Bob's '68 2 door Rat

Bob3

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I built my own "camber plates". I studied where I want them to be, and let's face it, once you get them where you want you won't move them anymore. So, these are more like "camber/caster relocation plates"!

I LOVE the new stance!

B3frontcamberwork001.jpg

B3frontcamberwork002.jpg

B3frontcamberwork003.jpg

B3frontcamberwork004.jpg

B3frontcamberwork005.jpg

B3frontcamberwork006.jpg

Sweet! I started to do that exact same thing several years ago.....never finished it before I got rid of the 510's. Any pics of how you set the underside up? ...specifically at the top of the strut where the spring perch needs to rotate.

Thanks Mike. I was up late last night working on these and I didn't take any pics of that. I'll get some later. I used the stock bearing on top of a custom made spring hat. I think this will work well. :thumbup:

Bob, I guess you noticed that I didn't make it Sunday, I came down with a ear infection Friday, and had bad ear ache Sat. night. That plus the weather Sunday, I decided I wasn't up to it. I'll just have to wait till my next weekends roll around again.

The 510 looks better every day!! :cool:

2eDeYe' date='08 April 2011 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1302283583' post='456443']

If it's anything like a celica strut, you don't need a bushing. Makes for a bit rougher ride, but it's also a bit more controlled.

A bushing is still needed cause the angle of that strut shaft changes as the suspension moves. Small changes, but it will eventually cause problems.

A bushing is still needed cause the angle of that strut shaft changes as the suspension moves. Small changes, but it will eventually cause problems.

The bearing on the celica strut allows a few degrees axial movement.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying driving the 510. I was rolling along yesterday and I heard a "SNAP".

4-23-11003.jpg

4-23-11002.jpg

I got it all fixed up with a spare I had. Now I'm back on the road!

4-23-11005.jpg

Bob, that is exactly why they say not to run urethane bushings in the TC rods of a 510. They are too stiff, did you see the writeup on hte dimequarterly about how to modify them.

Even better, get some T3 TC rods.

Bet that drove a litte wierd too. Scary stuff.

Bob, that is exactly why they say not to run urethane bushings in the TC rods of a 510. They are too stiff, did you see the writeup on hte dimequarterly about how to modify them.

Even better, get some T3 TC rods.

Bet that drove a litte wierd too. Scary stuff.

That is exactly why it broke. My new bushings are WAY TOO STIFF.

I think I'll get a hold of Dave Patten at FUTO FAB and pick up a set of THESE

That is exactly why it broke. My new bushings are WAY TOO STIFF.

I think I'll get a hold of Dave Patten at FUTO FAB and pick up a set of THESE

So are you running any bushings in your camber plates or are you trying to snap your strut rod off as well? I imagine your wheel flopping over like a pancake on an outside corner will be a little more interesting than breaking a T/C rod :P

So are you running any bushings in your camber plates or are you trying to snap your strut rod off as well? I imagine your wheel flopping over like a pancake on an outside corner will be a little more interesting than breaking a T/C rod :P

Nope, I'm trying to break those too. :sneaky: