Bob's '68 2 door Rat

Bob3

While reading this build thread last night, I noticed the GVW less than 6,000 lbs.

Did you consider for a moment, even a slight moment to repaint that on the truck?

Just curious.

p.s. please check your pm's.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's alive again!

I bought an L18 with a 5 speed and weber 32/36 for $450. It was in Phoenix and my buddy was there and driving back today. He got to my house at 6:00pm tonight and now it's in and running! It fired right up and has 55lbs oil psi. I need to figure out jetting and plugs. What do you guys like for plugs? Any suggestions for jetting, I live at 7500' and usually cruz around 5000' to 8000'.

This is an awesome build, I have a buddy looking to buy a 510 wagon I found by Manitou springs and it has a L20 with a Cam and Dual SU's header, built buy a old datsun mechanic, if you still need a motor he might work something out with you. I have a 280z I need to finish but depending on where you are you should bring it to the Car show most saturdays at the old grocery warehouse on Austin bluffs just after academy.

I took it for a cruz today. It is soooo smooth with my new NGK's!

I'm very happy with my used L18. What a good deal, especially compared to the :devil: :fu: :sick: deal to "rebuild" my once great running L20b.

L18installed003.jpg

L18installed004.jpg

A big THANK YOU to my buddy Scott for picking up the L18 for me! :hug:

Oh yeah . . . look whats in front of my shop.

L18installed002.jpg

• Like 2

Yes I know Steve, he is the one who built it. I have not looked at it yet. He told me it was my fault for running it out of gas. He is good at pointing fingers at anyone but himself. I think it was detonation, but I didn't know that that would hole a piston. I told Steve that is was making weird noises, he even drove it and said it was fine. What causes detonation?

I think I've sourced an L18, I'll know this weekend.

BTW - Jeff Winter and I have friends for over 30 years. I bought this car from Jeff.

Bob, There is no way that you got a hole in your piston from anything you did. My 79 4X4 that I bought new had a turbo running 8 to 15 psi with nothing but water injection, ran for three years and 40,000 plus miles with no problems, so I think the only way that could happen would be builder error! Also I think my experience dispels any theory about factory pistons being weak. L series engines will run forever, if properly maintained. I sold that truck to a friend, and he ran it for another 3 years at 8psi with no problems, by the way. If you think that L20s don't run good, just ask the guy with the V6 Tacoma that I blew the doors off last week. :P

It's alive again!

I bought an L18 with a 5 speed and weber 32/36 for $450. It was in Phoenix and my buddy was there and driving back today. He got to my house at 6:00pm tonight and now it's in and running! It fired right up and has 55lbs oil psi. I need to figure out jetting and plugs. What do you guys like for plugs? Any suggestions for jetting, I live at 7500' and usually cruz around 5000' to 8000'.

Bob, If you still need jetting, I can try and find my paper work from when I jetted mine to get the right sizes. :cool:

Bob, If you still need jetting, I can try and find my paper work from when I jetted mine to get the right sizes. :cool:

I would love some advice. It's running great. I have been thinking I'll go out to the track and run ten laps at a constant rpm and do a clean-kill and take a look at the plugs to see how it's burning.

....I agree about the mixed up breather lines.

Does anyone have a pic of what the correct routing should look like? There are two lines, one in the side of the block under the exhaust mani and one on top of the valve cover. The one on the valve cover I just put a vent screen on. The one in the side of the block I ran into the air filter box, inside the air filter. What am I missing?

crankcase vent tube should go to the lower part of the intake to a PCV valve.the crankcase tube as you increase rpm will suck in air. at idle it blows it out. the PCV valve will keep better control of this.Depending on what crankcase tube and intake you have you might have to find a way to route it. Since I have a L16 on my truck I use al the stock crankcasehose and pipe set up.

the valve cover vent goes to the bottom of the aircleaner if you choose to do that.

I run a long hose(valve cover vent) then route it under the car on my sidedrafts set up(and open vent the crankcase)

So the hose from the valve cover should go to the port in the air filter.

The crank case line should go to the PCV valve which should be connected to a port on the intake.

The green dot is where the PCV valve should be. Looks like yours has a spark plug plug :lol:

L18installed004.jpg

PCV valve on a stock manifold

imagesCAQKJ8UU.jpg

:D

There is a great pic in the haynes manual (I think that's where I saw it) that shows how the system circulates

I used second gen VW jetta 85- 87 hoses to route from cam cover to air cleaner they seemed to already have bends just needed trimming . The red arrow is pointing at hose that fits inside each other like pvc pipe. The pcv valve ( on this engine ) is woven covered hose on manifold behind that vacuum hose with bolt in it.

datsun026-1.jpg