in it. Adjusting the box made almost zero difference as well, just made it tighter and crunchier, so...

So we took it all back out and very carefully disassembled the steering gearbox to see what was up inside that was making all the ugliness. Turns out somehow either in transit from Japan, or while handling it on this end or that end, someone mangled the shit out of the front bearing in the gearbox.  :huh:

crap_0172.jpg

Fortunately, since I had just removed a good working gearbox, we then disassembled it and removed the front bearing from the LHD gearbox and put it in the RHD gearbox. Worked a treat, even though reassembly kicked both our asses...   :lol:

Back in the car it went, and now everything works perfectly. Steering is super smooth with almost zero slack in it now.  Thankfully the RHD gearbox came from a 1992 model so it's tight as a drum. Well, except for that front bearing of course.  :thumbup:

crap_0141.jpg

As you can see from that pic, still need to go in and cut the old LHD column support out of the car...   :rofl:

See, the joke is this. Tim has one of these in his tool box. and every time I ask for a crescent wrench, he hands this to me...   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

batman-wrench.jpg

I'm jealous, mine is only a 16" :fu:

Turns out we are being "evicted" from the shop next month and have to find a new home, so decided to go ahead and make it a "roller" for now...

Got the front crossmember back in, and everything hooked up there. Finished off the right front flare, then did the left front flare. Got the wheels on, toe-in and camber set where I want them (sort of  :lol: ), and spun it around to do some work out back.

Crap pic of the "finished" front end...

front_flare_done.JPG

Got the rear up on jackstands, test fit the rear disc brakes, and started on fitting the rear flares.

In two weeks I'll get a chance to work on it again and should be able to fit up the rear brakes and rear flares. At that point, it'll be on indefinite hold until we find a new home for the shop.  <_<

• 2 weeks later...

So much win.

My projects are totally stifled by life. Any progress is progress.

Do work man. When she's on the road, we gotta start some Texas datto meets. We're spread out more than those lucky pnw punks, but gotta represent Texas Ratsun!

Rhapakatui, I was about to invite you to the monthly Old School meet in Southlake tomorrow... until I consulted Google Maps.  You'd probably have to leave right now to make it.