• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking at both the judge and public defender and it took me deep into psycho gun world forums and at first I was all, "hey bad ass! That's a snub nose hand cannon that does exactly what I would need it to!" but all I was reading from the gun toting masses was they didn't like it thought it was big and clunky not worth packing around etc. Someone even compared it to a massive flashy hummer and said it was wrist snapping overkill and not worth packing. Then I figured bond arms because one trigger pull should handle most situations encountered. If the hammer needs to slam twice whatever is on the business end would most likely be doing a Swiss cheese impersonation with salt or small shot. Also price was right new and used. But then I gotta deal with concealed carry.

At one point I even considered a replica blank firing gun. They usually don't have much charge behind them but some companies do produce an open barrel style so it gives the muzzle flash effect. Theatrics alone if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck what are the odds I might be able to pass off a rooster? Or would I be left proverbially holding my cock? Lol

Personally I think carrying a blank equipped gun is stupid. Heres my thoughts on it: if youre putting yourself in a situation where you feel the need to carry, then its probably a bad situation. If you can avoid it, I would rather have the firepower and not need it than need it and not have it. As clichéd as that is, I feel its true. Maybe you will scare an attacker away, maybe you wont... but what happens when you meet that guy thats not afraid of a little sound? What happens when you meet that guy that can take a little salt thrown his way? Ive personally seen a guy take a a few shots (not center mass though) and keep coming. You may meet a tweaker hopped up on who knows what that will just keep coming. 

Im not saying to pack a shotgun handgun mentioned above, but some sort of decently powerful weapon would be nice. A small frame 40, a .38 special, etc. Something you can store easily, get out quickly, something with a little punch, but soft enough that you woman can use it if youre not around or youre incapacitated. 

For the price you would pay for a nice replica cap gun, you could own a real weapon that would really offer some protection when the need arose. 

The Henry arms ar-7 looks pretty bad ass and stores really well from what I can see. i agree though having to put together a gun on the fly might totally suck. And what exactly does one do after shooting anything? Call the cops? Get out of dodge? I would go for a looney toons spring loaded boxing glove if I thought it would work for what I need it to do lol. I'm really just looking for something affordable and practical I'm sure I'll use it some for target shooting fun but that's about it.

If this is a really stupid question you can all laugh at it but I really don't know much on this at all so sorry for the im twelve and what is this style questions.

Do they make a pistol with a folding or detachable stock/ barrel extension? So in a technical and legal sense it would be a take down gun (good for hopping states) but could still fire in pistol form? I couldn't even figure out what to search for to find such a thing. I stumbled across air rifles that style or toy guns but nothing else that didn't look like a tactical weapon.

And back to the prop gun idea if it's made to fire crimped shell blanks and I reloaded the top with a wad and some rock salt would I be getting into hand loosing territory? Or would the still relatively low pressure turn a blank firing replica into a grenade. Also would the charge load on a blank even be enough to propell rock salt at a high enough rate of speed to penetrate anything?

I would personally like to get around the gun owning concealed carry state crossing headaches but nothing besides a gun seems to be as useful as a gun.

Back to the girlfriend I don't think she has it in her to pull the trigger. I could but only if in a dire no other option situation and even then probably would easy my conscience if could shoot with less lethal option. I know you are almost better off getting eaten by a cougar over killing one in a national park. Thankfully cougars cant open doors

Im not huge into the scene so there may be some guns Ive missed, but Ive never seen a detachable barrel like youre describing. There are a few handgun with stock options, but its very few... most are custom options. Yes, as soon as you get into any kind of exchange that involves you firing your weapon I would call the police. Depending on the situation, I would call the police if you had to even pull your weapon, but didnt discharge. Sometimes it benefits the police to know that a certain person/group was aggressive enough in the area that you felt you needed to draw your weapon. 

If youre going to go into these shady areas where a gun is necessary, I would highly suggest desensitizing your lady on a guns. I would hate to see her get hurt because shes too afraid to pick up a gun, or injure herself because shes untrained. At a bare minimum it might save youre life. Maybe youre being attacked and shes the only option to save you or she musters up the guts to pull the weapon but is ill-trained so she hurts you or bystanders in the process. 

Yeah those are the scenarios that make me consider gun ownership and non lethal shots. Shure they make 50 call revolvers if I want 'stopping power' but unless I intend to cap an elephant on bath salts I doubt it would come in handy. I see the logic in better to have just in case but I remember hearing all sorts of statistics on how within x many feet you are better off using a knife and how likely it would be that your own gun gets taken and used on ones self by an assailant and the statistics of it all kinda made me uneasy. Let's say I get I'm eating a stick of butter dipped in sugar bare handed and on the draw I fumble the gun. Last thing I need is to forfeit a firearm or any self defense weapon to a would be attacker. But in the event the gun is used on myself I'd rather rice and confetti pop out instead of a red hot lead slug.

You can always play the "what if" game. Like you said, anything can be used against you... so no matter what you decide to use to arm yourself, with a little practice and technical training you can minimize the risk or accidents like that. I never said you should rock a 50 cal, just something thats got some meat to it that easy to carry and shoot. 

Maybe what you need to do it go to a local range that offers rental guns and you and your lady try out all the different weapons that youre interested in. A lot of fields have rental guns and most have on-site gun safety courses you can go through. Once you see what your options are you can better judge what you think will fit your needs. 

I remember hearing all sorts of statistics on how... likely it would be that your own gun gets taken and used on ones self by an assailant 

I think this is probably a lot of anti-gun BS.

FWIW, you don't draw a weapon unless you intend to use it. And use it quickly. Hesitation is the only thing that's going to get the gun taken away from you. 

If your state has a conceal carry permit, they probably offer/require a class for it. Take that class. You'll learn a hell of a lot more there than you will in this thread. Take your lady too. 

If you want something to carry get a .38 snub nose, thats what i carry. I have a smith and wesson model 642ct (has laser grip) and it goes everywhere with me.

Never ever pull a gun unless you are prepared to kill whatever you are pointing it at. It takes a different state of mind to be prepared to take a life, human life that is. If you are a concealed carry permit holder its my opinion that it is your responsibility to protect yourself and those around you no matter what the cost.

BE PREPARED!!!!

Do they make a pistol with a folding or detachable stock/ barrel extension? So in a technical and legal sense it would be a take down gun (good for hopping states) but could still fire in pistol form? I couldn't even figure out what to search for to find such a thing. I stumbled across air rifles that style or toy guns but nothing else that didn't look like a tactical weapon.

Yes.  Every model 1908 Luger and Mauser model 1896 MMP has the rear grip slotted for a shoulder stock.  If you own an original that came with the stock it is considered a curio and is legal to possess.  If you fit an after market shoulder stock you have a short rifle and need to register it with the ATF and pay the tax.  Let's not go into the Mauser Machine Pistol model 712 who's holster was the detachable shoulder stock.  Many model 1896 also had the shoulder stock holster.  Artillery Lugers routinely came with a board fitted with a leather holster.  The board was the shoulder stock.  Swiss Luger carbines also exist.  They have extended barrels, a wooden foregrip and a beautifully fitted and checkered full detachable shoulder stock.  Kaiser Wilhelm used one for hunting because he had a deformed left arm and could not mount a full sized rifle.

At one point I even considered a replica blank firing gun. They usually don't have much charge behind them but some companies do produce an open barrel style so it gives the muzzle flash effect. Theatrics alone if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck what are the odds I might be able to pass off a rooster? Or would I be left proverbially holding my cock? Lol

The fact that your guns says replica on the side and mine says Desert Eagle .50....

vinnie-jones.jpg

• Like 2

Folding stocks were standard on Paratrooper model M1 carbines.  Way too expensive on the collector market, although you can bid on an auction basis through the Director of Civilian Markmanship site, no Federal Firearms license required for DCM purchases.  There are affordable new replica models being manufactured, contact your local gun shop.

Also, in the 1960s a pistol version of the M1 carbine was sold, it was called the "Destroyer" and came with a 30 round magazine as standard.  It used newly manufactured actions since you may not legally convert a rifle to a pistol per the Federal Firearms Act.

I Definately don't plan on ever putting myself in a position to ever need a gun it would just be the security that came with owning one. That double barrel pistol is rad. I also like the look of quad barrel derringers. Lots of really good information in this thread and tons of cool guns. I'm not opposed to guns at all I've just never felt the need to own one. I made a quick list of options and different Guns that I believe would be practical for my needs and likely ownership. I know a

snub nose .38 (I know whose voting for that lol)

Henry arms ar-7 or similar make (take down feature is cool and it looks like it would be a good back country option)

Bond arms snake slayer (portable quick and simple operation/ faster draw plus easy to carry because of it's small size and still has plenty of punch. Also can buy/ re fill 410 shells with less lethal shot)

M6 scout carbine? Can the public even buy these? (dual caliber break barrel single shot .410 and various other calibers from what u can tell. relatively small and a take appart gun for travel)

Baretta u22 neos ( pistol and can be converted to rifle configuration so not sure if it would count as a take appart gun? My main reason of interest.

I am still leaning towards the Bond arms snake slayer. It's in my price range And if at first click you don't succeed there is always a second barrel with either .45 long colt or another 410 with differnt load.

I plan on doing this legally and filling all forms out etc. I know a lot on gun safety just from experience handling guns and reading up on it but will still take a class with the girlfriend. I really don't think she will ever touch whatever gun we get anyways but I'll probably get her to familiarize her with whatever gun too.

Now how exactly do I go about buying one? Can they be shipped to your house or would I be better off finding a gun shop? And is there any etiquette on buying one? I don't want to waltz in and ask for a gun out of the blue. I know there is a wait period and different forms too just didn't know how to go about starting the process