waynos 1964 datsun NL320

wayno

2eDeYe' date='30 August 2011 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1314748285' post='538156']

Has it been sitting for a while? Sounds like you just had to prime the pump, maybe the gas drained out of the pump?

I have not drove it since the bluelake show/meet, it has sat a lot longer in the past. For some reason the stock mechanical pump would not pull the gas up to the carb, and neither would the electric pump, I had to put the electric pump close to the tank to get the fuel up to the carb, when it got to the engine compartment fuel filter, then that started leaking also, to much pressure I think. If it does it again, then it is likely the mechanical fuel pump is bad, as it is supposed to have a valve in it that allows the fuel to go forward, not backwards. I turned that engine over long enough for the fuel to get to the carb if the pump was good.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I received enough window channel felt to finish the passinger door in the mail today, actually I received enough for 3 more doors, as I am keeping the 63 project in mind also, so if it's not to wet/cold tomarrow, I will pull it apart and do the window and door seals, then all that is left is to find some kind of window squeegee for the outside, and hopefully it will stay dry in the interior from now on. If that isn't the leak, then I will have to start searching again, I do not beleave it is the air inlet for the heater/vent, as when I made the hood(hood scoop), I covered that vent area up.

BTW, that channel felt isn't cheap either, but it's the only thing that I know works for me, although Terry(hardhead320) has another product in his doors, and that part# is in my 63 L320 thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38481-waynos-1963-l320-project/

• 3 months later...

I have been trying to find a exterior squeegee for the NL320/320 pickups, but seem to be unable to find one that is deep enough, and the weather strip guy wasn't at the swap meet this year. :confused:

I tried a volvo inner squeegee today, it is less than an eighth inch away, but it won't keep the water out that hits the window. :no:

Here are some oics. of my attempt.

DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1343.jpg

DSCN1342.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I went to "Chevs of the 40s", and got a piece of trim rubber for something or other on a chevy.

It had several differant sides to it, so I cut what I needed out of the piece, and this is what I ended up with, it will keep the water out, but it really isn't made for what I am using it for, and it was kinda expensive for only one side.

Now I need more paint, as the old seal covered part of the top edge of the door, the new seal doesn't.

DSCN1427.jpg

DSCN1425.jpg

DSCN1428.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have not done anything to this in a long time except wash it and drive it to the Vancouver meet last month, well today I finally did do something that has needed since I bought it, I bought a heater box complete from datsunpolisher last month for a 320, I installed it today and piped it, I now have cab heat and defrosters, it works good to, better than my 521 defrosters, I had to wire it on a toggle switch because I couldn't get the stock switch to work, as it had no power, and I don't feel like tearing everything out to find out why the switch has no power.

The wipers work, but I have no wiper arms on it at the moment, as I need new blades.

It started way better today, and I can likely guess why also, it has ethanol free gas(premium) in it.

I have a new 320 fuel tank sender now, and 320 tank in the shed, so I need to get that fixed soon also, that way I actually will know how much fuel I have, instead of carrying 5 gallons of fuel around with me all the time, as I ran out of gas on the way to the Vancouver meet last month.

I know, oics or it didn't happen, so here they are. facepalm-smiley-face-815_zps1def0a46.gif

DSCN1444_zpsbb9031bb.jpg

DSCN1443_zps4beafe2c.jpg

DSCN1445_zps839802dd.jpg

DSCN1446_zpseb732bd9.jpg

04_zpsccd893d1.gif

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Well it's been a while since I worked on this, but I did do something today, I actually figured out why the fuel gauge did not work, first issue was that the wires were unplugged on the back of the gauges, I pulled the cluster and checked them, the temp and fuel gauges both worked fine, Mike put an aftermarket temp gauge in it, so I won't worry about that now, so I re-installed the gauge cluster, turned on the key and it went to full, this I expected, as the sender was not connected, so then I hooked up another sender and tested the wiring, it worked fine, full was full, and empty was empty, so then I hooked it up to the sender in the tank, turned on the key, and it showed empty, well since I have not had a gauge, I had no idea how much fuel was in the tank, but I did have 5 gallons of premium in a gas can(no ethanol), so I poured it in, and it was still empty, I was not looking forward to removing the tank, so I looked down the hole in the bed and thought, maybe I can remove the sender, well it came out easy, I could hardly believe it, i put the working sender in it, started the NL, and the gauge worked great, That 5 gallons filled it up to the top, as I could see it when I removed the sender.

This is why the sender did not work, it was jammed in the empty position from years of sitting, once I loosened it up, it worked great, but it had one other issue.

DSCN1673.JPG

DSCN1674.JPG

DSCN1675.JPG

I am still going to carry around a 5 gallon can of gas till I know exactly where empty is.  :lol: 

cool truck. is that l 16 still for sale? i need on for my project 620 4wd.

I have an L16 in the shed, don't know a lot about it, former owner said it ran when pulled, but they all say that, but the week before it was in a truck, and he claim potential buyers could hear it run, I bought it for the SU package it had on it.

As I said, it comes basically a mostly bare block, no oilpan/oil pickup tube, no intake or exhaust, no alt, ect.

I said I wanted $50.00 if it ran, but I don't know for sure that it does in fact run.

Are you sure an L16 is going to work for your project, L16s are rev engines, not a lot of torque.

ok thanks i just need a good head because mines has some major valve issues. i live about 45 minutes from vancouver. could you pm me your address?

All you need is a head?

It has a 210 head, they are known for having issues, like getting oil into the water jacket.

This engine is buried now, I would need some time to get it out of where it is, you see I actually have not pulled it apart yet to get the parts I bought it for.

Are you saying you want it?