• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back in Cali you could have over 10 round mags as long as it wasn't semi auto (some guy made about 6000 of those pump aks). I believe that loop hole as since been closed up.

Yep over 10 round mags are super no bueno in Cali. You can possess them still if you had before the ban, but can't buy, sell, give away or bring them into the state. However, if you find one at the range laying on the ground that's still legal supposedly.

Formerly of hermiston! Lol just moved back to Portland a week ago

lol I lived in LaGrande for a bit.... fuckin terrible :rofl:

Yep over 10 round mags are super no bueno in Cali. You can possess them still if you had before the ban, but can't buy, sell, give away or bring them into the state. However, if you find one at the range laying on the ground that's still legal supposedly.

so how do they know if you had it before the ban?

some of my WW1 stuff:

WW1Germanriflesgroupshot-1.jpg

the first five are Model 1888 German Commission rifles. these are not Mausers, were all made prior to 1893 and were obsolete almost as soon as they came off the assembly lines. they were actually designed by a commission and have "advanced" design features like a side mounted bayonet, a "cooling tube" that encases the barrel and "packet" loading, i.e., the five rounds are inserted into a spring steel clip and the clip is inserted into the action. when the fifth round is fired and the bolt cycled the clip drops out of the weapon. if you loose your clips you have a single shot rifle. some of these were converted to to conventional Mauser loading for use during WW1 when major weapon losses at the hands of the French forced the Germans to put these to use. the sixth rifle is a 1918 Mauser Gew98 with the "lange vizier" or "roller coaster" sight, the last weapon is a 1918 Kar98az. all are in 8mm Mauser.

here's a closeup of the Kar98az, the Gew98 and the 88's packet loading system.

kar98gew98gew88.jpg

the Kar98az with a WW1 era "trench cover" designed to keep out dirt. it actually cycles with the bolt.

trenchcoverkar98rightclosed.jpg

the Kar98az was a sporter when I found it. I paid $250 for the sportered action and $290 for a replacement stock off ePay. The seller listed it as an "unknown Mauser stock" but me and one other bidder knew what it was! Honestly, it's hard to miss a Ka98az's stacking hook on the end of the barrel.

• Like 1

so how do they know if you had it before the ban?

:devil:

Actually they would have to prove you didn't have it, but the ban went into effect in 2000.  So if you weren't 18/21 by 2000, or the mag is obviously from after that time..... 

Going out to find a Mosin tomorrow. Preferably an M44. 

If I can't find one then I might settle for a 30 06. 

spend $30 and get a curio/relic federal firearms license. I had one from 2000-03. you go through the BATF, they send you a license and a list of eligible weapons that you can then legally have shipped to your front door. Mosins are on the list btw. the Gew98 in the pic was the first weapon I had shipped to my house.