So I made a deal with my wife id have my dime daily worthy by jccs so she can start driving our honduh I use for work or id have to sell it. So I give a couple shops a call to get quotes on rebuilding my motor and she freaks out because we don't have that kind of spending cash at the moment and pretty much saying I'm going to have to let it go. I'm bummed because its the first car I bought with my hard earned money and its been my dream to own one for years. I don't wanna give up without a fight any ideas? I might be able to acquire a complete ka to swap but she's against me spending anymore money into it. HELP ME!!! :'(

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, sounds like a shitty deal. But she is giving you a double edged sword bro. A timeframe it needs to be done by on one hand, and a stipulation that you can't spend any money on it on the other. After all these years dattos are still cheap and easy to fix engine wise. If you are serious about keeping it, you need to have a serious conversation with your wife about the realities of owning and saving an old car, or just succumb to her obvious want, which is no more datto......

sounds like she needs to think logically you cant fix a car with no money especially on a deadline you can pick up a used good running l series for cheap take a weekend and swap it around

Wait, so she's GIVING her van away, and making you get rid of your Datsun? You're going to have to get another car if she's going to be driving your Honda, so you may as well use the money you'd shell out to buy an L-series. People practically give away L16s!

I would if I could but she's giving her van to her sister and she'll be taking the honduh

Seriously I would fuck everyone else who is not your wife and your kid. Why do you have to suffer while her sis is given a van? You worked hard and you bought your car. Now you have to get rid of it? I would be so fucken pissed...

I agree. I have the original L16 from the 510 sitting in my garage. Just needs a new head gasket. I'd sell you the whole mess for $100 if you were closer. Won't be fast, but it would move under it's own power.

Though there may be other issues, how much did those shops quote you to rebuild the motor? I'd bet they wanted a shitton and you relayed that to the wife? It may be only the tip of the iceberg. How much have you spent on the 510? Including initial cost. If it's less than the cost of a used reliable daily driver, then there are some trust issues of your ability to get it road-worthy, or she is being controlling.

I'm sure there is more to it than just what's been touched on here. Definitely talk to her, and make sure she understands how important the car is to you (if it is) and see if you can't find a common ground. Having a budget in mind for the 510 is a good idea. Be sure to double whatever you think your budget is, because little things will add up with any older vehicle.

Wait, so she's GIVING her van away, and making you get rid of your Datsun? You're going to have to get another car if she's going to be driving your Honda, so you may as well use the money you'd shell out to buy an L-series. People practically give away L16s!

I think Micro says it the best. If she is giving away the van you are still going to be short a vehicle, the cost to get an Lseries or even a KA running would be a lot less than buying a commuter car.

Yea the van isint hers technically, the honduh was our wedding gift... I really don't want to sell it, I had two people interested but I backed out. Quotes u got were 800 if they could overhaul, 2500, and around 3400 from another shop for all new everything

but other then the stalling (that just started) doesnt the car run fine? Its got to be something simple. I would find a datsun shop and see if they can help out with the stalling. I'd offer but I cannot during the week.

Its a basically stock 510..its GOT to be something simple.

Getting rid of the 510 wont really solve anything. Keep the Van till you get the 510 squared away. having that spare vehicle is a blessing. whatcha gonna do if the honduh breaks down?

I refuse to make deals with my wife. Besides her being too smart and devious, this isn't the way to operate inside of a relationship. A relationship needs dialogue and compromise. Sometimes there is give and sometimes there is take but it should average out at the end of the day.... or week.

She gives away a van and you have X amount of time to get the 510 going with zero money? That sounds like a great way for her to rid herself of your Datsun. I assume she is using the van to get to work? What does her sister need a van for? Is it your van? Sell it or rent it to the sister-in-law. You're working 16 hrs a day? Seems YOU need a car worse than anyone else. When the bills are paid there should be something left over to get this running

• Like 1

I refuse to make deals with my wife. Besides her being too smart and devious, this isn't the way to operate inside of a relationship. A relationship needs dialogue and compromise. Sometimes there is give and sometimes there is take but it should average out at the end of the day.... or week.

She gives away a van and you have X amount of time to get the 510 going with zero money? That sounds like a great way for her to rid herself of your Datsun. I assume she is using the van to get to work? What does her sister need a van for? Is it your van? Sell it or rent it to the sister-in-law. You're working 16 hrs a day? Seems YOU need a car worse than anyone else. When the bills are paid there should be something left over to get this running

Vans not ours it my in-laws, sis in law is in last yr of high school so there teaching her how to drive and she'll b taking the borrowed van.She wants me to sell the datto and get a reliable daily ( something newer that doesn't need fixing ) she doesn't want money soent on the car because she wants to save extra cash to move

okay..so she wants you to get another car. So I'd assume you can afford another one right? If so, PARK the 510 and fix it on your own time untill it runs.

Whats the diag on the 510? Blown head gasket? Does it just need a intake/exhause gasket? Whats the deal with it? A battery tender will take car of the electrical grimlin for a while.

Some teenage girl without a license gets the van???? W in TF??? Tell the in-laws you are moving in with them because you can't get to work with your car and can't pay the rent. See how fast this shit straightens out.

At the very least store your 510 somewhere away from them (your wife and the in-laws) and commute to work. Take the bus, ride a bike whatever it takes. Hell I bike about 5 miles to work every day.