waynos 1964 datsun NL320

wayno

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the 320 hood with the scoop welded on, and the NL with everything taken off except the front turn signals and the back lights. All is removed now and the bodywork has begun, I am finding out that 46 year old screws, nuts and bolts are stubborn and do not like change. More to come. wayno

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

plans other than the cool hood?

Radio

The color scheme is basicly the same, except the lower dull black is going to be glossy black, and the upper red is going to be redder as the red dash has faded. The inside of the glove compartment door is the red the top half is going to be, unless somebody convinces me otherwise. The drivetrain and suspension are great, the body needs some attention. I am starting on the outside so it doesn't rust anymore, then I'll start on the inside. I am not pulling it off the frame at this time. wayno

It is a datsun roadster hood scoop, Mike did all the mechanical from the radiator to rear axle except rear disc brakes, whats left is the body, some electrical, and the interior, and will probibly be done in that order. In the future a lot of chroming will need to be done, but the funds control non life threating issuses. wayno

This is how it is going so far, I seem unable to get the pics. to show on the edit, so the truck is getting the shit sanded out of it and we are finding all sorts of surprises, it seems that the truck was hit at some point on the drivers side rear, maybe a side swipe. The tailgate hinges came out of the tailgate itself, but the bolts in the body, no such luck, only one out of six came out, the rest broke within a quarter turn, actually the top turned, the bottom didn't. Drilled out and rethreaded in the same threads. Same with the box top  trim pieces, except I was able to remove the nuts from there holders and replace with new nuts The picture inside the left taillight hole is of bondo coming out of the rust holes above the left rear wheel where the truck had some damage in the past. It's the little things that keep you busy, and there are a lot of little things. lol   waynoDSCN0398.jpg<BR>DSCN0394.jpg<BR>DSCN0392.jpg<BR>DSCN0390.jpg<BR>DSCN0389.jpg<BR>DSCN0386-1.jpg<BR>DSCN0388.jpg<BR>DSCN0387.jpg<BR>DSCN0385.jpg

I am not complaining, it is in good shape for a 46 year old truck. Everything is there, and servicable. And what didn't work, mike gave me an extra. I received a truck load of extra parts for this vehicle.:D The painter was very happy about not having to sand 5 layers of paint off, but it does have a lot of little dents, I am 53 years old and I have a lot of dents too.:lol:

wayno...so you are the new owner, awsome!:thumbup:

thanks so far for the help on my transmission.... i found a clutch and tranny shop here in los angeles but they did say the front cover was thrashed..

but as far as your 320/roadster hood, that is awsome!...i tried to do that myself but i dont have the welding skills... if you ever get tired of that hood please let me know :D

cant wait to see the outcome of your build. :thumbup:

OMG!!!! Why did it take 6 days for me to find out about this thread?!! This is soooooo totally awesome!!!!! Kinda makes me wish I would have done that paint and body!! I've never seen the rig so naked! This is actually motivating me to to Mend and the Fairland! :)

Seriously Wayne....it's very moving to see this rig finished. It was such a big part of my life while I had it. I'm completely stoked that you're doing it justice! I'm really happy to see that it's only the D-side rear that was banged up. I kinda thought the P-side rear had more rust. How about a pic or two of the D-side rear?

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!!

Oh....and that hood looks so sweet!!! I'm guessing that you're going to have both hoods painted at the same time? That's pretty smart....just in case you don't like one or something happens to it.

Also....you can pull the window surrounds out of the doors if so motivated.

Again......AWESOME!!!!!

I stopped by the truck today and found the drivers side rear fender wheel well just about done but more bondo in the area rear of the wheel, it turned out that the area that had damage(above the rear wheel) needed some replacement metal. Also the skirts in back of both rear wheels needed ajusting to make them look the same and go with the lines of the truck, one(drivers side) stuck out, and the pass. side was to far in. There is not much more for me to take off and treat with rust inhibitor. Mike, everytime I showed up he had the rear fender covered with bondo hair or bondo, then I would show up the next day and it had been done over again, he did it at least three times before he was happy, the last time the metal replacement was done. The window surround(drivers) was totally taped off today, not sure why yet as he wasn't there. The hood with the scoop has not been touched yet, but it will be painted at the same time I beleave. This guy doesn't work full time on the vehicles, he kinda works on what he feels like at that time, artists are weird, but aren't we all.

DSCN0406.jpg

DSCN0407.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

And sweet to me too! I often expressed my desire to buy this truck from Mike. You know I love it cause I drew it! Glad to see it is such good hands and if I ever win the lottery Wayno, I may have to make you an offer you can't refuse!!!

WOW!!!

Came to work this morning and the whole world had changed! :o

It looks like its in good hands though.

Mike...I hear the emotion in your voice on the vid of your baby driving away from you...but it's cool that Wayno is ALL OVER IT!!! :D

Wayno...it's lookin really nice...good to see all the progress in such short order.

I may have missed it, but are you going back to red again...? Or...?

:cool: :cool:

I love this little truck...it continues to be an inspiration to me.

It's going to be basicly the same colors, stock bright red above the side trim, glossy black below the trim. I figured something out today about the bodyman/painter, if he is moving to slow on the truck,:( start helping him. I went there yesterday and nothing had been done,dry.gif I called him and he came over, I was sanding on the extra hood when he got there, he asked what I was doing,:unsure: I said helping, today I got there, major progress. lol:lol:

Thankyou Romano Jr, I bought the paint for it today, $400.00 dollars for the paint, it's such a little truck. Anybody have any cheese? I expect he will be painting by sunday or monday, :rolleyes: I asked the about finish date, maybe wendsday. :D I almost changed the red color top half to a really dark red, :unsure: but in the end stayed with the stock dash color. If I want it darker, I'll change it later. From the hood/box down it looks done, the top, tailgate, and the extra hood with the scoop were being worked on now.:) Cat went to the doctor today, got a steriod shot for pain, and came back home, he's going to live another few months. :thumbup: Hey denveratsun, it is basicly going to be the same colors that mike had it painted, except the lower black is going to be glossy instead of flat black, and there is going to be more red, as most of the red was wore off from years of sunbathing. wayno