Bob's '68 2 door Rat

Bob3

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the builder find?

I refreshed a 2.8 to go in my 240. When I started it it was smoking, after it didn't stop after a week, I just revved it every where I went and it stopped. The rings finally set. I have been to long beach and back along with several z club track events.

BTW, this was the first time I ever tore into any engine.

I spoke to my engine builder. He told me there is a hole in piston #3. WTF?

I don't want to quit. I did love driving it the few miles I did. I need a new motor. Has anyone got anything close to Colorado?

I spoke to my engine builder. He told me there is a hole in piston #3. WTF?

I don't want to quit. I did love driving it the few miles I did. I need a new motor. Has anyone got anything close to Colorado?

Alex at A&M automotive in Boulder might have something, but you would have to ask him. He's a 510 guy.

Was it contact, detonation, no warranty?

Oh there is another guy closer to you that your may know that races a 510? and now am stuck on his name, but I think I might have a video or a pic of his car. John Morton drove his 510 at the transam race in pueblo last year, then there is also Jeff Winter in Westminster.

Steve is the guys name closer to you.

http://www.thevrl.com/photo/john-morton-june-2010-2/prev?context=user

Their will be something you can get at canby and it's barely a month away, I even have a l20 on a engine stand an gave away a l16 earlier this year a long with a auto tranny.

Put up a parts wanted add and people will respond, come up to canby and recharge, get what you need at a good price and go enjoy that bad ass car you built.

You've been on here sense I've joined ratsun and I've always enjoyed your hard work and creative thinking, we all know you can make it work dude, don't give up.

Don't forget the you pull and pay in the springs, also the you pull and pay in aurora and denver. They all have the online inventory.

The springs location has 3 620 pick ups, 76, 77 and a 78.

Alex at A&M automotive in Boulder might have something, but you would have to ask him. He's a 510 guy.

Was it contact, detonation, no warranty?

Oh there is another guy closer to you that your may know that races a 510? and now am stuck on his name, but I think I might have a video or a pic of his car. John Morton drove his 510 at the transam race in pueblo last year, then there is also Jeff Winter in Westminster.

Steve is the guys name closer to you.

http://www.thevrl.com/photo/john-morton-june-2010-2/prev?context=user

Yes I know Steve, he is the one who built it. I have not looked at it yet. He told me it was my fault for running it out of gas. He is good at pointing fingers at anyone but himself. I think it was detonation, but I didn't know that that would hole a piston. I told Steve that is was making weird noises, he even drove it and said it was fine. What causes detonation?

I think I've sourced an L18, I'll know this weekend.

BTW - Jeff Winter and I have friends for over 30 years. I bought this car from Jeff.

...and/or using too low of octane gas for the compression & timing, and loading down the motor too hard given the above

The four times I put gas in it before it blew, I put in premium.

I would like to see pics. How can it get so hot that it just blew? Where the other pistons fine? Maybe just buy another piston, hone the walls, and add new rings. What is your engine and set up??? You should buy a gauge that tells you if your running rich or lean... But you are a smart dude. I know you know this... I just cant figure it out....

• Like 1

Build your own shit. You know what was done and how it was done and don't have to listen to a builder say it was your fault. Running out of gas is bull shit. Stock (not forged) pistons are high silicon content and brittle as glass. Pinging or preignition can break holes in them. Pinging or pre-ignition is quite noticeable unless you have header and loud exhaust.

no joke :huh:

Iv never seen an L piston with a hole in it. esp after 800 miles :rolleyes:

I have, but the motor was pulled from who knows what/when and I advanced the shit out of the timing. Still took a while though :)

Casting flaw perhaps?

I don't think so. This is the same motor I pulled from my 620kc, just freshened. The same pistons, intake & carb (and jets) are in there that I had been running for the last year and a half. It ran great and got 30 mpg! I had it "freshened" and added a "street cam". That's it.

I bought an L18 and 5 speed trannie for $500. It's in Phoenix. How's this for good timing, my buddy Scott is there and driving home with it today. I'll get a look at it tonight. Scott said it looks very clean and appears to be freshly rebuilt. We'll see? I hope to install it in the Rat tomorrow!