• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't have an AK-47 but this gets in under the wire. I'll ask.... I think this is a 5 round clip, there are bigger. The shells are the same as AK.

Yes, the SKS was the predecessor to the AK-47 and uses 7.62x39 ammo.  The factory SKS magazine is ten rounds.  Some Chinese models had a twenty round internal mag, has a little star on the side, and there are detachable "duck bill" magazines available as well.  I have a Chinese twenty round but on mine, or my gun perhaps, there is a step of some sort inside which hangs up after four rounds.  It annoyed me enough that I took it off and reinstalled the ten round mag.

There are, as far as I know, no 100% reliable duck bill mags for sks. The rare d model used ultra reliable ak style mags. Unfortunately the d model is specifically banned in California, as well as any conversion to use ak mags. I wasted money on a custom USA made 10rnd fixed mag to play the parts game, thing was an expensive piece of shit. I bought other USA made parts and used the original mag. Its near perfectly reliable.

There are, as far as I know, no 100% reliable duck bill mags for sks. The rare d model used ultra reliable ak style mags. Unfortunately the d model is specifically banned in California, as well as any conversion to use ak mags. I wasted money on a custom USA made 10rnd fixed mag to play the parts game, thing was an expensive piece of shit. I bought other USA made parts and used the original mag. Its near perfectly reliable.

One possibly "legal" California work around would be to install the after market AK style "removable clip" floor plate and then spot weld a removable 5 round clip into the new floor plate. This would make useage of a top strip clip or manual insertion mandatory and just might be inconvenient enough to pass the California "Nanny test." Essentially a reverse 5 round only retrofit.

One possibly "legal" California work around would be to install the after market AK style "removable clip" floor plate and then spot weld a removable 5 round clip into the new floor plate. This would make useage of a top strip clip or manual insertion mandatory and just might be inconvenient enough to pass the California "Nanny test." Essentially a reverse 5 round only retrofit.

I haven't seen the SKS being loaded but got the impression that the rounds are on a strip you insert down into it and pull the strip out leaving the rounds in the gun??? Sound right?

I haven't seen the SKS being loaded but got the impression that the rounds are on a strip you insert down into it and pull the strip out leaving the rounds in the gun??? Sound right?

Its called a stripper clip, makes it faster.

or you can put them in one by one.

normally the SKS is a 10 round mag but because of Canadian law any of the ones you have there will have a block so they only hold 5 rounds.

Its called a stripper clip, makes it faster.

or you can put them in one by one.

normally the SKS is a 10 round mag but because of Canadian law any of the ones you have there will have a block so they only hold 5 rounds.

Yes I saw several 10 round strips. Didn't know what they were called.

Test fit, haven't finished the stock yet or put the lower parts kit in other than as a quicky for clearance. Fire control group and take down pins fit but are a little bit tight so I'll probably lightly sand/file that area. Still need to do some general cleanup on the holes and on fit and finish.

I'll use this upper for initial tests and then swap to one of my others if everything looks good.

154b7fd6-cb6d-414b-837e-89edaa91f17e_zps

So y'all might remember a few weeks ago I was lamenting the fact that when shooting the Vepr, I could probably miss the broad side of a barn... from the inside.  Well, after having an "expert" laser sight it in... I still couldn't hit paper at 100 yards.  I finally took the damned scope off and tried the iron sights.  Lo and behold, my shaky, blind, flinching, fifty-year-old ass put twenty rounds of 7.62x54r into a torso sized area!  Which is good enough for me.  With that knowledge, I took the thing to the 50 yard line and tried the optic again.  No luck.  Either I'm too dumb to finger out how to use a Russian optic, the optic is garbage, or... well, I guess those are the two options.  

So, to make a short story long, the Vepr is "Iron Sights Only" for me.  Anyone want a PO 4x24 scope?  It hasn't been thrown very far.

And another thing...  have any of you AK users ever experienced a round getting stuck between the bolt and the dust cover?  An unfired round, stripped out of the magazine and jammed itself twixt the bolt and cover today.  If it were in a "normal" AK, I would have popped off the cover and continued shooting.  Unfortunately it was a Kushnapup Saiga so I had to disassemble the whole shebang to get to it.  So, I guess I'm asking: WTF?