'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

Had to take the head apart a bit as I noticed it had no valve stem seals and no spacers under the springs...   :rofl:

Installing seals and spacers...

20140104_110955.jpg

Cleaned and lapped the valves while they were apart, and then cleaned the head gasket surface...

20140104_113759.jpg

Head torqued down and intake gasket surface cleaned...

20140104_120532.jpg

Closeup of the BProjects rocker spacers. Nice addition to an A-series...

20140104_120547.jpg

Wasted a lot of time on trial and error, and taking another spare head apart to get the valve spring spacers out of it. And to add insult to injury, the rocker shaft that came from my head was so badly damaged that it's basically junk. Had to pull one from another head. And even it was scored badly under two of the rocker arms, but we were able to polish it out enough to make it work smoothly again. That took quite awhile as well...

At least it all works correctly now. All that's left to do before install is bolting on the flywheel/clutch/trans, installing the master cylinder hard lines (much easier to do it now with the engine out), and adjusting the rocker arms. 

If I play my cards right, we should have it bolted into the car next Saturday.   :thumbup:

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goal was to bolt the engine into the car today. Failed...   :yawn:

Got the engine off the stand at least. Installed a new oil filter. Wanted to put on a FRAM just to troll the shit out of you guys, but RockAuto had K&Ns on closeout so...

20140111_083552.jpg

Got the alt brackets cleaned and painted, also got more allen button heads for all the alt attachment bolts...

20140111_132615.jpg

Got all the intake/exhaust studs swapped over from the other head. Yes, that's a stunt valve cover I'm just using for the install so I don't scratch the pretty one...

20140111_092541.jpg

Got the lightened flywheel and Centerforce clutch installed...

20140111_130644.jpg

Installed new Nissan thermostat and gasket, cleaned and painted the water neck, and installed more button heads...

20140111_132624.jpg

Then got ready to stab the trans onto the engine, and...

Decided to check the clutch throwout bearing just in case. And it's toast.  :sneaky:

We couldn't find one local, so no engine install for me today...    <_<

I'll order 2-3 of them online for next week, and the future, so this doesn't happen again...  

• Like 2

Grabbed a pedal and cable from the junkyard today (2003 Mazda Tribute)...

20140114_170608.jpg

Hardest problem on a RHD car is finding a gas pedal where the pad is to the left of the pivot point (99% are directly under, or to the right of it), so I spent a looong time rooting around in the junkyard looking for one that did...

As a nice bonus, the cable from the same car looks like a good length.    :thumbup:

Oh shiney! Would this shiney be another unobtainium part or something readily available at less than Leno prices? I need one for the B210 so I can stop beating the starter on test starts...

I got this one from Rockauto. They show to have at one more of the one I got in stock (line #2). They also list a Delco reman (line #5) for a few bucks more, but it would at least appear that they have plenty of those. 

Better get one fast. When payday comes I might buy a few more, so...    :rofl:

jj0gsn.jpg

Coolest thing ever came in the mail today...   B)

For many years I've been using the 280ZX gear reduction starter on 510s as it's a very nice upgrade.  But what I never knew was that Nissan also made one for the A-Series.    :w00t:

I like this...

20140115_181945.jpg

I like it too. Where did you find it?

The gear reduction starter is about $100 last time I bought one. All the usual auto parts places sell them.

And they don't fit most B210s. Will fit 1978s.

Why don't they fit? Will they fit a1200?

I'll take some pics of it when it's installed to see how close it is to the engine mount. For anyone who has a 1200 with an A12 I'll also try it on an A12 engine and see just how close it is and what needs to be done.  :thumbup:

Seems like on a B210 you'd just need to get the engine bracket from a 210?