'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried out the throttle linkage rod noticed that not only does it hit the header (easy fix), but the center pull is going to make it very tough to make the cable work. 

Tried a few things and decided to weld a cable wheel to the end of the throttle linkage rod...

20140125_134156.jpg

Put a little black paint on it so it wouldn't get rusty...

20140125_144800.jpg

This will allow me to run the cable in front of the valve cover, down low. Should give a much cleaner look. And if I do something a bit flash with the valve cover later, it won't be in the way.   :thumbup:

Test fit the B210 radiator Tim had on hand, and the upper hose (even though it is a B210 hose) didn't fit worth shit. Bottom hose fit good, so we looked at it a bit...

Tim suggested using a spare lower hose we had that has a lot of twists and turns in it and we noticed that if we cut it in half, then...

Fits like a glove...   B)

20140125_113304.jpg

Today was a good day...   :thumbup:

20140125_123721.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, and sadly the gear reduction starter was an absolute no go...   :sneaky:

Tim had a Nissan reman 1200 starter in his parts stash, so I traded him the gear reduction starter for it. We are building an A14/5spd for his 1964 Triumph Spitfire, so it will get the fancy starter.  :thumbup:

I can make aluminum look like a mirror if you want to sub it out and help me shoehorn that CA18DET into the Coupe.

They are crazy light, too. They are spun aluminum, not steel.

Hopefully they will polish out well...

I pulled a Cessna propeller off a scrap heap years ago because I thought a polished prop would make a cool decoration. It was in really bad shape and took a long tine to finish but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. The back of the propeller. It looked tike this all over and I wasn't sure I could make it look good.

DSCN1807_zpsca6f6f95.jpg

The finished product. Those stacks will look awesome if you are interested.

DSCN1809_zpsa2836915.jpg

I can make aluminum look like a mirror if you want to sub it out and help me shoehorn that CA18DET into the Coupe.

They are crazy light, too. They are spun aluminum, not steel.

Hopefully they will polish out well...

I pulled a Cessna propeller off a scrap heap years ago because I thought a polished prop would make a cool decoration. It was in really bad shape and took a long tine to finish but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. The back of the propeller. It looked tike this all over and I wasn't sure I could make it look good.

DSCN1807_zpsca6f6f95.jpg

The finished product. Those stacks will look awesome if you are interested.

DSCN1809_zpsa2836915.jpg

A prop is easy, try 2 177 gallon Kenworth fuel tanks! :frantics:

The world's cutest alternator installed with new belt. Also note, used more of the allen cap head screws here...  :thumbup:

normal_20140129_175405.jpg

Cleaned up the dizzy a bit and installed it with a new cap and rotor. OCD might get the best of me and I may take it out and paint it...   :rofl:

normal_20140129_180533.jpg

Checking clearances again...

normal_20140129_181343.jpg

Got bored and had some fun with the oil cap. Thoughts?

normal_20140129_185959.jpg

• Like 3

Haha, I figured as much. Not gonna pay that price for a B210 anyway. Did leno do a special on those as well? :P

The engine looks very clean, except for that lower radiator pipe... I agree with gg, it's off center. You should send it to me so I can fix it  :ninja:

• Like 1

The world's cutest alternator installed with new belt. Also note, used more of the allen cap head screws here...  :thumbup:

normal_20140129_175405.jpg

Cleaned up the dizzy a bit and installed it with a new cap and rotor. OCD might get the best of me and I may take it out and paint it...   :rofl:

normal_20140129_180533.jpg

Checking clearances again...

normal_20140129_181343.jpg

Got bored and had some fun with the oil cap. Thoughts?

normal_20140129_185959.jpg

You are going to find that alternator doesn't charge until about 2000 rpm, I have the same one, and my lights flicker until I rev to around 2000. I wish there was a way to put a smaller pulley on it.  :confused:

You are going to find that alternator doesn't charge until about 2000 rpm, I have the same one, and my lights flicker until I rev to around 2000.

I've run this same alternator on 6 different Datsuns with no such problem, so... 

In fact, this particular one was on Tim's B210 for about 6 months with nothing like that happening?

I wish there was a way to put a smaller pulley on it.   :confused:

This pulley is already smaller than the stock pulley, though? Not sure I'd want to try an even smaller one... 

This pulley is already smaller than the stock pulley, though? Not sure I'd want to try an even smaller one... 

The alternator is much smaller, so not the same speed of the armature moving past the magnets. The vehicle that this alternator was originally designed for would have had a bigger drive pulley I would think. Have you had a volt meter on it? Mine shows 11 volts or less at idle, and this is the second one, both the same.