'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

Mine shows 11 volts or less at idle, and this is the second one, both the same.

Mine shows 13.3-13.4 at idle and 13.8-13.9 at 3000-4000rpm.

Are you 100% sure yours has an aftermarket self-exciting regulator installed? One with the factory regulator would do exactly what you described. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was cut short a bit, but went well...

Got the valves adjusted and a new valve cover gasket put on. Notice I used the same allen screws for this...

normal_20140201_095227.jpg

Dug out the set of AutoMeter gauges we had set aside (thanks Tim!)...

normal_20140201_095455.jpg

Installed the senders in the engine for the AutoMeter gauges and while about to add even more wiring to the engine bay, Tim says "oh no you're not"...

So we pulled the entire engine bay harness out...

normal_20140201_105524.jpg

Looks so clean with no wiring, wish it could stay that way...   :rofl:

normal_20140201_105548.jpg

Unwrapped the entire harness and removed every single unused wire and plug. There were a lot...    :P

normal_20140201_122507.jpg

Necessary wiring ran back into the engine compartment...

normal_20140201_120202.jpg

Next week we will reroute them where they need to go and rewrap the harness...   :thumbup:

While Tim was gutting my harness I got to work on the carb stacks...

A little before and after test fit...

normal_20140201_111154.jpg

Cut the old stacks down to where they just fit inside the new ones. Will attach them with epoxy for a better fit and reinstall them next week.   :thumbup:

This is with them cleaned up a bit and just press fit onto the old stacks...

normal_20140201_120612.jpg

I was afeared the bells on the stacks were too wide and would hit each other but it looks like all 4 are about 2mm apart.   :wub:

• Like 3

Didn't address this...

The vehicle that this alternator was originally designed for would have had a bigger drive pulley I would think. 

These particular Nippondenso alternators were originally made for propane-powered forklifts. I wouldn't think they'd have a bigger pulley since they are spinning such low RPMs?

Dug out the set of AutoMeter gauges we had set aside (thanks Tim!)...

normal_20140201_095455.jpg

And although it looks like they were LITERALLY "dug out" of the ground, they have just been kicking around two different shop locations for a while.

• Like 1

I think Tim has the trademark on putting San Rio stuff on a middle aged man's hot rod. John would have to pay royalties every time he got a complement about the hello kitty stacks. Maybe Tim could incorporate that into his 210.

Mine shows 13.3-13.4 at idle and 13.8-13.9 at 3000-4000rpm.

Are you 100% sure yours has an aftermarket self-exciting regulator installed? One with the factory regulator would do exactly what you described. 

That's what I paid for.

Didn't address this...

These particular Nippondenso alternators were originally made for propane-powered forklifts. I wouldn't think they'd have a bigger pulley since they are spinning such low RPMs?

Opposite, smaller pulley to spin faster, larger would slow it down. That is why I said the fork would have a larger drive pulley on the crank to speed it up more.

That's what I paid for.

Honestly, it sounds like something is wrong with yours, or at the very least you didn't get what you paid for. Like I said, we've used a lot of these and never had that issue.

Opposite, smaller pulley to spin faster, larger would slow it down. That is why I said the fork would have a larger drive pulley on the crank to speed it up more.

Sorry, thought you meant big pulley on the alt, not the crank.   ;)

Looked up the specs on the regulator. It should have a 1000rpm kick-in, as in it starts charging when the alternator hits 1000rpm, then it stays on until it stops spinning. That should be at (or even below?) the average engine idle speed.  :confused:

Maybe you should try a new regulator?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denso-Nippondenso-Alternator-Voltage-Regulator-1-WIRE-/330260739910?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce512f746&vxp=mtr

Looked up the specs on the regulator. It should have a 1000rpm kick-in, as in it starts charging when the alternator hits 1000rpm, then it stays on until it stops spinning. That should be at (or even below?) the average engine idle speed.  :confused:

Maybe you should try a new regulator?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denso-Nippondenso-Alternator-Voltage-Regulator-1-WIRE-/330260739910?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce512f746&vxp=mtr

That is all dependant on the pulley ratio as original, that is why I think the original application had a bigger pulley on the crank. This is the second one, and both need at least 1500 rpm to get abouve 12 volts. Same vendor from ebay too.

Did a few more things today... So much to do... Finish 5 things, think of 10 more to do...   :rofl:

Picked up a set of NGK wires and got them installed...

normal_20140208_084754.jpg

Dug out my GL console. Looks like it will fit decent, but needs a lot of TLC...

normal_20140208_091819.jpg

Installed the shifter, the driver's seat bracket, and test fit my Sparco EVO3 and it won't fit.  :sneaky:

Tried one of Tim's Corbeau Forza seats and it fits pretty good...   :thumbup:

normal_20140208_110414.jpg

Test fit the dash. Yes it's brown. No it won't stay brown.   :rofl:

normal_20140208_132739.jpg

Picked up a set of urethane boots for the tie rods and ball joints... 

normal_20140208_113852.jpg

It was an ass kicker but I got the tie rods off and the urethane boots installed. Oddly enough, the tie rods are brand new but have sat for so long (10+ years) the rubber boots went a bit rotten and split open. These should last a lot longer than the rubber boots.  :thumbup:

Tim put in lots more work on the engine harness, then decided to take my dash harness apart too.   :rofl:

It now has about half of it's wiring removed. Should get it all back together next week.   :thumbup:

• Like 2

By the way that looks like a non-GL console (GL came with full size console with place to fit a clock). USA Deluxe 1200s with automatics used the little console

Sorry, I was always told the GX console had the clock? Matters not I suppose. Not a fan of the clock anyway.   :rofl:

I will call it a Deluxe console in the future then.   :thumbup:

Been looking online at seats. Not a huge fan of the Forza as it has a steel frame, isn't terribly comfortable, and is slightly heavy for a "race bucket".

Thinking either Corbeau FX1 (had these in two other cars, loved them)...

Corbeau_FX1_Pro_blue.jpg

Or an Ultrashield Rally Sport aluminum seat (crazy light weight and not too spendy)...

160_lg.jpg

• Like 1