Where have all the 70's 200sx's gone?

I never knew about the VW thing, but the charger 2.2 was pretty rare. I saw only one other the entire time I owned mine. And that other one was black w/ gold stickers. (Mine was red and black like the pictures.)

Alas being a stupid kid, I lost the keys, let it sit for a year and then donated it to the kidney foundation.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew about the VW thing, but the charger 2.2 was pretty rare. I saw only one other the entire time I owned mine. And that other one was black w/ gold stickers. (Mine was red and black like the pictures.)

Alas being a stupid kid, I lost the keys, let it sit for a year and then donated it to the kidney foundation.

I used to see those things everywhere, there are still a few running around town, even one painted like the Dukes of Hazzard.

Brock

I owned an '82 Omni just like the Charger, I think it was an O24. Even had the spoiler on the back! I got a Charger hood scoop with the decal and the two front fender 'vents' (non functional) and you could not tell the difference. It was auto but the motor was just incredibly strong and outlasted the car, which became heavily rusted. Eventually is sagged in the middle and the doors were hard to close. I took it off the road because the kids only had carpet on the floor between them and the pavement and the drivers seat was tilting back further and further because there was nothing holding it up. While I was out of town my wife traded it for an '82 Grand Prix from her brother. :lol:

The car that looked like the boxy Rabbit, was the Horizon, with the 1.7 liter motor, had a VW stamped into the head casting. My brother had one.

I owned an '82 Omni just like the Charger, I think it was an O24. Even had the spoiler on the back! I got a Charger hood with the decal and the two front fender 'vents' (non functional) and you could not tell the difference.

The car that looked like the boxy Rabbit, was the Horizon, with the 1.7 liter motor, had a VW stamped into the head casting. My brother had one.

Alright enough of this disinformation. The Omni/Horizon was a 4dr box. the Omni O24/Hoizon TC3 was the same shape as the Charger 2.2.

http://www.geocities.com/aaronkarpi/1978.htm

My buddy just gave me a set of those wheels, came with an old 510 race car he bought. I'll look at them this weekend, but if I remember correctly they are 14x5.5. Personally I think they are ugly as shit, but old Datsun wheels are getting harder to come by so beggars can't be choosers.

Brock

Brock, let me know what you find. I am still interested.

I once drove an Omni GLH - the boxy Rabbit knock off. It did in fact "Go Like Hell", but when the turbo came on, you'd better have both hands on the wheel and be ready for a major steering correction. When the term "torque steer" ever comes up in conversation, I get flash backs from that first drive in the GLH when the boost came on! Instant lane change by simply stepping on the throttle

Thats friggen rad~!

No doubt. Miki's New Silvia had a full race L20B at the time and was quick. I'm almost positive it's the same car as FCWankel's white car. I'm also diggin' that jet in the background. Such events are never gonna happen again post 9/11...

No doubt. Miki's New Silvia had a full race L20B at the time and was quick. I'm almost positive it's the same car as the white car. I'm also diggin' that jet in the background. Such events are never gonna happen again post 9/11...

Yeah, I know it no guarantee, but the cars have the same wheels, yokohama sticker, rhd, fender mirrors, moulded in flares... I'd be suprised if it wasnt.

I love cars with history, especially when it can be backed up with photos.

Guest jaimesix

Looks the same , even the grille emblem and the dents on the fenders. Anyone knows how to contact Miki Okubo?. Would be interesting to ask him what modifications he made to that car.

Perhaps he knows of others. Perhaps he has other Datsuns.:)

Jaime.______________________________________________________

• 2 weeks later...
Brock, let me know what you find. I am still interested.

Ok, I finally got my lazy butt out to the sticks to check those wheels.

Bad news....they are 13x5. Sorry dude, I could of sworn they were bigger.

Brock

As for the 1st gen 200SX, I'm afraid the crushed pic is too true. I've seen five in the Spokane Upulls in the last three or so years. And just yesterday, I saw a sixth one there. It was one sad little SX. Must have been sitting out in the woods for years. Pine needles under the hood on either side of the engine, I mean full level with the top of the block. Sorry to know it will be crushed though. I got the dogleg shift knob from it for a buck. One of the few parts on it worth getting. I've seen maybe another 8 to 10 of these cars live in the wild in the same time period. Well maybe not live, usually parked and likely non-running. One for sale in Spokane right now ($500 I think), although auto trans.

And then there is the '79 parked in my driveway. My daily driver, at least until my 510 is back together. I bought the SX from a gypo car lot for $100 cash and two six-packs of Rolling Rock. It was non-running due to bad gas, but I got it running and saved it from the crusher. I have to smile nearly every time I look at it. It is just so weird looking.

Oh, you totally SUCK!!! That's why the tranny I grabbed was missing the knob!:D No seriously, that's the tranny I have in my 510 right now. Pulled a spare though out of the little tan HL510 a while back at PNS, 5 gear whines, and then 3rd gear started up. Still works, but not if I keep driving it.

Ok, I finally got my lazy butt out to the sticks to check those wheels.

Bad news....they are 13x5. Sorry dude, I could of sworn they were bigger.

Brock

Brock, don't sweat it man. Now I can feel real warm and cozy inside knowing that the rims wouldn't fit anyway, and that the ones that I've got were the absolute best choice. Photoshop is a wonderful thing, and this info saved me a bunch of heartache, lost sleep, etc.

Thanks again, Brock!

Brock, don't sweat it man. Now I can feel real warm and cozy inside knowing that the rims wouldn't fit anyway, and that the ones that I've got were the absolute best choice. Photoshop is a wonderful thing, and this info saved me a bunch of heartache, lost sleep, etc.

Thanks again, Brock!

No Worries..glad I could help.

Brock

There is one that I see parked at a gas station here in Redondo Beach, CA, very often. I suspect it belongs to a mechanic over there, or someone working at the station. I will drop by with my camera and take some pictures, perhaps it is for sale.....let me find out.

Dammit, you beat me to it! As soon as I opened this thread I thought of that car! It lives at the Mobil in HERMOSA Beach that is tan in color. That car has been there for YEARS. I remember riding my bicycle by there as a kid in the early nineties and thinking that car was a far out space ship! It was still there last week when I was filling up the ape.

One of my buds had one in high school that was yellow. I haven't seen that running around here in the south bay since she got rid of it. It had those crazy wheel covers on it that looked like a golf ball made of squares (if that discription works).

Also, it is no mistake that the omni and rabbit look the same. They basically are. Someone also pointed out the VW casting underhood an O24. Chrysler (more specifically Alpine--Chrysler UK), was working closely with VW on developing this car, Alpine modified their version just a bit, basically so it wouldn't be a rebadged Volkswagen. Some of the Alpines also had Peugeot running gear as well!

Later

KFD