Tommy's MX510 build

Tommy34

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just imagine if someone didn't have the stock front suspension ........ :D ....... .. it looks to me like the motor is a few inches away from hitting the hood

You have 1.5" up top. With the .25" clear on the bottom side you could gain a total of 1.75" "lower" that the stock cross-member allows!

Thestockseatsfit003.jpg

Thestockseatsfit002.jpg

Why did you choose to do one rolled edge and one hard edge on the tunnel?

Good question. That 4" flat plate will become the bottom of the center console. We off set it to the passenger side to keep it over the drive shaft so we just made that side square. It will look better once the console is built.

what are your plans for the heater? stock one still fit?

Don't know yet. This will be Tommy's "fair weather / play car". He has a Toyota 4x4 as his daily driver. We hope the 510 or Miata heater will fit but it's no big deal either way. I didn't put a heater in the MX520. ;)

I guess I missed something. Why the Miata engine? Isn't one of the biggest complaints from Miata owners the lack of power? There might also be some concern about the trans mount. I thought the stock Miata used something like an arm that attaches to the rear of the car. I'm sure your mount will work great, but it's something to keep in mind. Any future plans to add some more power to this thing? I would think anything less than 200hp wouldn't make much sense to do an engine swap. I bet you could squeeze some more power out of that thing. But I'm not too knowledgeable about this motor. Fill us in.

I guess I missed something. Why the Miata engine? Fill us in.

The Mazda Miata is the most raced sports car in America on any given weekend. They are unbelievably reliable and take an AMAZING amount of abuse! The Spec Miata race class is the largest in the USA. These "under powered" "girl cars" kick butt on most cars at the track because of their light weight and great balance. The tight shifting gear box is world renowned.

Now, all of that being said; the MX510 will be about 250lbs lighter than a Spec Miata race car. It does not need 200hp. If anyone thinks they can build a better mouse trap, cool, go build it. Then bring your "vision" to the track and we'll do a 4 hour endurance race to see how your +200hp dream machine does against our "under powered" "why would you build that" machine! I promise you will be shocked at the results. :confused: :poke:

That's why. :P

Besides - it was lying around the shop! ;)

• Like 2

The Mazda Miata is the most raced sports car in America on any given weekend. They are unbelievably reliable and take an AMAZING amount of abuse! The Spec Miata race class is the largest in the USA. These "under powered" "girl cars" kick butt on most cars at the track because of their light weight and great balance. The tight shifting gear box is world renowned.

Now, all of that being said; the MX510 will be about 250lbs lighter than a Spec Miata race car. It does not need 200hp. If anyone thinks they can build a better mouse trap, cool, go build it. Then bring your "vision" to the track and we'll do a 4 hour endurance race to see how your +200hp dream machine does against our "under powered" "why would you build that" machine! I promise you will be shocked at the results. :confused: :poke:

That's why. :P

Besides - it was lying around the shop! ;)

i would say thats a pretty good reason :P

If you have ever shifted a Miata gearbox you'd try to figure a way of installing one in every Datsun you owned. It's short shifter changes gears with a flick of the wrist and the gear spacing is perfect for just about every kind of driving.

Bob's 100% right about durability, basically indestructable, even in racing conditions. I've heard of guys racing a Miata engine that had 100K+ on it when it becamme a racecar and it was still going when they pulled it out 5 years later, just because they thought they should.

Looks good bob and tommy.

I am on another board and a guy is putting in a SR20DET into his BMW 2002 and he wanted go to the track and get it on when we were done with our cars. I thought it was funny cause the 510 was kicking the 2002's ass bad back in the day and the guy needed a nissan motor to get it worth for the track.

Bob and Tommy, I don't know if it's in Tommy's budget, but there is a guy on ebay selling fiberglass and carbon fiber parts for 510s and miatas, that makes a real sweet looking carbon fiber console for the miata that looks like it would be perfect for the MX510. Keep the pics comming, I'm really enjoying seeing this project come together. I wish I would have had a father like Bob when I was growing up, Bob adopt me!!! :hyper::poke:

P.S. The guy that questioned the Mazda engine should have watched the smokin' video before making comments about being underpowered! :D

Jeff:

I can see that most of your time here at Ratsun has been spent in the "Project Datto" section, but, you obviously haven't taken the time to read ALL of Bobs build on the MX520. After all, it is the longest of build threads with 52 PAGES OF DROLL INSPIRING PHOTOS!!! It will give you a LOT of background on the thinking behind this build and the possibility that Bob and Tommy MIGHT know their Miatas a little bit.

BTW: Welcome to Ratsun. :D

The miata is the one car my wife says she will leave if I get one. I think all those 40-50 yr olds with they're 2007 miatas, have made the miata look bad. Now the miata spec cars taking corners 4 wide are whats meant to be seen. I love the looks of the old roadsters, but under a 510 would be sick! Maybe I should have my wife drive the 510 then get in a Miata and see what she thinks.

this is pretty badass project...

i dont know what the guys talking about miatas being underpowered.. i drove an old beat down one, and it was still fast as fuck...

guess the way i see it, if its faster than my datsun, then it cant really be under powered..

keep up the good work tommy and bob!