Where have all the 70's 200sx's gone?

I did manage to get the intermittent windsheild wiper switch from it to hopefull install into my 620.

Jason

I hope this means a write-up is forthcoming :D

Intermittant would rule if it could still look stock, does it use the same style knob?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a soft spot too for the "crappy little car" of course mine was in mint condition odly enough but it was an 87 chevy chevette cs coupe. damn cool it was and had a hell of a stereo system to boot. I just wish I had pics of it. Nismopu knows all about it, maybe he has some pics?

They looked a lot better with the JDM spec bumpers on them (much like the B210). The US spec 5MPH shock-mount bumpers didn't flow into the body lines- it wasn't until the 1980s that the US-specs even allowed bumpers that moulded into the bodies again. Of course, you bump a late 1970s Datsun car into a basketball hoop pole, you MIGHT need to replace the bumper. Back a modern car into the same pole you'll have to replace the trunk lid and half the rear sheet metal.

2eDeYe;35520']I hope this means a write-up is forthcoming :D

Intermittant would rule if it could still look stock' date=' does it use the same style knob?[/quote']

A write-up will come IF i get around to figuring out the wiring to make it all work. I was only able to get the switch. There is some kind of electrical box that actuates the delay feature that i could not find on the 200sx. And so far i cant find a wiring diagram for the SX either(havent looked hard yet). I have looked at the wiring diagrams for the early 80's datsuns and they still show this separate wiring delay box in the diaghram. I also looked at the wiper motor in the SX and counted the number of wires going to the motor, And it has the same number of wires as the 620. So, i think that the delay box is just tapping back into the slow speed wire, intermittently. Might be an easy conversion, might really suck.

However, I havent pulled my stock two speed switch out of the dash yet, But the mounting looks identical from memory. And the Knob is exactly the same, also has the fiberoptic lighting from the backside like the 620.

Jason

There was one nice S10 200sx at Canby last year. A couple 610's also. Long live the Datsun hardtops!

I used to see a cool S10 running around portland 15 years ago. Light blue paint, lowered, with the emblems and body side moldings shaved. Once all the crap was gone, you could really see the interesting body lines in that one.

Unfortunately, most of us only saw those cars as good for the easy dogleg 5 speed swap into a 510.

Jason - If you need a wiring diagram, I can scan one from my '79 200SX factory shop manual and send it to you. I can probably find the location of the delay box too. I think I'll grab the delay parts from that 200SX I saw at Pull n' Save for my 510.

Len

If you have that info that would be cool, I will probably have to use the later model delay box, but havein the info on the early delay wiring should be handy also. Can you just PM it to me after it is scanned? Or E-mail?

Jason

Jason - I'll get the wiring diagrams scanned and send them Sat. or Sun. If you happen to get back to the car you got the switch from, the shop manual says the wiper delay box is inside a sheet metal box under the hood. On my '79, the only thing like that I see is right behind the battery. The book shows two relay like things in there. I'm not sure which is for the wipers. There is also a condenser there that seems to be part of the wiper circuit, that you might want to grab.

Len

Thank You Len for that info on the locations, If i can make it back to the JY soon i will see what i can get.

I took apart a toyota sienna minivan yesterday at work and hiding behind all the plastic in the left rear corner is a intermittent wiper box for the rear wiper of the minivan. Found it interesting, havent looked at how it is wired yet though. But saw it as an possible option. Would prefer to keep it all datsun/nissan though

Jason

Jason - I finally got the wiper wiring diagrams scanned and sent to you in a PM. One page shows the 200SX switch and which outputs are hot at different switch positions. You may be able to translate this information to be able to control another make delay box. I know that is beyond my metal powers. If you can figure it out, I'm sure all the early 510 and truck people would love the information.

Len

Jason - If you can figure it out, I'm sure all the early 510 and truck people would love the information.

Len

I am sure that they would really like delay wipers in the 510's and trucks. Not sure if this switch is similar to the 510 switches or not.

Jason

• 1 month later...
Len I'd love to see a pic of your 79 sx! Ice I agree with you about the 610 2 door. There is one south of me with super low miles for $500. Automatic though. But my awesome datsun-supportive wife just HATES the look of the 610. I even bought an original sales flier to try to convince her. No dice.

She would rather me get a 320 or 411 or even an early 60's sedan than a 70's 610.

no offence man but why doesnt she like it i know ill probibly be shot for saying this but i like the 610s lines better then the 510s

no offence man but why doesnt she like it i know ill probibly be shot for saying this but i like the 610s lines better then the 510s

I have a theory. Because we were born in 1971, mid to late 70's and early 80's Datsun designs remind her of something mom drove. In ways I understand. I prefer 521 and earlier trucks to the 620. But as an artist I have to say the 620 has some of the most beautiful lines of any truck ever. Better than the 521 even. But it just looks so 70's to me with the interior layout, etc. (I've often wondered how I would feel about it if I could swap in a 60's dash?) But I'd rather have a truck that looks a little more classic to my mind. (Would've loved a 320!)

So I guess any vehicle that we were too young to remember growing up feels more timeless to us.

Kids born in the 80's and 90's might feel the same way about the 620. Hell, to them it might as well look as classic as a '59 to me!

I think she also thinks it looks like a wanna be muscle car, and she is not fond of 70's muscle car design to begin with. And with the 610's little wheels it looks even wimpier to her.

I think one of the reasons I love the 610 is because it is rather the odd man out, and I like things a little different. But it also has great lines. the profile reminds me of the 620 actually.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a theory. Because we were born in 1971, mid to late 70's and early 80's Datsun designs remind her of something mom drove. In ways I understand. I prefer 521 and earlier trucks to the 620. But as an artist I have to say the 620 has some of the most beautiful lines of any truck ever. Better than the 521 even. But it just looks so 70's to me with the interior layout, etc. (I've often wondered how I would feel about it if I could swap in a 60's dash?) But I'd rather have a truck that looks a little more classic to my mind. (Would've loved a 320!)

So I guess any vehicle that we were too young to remember growing up feels more timeless to us.

Kids born in the 80's and 90's might feel the same way about the 620. Hell, to them it might as well look as classic as a '59 to me!

I think she also thinks it looks like a wanna be muscle car, and she is not fond of 70's muscle car design to begin with. And with the 610's little wheels it looks even wimpier to her.

I think one of the reasons I love the 610 is because it is rather the odd man out, and I like things a little different. But it also has great lines. the profile reminds me of the 620 actually.

eh maybe but i still think the way the roof line flows is better the the box like 510

But as an artist I have to say the 620 has some of the most beautiful lines of any truck ever.

True dat right there. :cool:

...and that's not to say there aren't some trucks out there with good lines. 56 F100, 72 C10, 66 F100 to name a couple. The 620 just looks so smooooth, especially shaved :D

Thank You Len for that info on the locations, If i can make it back to the JY soon i will see what i can get.

I took apart a toyota sienna minivan yesterday at work and hiding behind all the plastic in the left rear corner is a intermittent wiper box for the rear wiper of the minivan. Found it interesting, havent looked at how it is wired yet though. But saw it as an possible option. Would prefer to keep it all datsun/nissan though

Jason

The 720 trucks had wiper delay too. The wiper switch is on an arm on the right of the steering column. I think all had a 'mist' position which had a preset delay. If the end of the arm had a twist adjustment then it had a variable time delay control option. The '80 720 and all 4X4s do not have this option but '81 on King Cab GL does for sure.(and maybe others) The control box is against the right side steering column below the dash. I put a 4X4 wire harness in my 620 but swapped the variable arm switch and different control box in and hooked up a very useful variable pulse wiper.

• 4 weeks later...

hmm, i guess this thread is partially about s10 200sx, aka silvia gen 2 :)

as mentioned in previous replies, many feel they're the ugliest datsun ever made (no offense to fcwankel)

the jdm version with small bumpers is an improvement, but it's still a design that's more at home on the bladerunner set

having said that, the flared, scca versions were sorta cool ...

2rfzrrc.jpg

• 4 months later...