wayno

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's mine, Wayno.

I have more pics here: Datsun NL320

...I can send more via email also if you like.

I was looking to see how you did your color scheme, I see you did not follow the line on your hood or between the hood and headlights, I did but might change it now, what about the rear around the taillights, there is no rear picture. I have painted the top of the cab the same as the upper sides, I thought that a black top would be too much, maybe after It is done, one of these photoshop experts could show me what it would look like with a black top. Nice truck! wayno

Here are some Oics of the truck today, what do you guys think, is it to dramatic. More on these pics later. Need a few opinions about where the black ends and the red begins. wayno

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

That looks absolutley perfect. . . . . . . . Don't change anything!!!

It will look great with whitewalls and red steelies,,, ,,,

Maybe a red pinstripe in the black where the trim would be......... or do you have the trim for the sides?

Hi there everyone, I went over to look at the truck this evening and he had been sanding on it again.:confused: I talked to him and he said the paint had blew up(bubbled), but it was alright. He ran out of red paint,:( so tomarrow he'll get some more, do the rims, and fix the tailgate area.:) I am hoping to bring it home before the weekend. wayno

Ok, here is one of my issues, if you look at the front lip of the hood and the body lines you see that I had the black paint come off the fold(trimline) almost even with the headlights in a curve with the trim(fold in the metal like on the side of the truck where the trim is mounted) line, that meant the hood was painted black on the front verticle part where the trim is, so there is a black strip of paint above the trim piece, should it be red? Mike had it red, AZhitman did not follow the trimline either. How should it be? I posted a picture on the next post of how mike did it, and you can see the body lines better also. wayno

DSCN0487.jpg

Looks great Wayno. Just curious why the level change of black/red on the tailgate?

This is a picture of the hood line I was talking about in the previous post, you can see the line/curve next to the headlight and how mike did not follow it but made a angled line toward the bottom of the hood. What way should it be done?

DSCN0363.jpg

Hi there Charlie, That is where the fold in the metal is, like on the side, but it is at a differant level on the tailgate, that is how mike had it also. I just don't know any other way to do it. The hanle cover/ licence plate light mounts on that line also. wayno

DSCN0368.jpg

Looks great Wayno. Just curious why the level change of black/red on the tailgate?

Because that's where the body line is.

Wayno, keep the hood 100% red to the trim. There's no need to stay too strict on it.

The 2-tone was never done by Datsun on these trucks, so we're all just interpreting what we think looks best. Since the NL borrows so heavily from American cars of the 50's, look at pics of those cars for inspiration (or just stick with what you have).

Mine was 2-tone before I bought it. I will be changing it up when I do the frame-off restoration, which is slated for next summer (most likely). I'm leaning towards a seafoam green and ivory 2-tone.

Wayno - Pics of the rear of my truck:

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

...and, here's some Photoshops we did, trying to come up with color schemes.

I'm leaning towards this first one, but in a much less garish shade. It'll probably be about the shade of the 59 Datsun sedan that won Best of Show at JCCS last year, and an ivory / cream color.

turq-wht-truck.jpg

RnI-truck.jpg

BnR-truck.jpg

blk-gry-truck.jpg

50s-color-2-truck-4-u.jpg

no time right now, but WOW!!! It looks awesome in shiny paint!!!

As for the break between the two tones......I had often thought of putting a pinstripe on the body line....which on the sides is actually about a 1/8-1/4" below the trim. Maybe silver....although I thought a bright medium blue might be cool....but I think it would be a bit much.

I was torn over how to paint the front of the hood, but I figured I was doing a temp paint job, so it didn't matter much. You'd have to put the chrome trim on the hood to get a better idea about where to put the break between the colors....really hard to tell without it there. :)

I think the rear is fine as is. Good to follow the bend in the tailgate. On the front I prefer teh way Mike had it. I am also thinking when the hood is open to show the engine, it'd be odd to have that strip of black there.

But Wayno. This is looking so amazing!

Here is a pic of a reverse colorscheme I found surfing the web one day. Someone elses photoshop of a 1958 truck. Far from an NL, but thought you might like to see it.

datsun-pickup-1958trckcopy2copy.jpg

Hi Mike, I was over there this afternoon, and he was sanding again,unsure.gif we discussed the front line and decided to have the red paint come down level with the trim piece same as you had. He says he is going to do the wheels(red where you had red), spray the bed again, repaint the front lip of the hood, and repaint the hinge area that had red overspray on it in the rear, along with around the taillight area. Tomarrow it is going to be done, he says. If somebody will go over there and hide all the sandpaper, i'll owe them. wayno