Where have all the 70's 200sx's gone?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I miss my 78 200SX! I paid $350.00 for it spent two years and countless hours restoring it. It was sitting in primer waiting for me to get enough cash to paint it when I moved out of country. My brother calls me up and asks if he can drive it, as he needs a second car for a few months. I said it needs paint...can't drive it in primer. He says I'll get it painted, that will be my rent on it. I'm like..OK sounds good. Well, my brother is an overhead door repairman, so he goes to this local bodyshop that does beutiful custom work and says that he'll do a bunch of work on their doors for a paint job. They agree and the car is painted a beautiful red. Two weeks after the car is painted I get a phone call, "I had an accident with your car and they are going to write it off." I can't believe it two freakin' weeks. I never got to see the car, but the insurance company gave me $2800.00 for it. Not even close to covering my labor, but not bad for an old Datsun. Of course the car is registered in my brothers name so he only gives me $1500.00 for it, cause "I had to cover my cost of the paint job" ...Asshole. I don't talk to him much anymore, and I'm definitely never lending him a car again.

Man, I miss that car! Everyone who saw it said it had a beautiful paint job...not even one picture.

Brock

Guest jaimesix
Okay, so here is my little sweetie. It doesn't look so bad in the pic, but maybe not so good in real life. I mentioned I paid $100 and two six-packs of Rolling Rock. People who've seen the car have suggested I seriously overpaid. But it has been a faithful little driver, and taught me a lot about Datsuns. And makes me smile a lot.

200SX_web.jpg

That Datsun is awesome, one of the mostly under rated Datsun foprms ever. This 200SX S10 has been a racer and it has plenty of factory Datsun/Nissan trophies. Team Davenport had a couple 200SX in competition here in the US.

The US , notoriously, changed the "as intended " regular bumpers for "logs", or as currently known, "Park Bench" bumpers.

Here a picture I took back in 03 when I went to Shasta Datsun Car Show. Thsi 200SX has the regular "Worldwide" bumpers, only the US got set up with defacing "Park Bench" bumpers.

Check this racing 200SX, Datsun "Z"s, "510"s and other brands saw in this 200SX a nemesis hard to defeat.:cool:

2328429_187_full.jpg

2328429_6_full.jpg

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
Man I miss my 78 200SX! I paid $350.00 for it spent two years and countless hours restoring it. It was sitting in primer waiting for me to get enough cash to paint it when I moved out of country. My brother calls me up and asks if he can drive it, as he needs a second car for a few months. I said it needs paint...can't drive it in primer. He says I'll get it painted, that will be my rent on it. I'm like..OK sounds good. Well, my brother is an overhead door repairman, so he goes to this local bodyshop that does beutiful custom work and says that he'll do a bunch of work on their doors for a paint job. They agree and the car is painted a beautiful red. Two weeks after the car is painted I get a phone call, "I had an accident with your car and they are going to write it off." I can't believe it two freakin' weeks. I never got to see the car, but the insurance company gave me $2800.00 for it. Not even close to covering my labor, but not bad for an old Datsun. Of course the car is registered in my brothers name so he only gives me $1500.00 for it, cause "I had to cover my cost of the paint job" ...Asshole. I don't talk to him much anymore, and I'm definitely never lending him a car again.

Man, I miss that car! Everyone who saw it said it had a beautiful paint job...not even one picture.

Brock

I learnt my lesson with brothers and cars. Not as dramatic as yours, but stressing.

My brother was visiting town. He is supposed to be a guy that knows about cars...but knowing about cars and caring for someone else's car are 2 different things.

I let him use my Datsun 610. One day I am driving my jeep to meet him and his wife for lunch, in town, while he was using the 610. I enter the street where he told me he was parked...and guess what....he was sitting on the hood!!!!:( Get your ass off my car you.....:mad:

The worse part, he later denied he ever sat on the hood, albeit I saw him ....!!! :eek:

Before he arrived in town I ordered the quarter windows rubber trim, the one that goes between the quarter side glass and the driver and pass wiindows on ea side. I asked him please to be carefull with it. At the time I was a Nissan employee and I got the 2 last, VERY LAST parts of this kind in the US and in the US system. Well, upon his departure, while I was cleaning the car, I saw the brand new, 30 day old rubber seal split open!!!:eek:

:mad: Bottom line, nobody, absolutely nobody cares about YOUR car the way you do.

Nobody cares about anybody else's car the way they care about their own car.

Jaime.____________________________________________________

2328429_6_full.jpg

Anybody know anything about these wheels (size, width, etc)? I would love a set of them for my 610. Thanks for the pic, jaimesix. The last time I saw a set of these was on a B210, but I had the wheels that I've got, and I'm not going to stop traffic to stare at some wheels!

Guest jaimesix
Anybody know anything about these wheels (size, width, etc)? I would love a set of them for my 610. Thanks for the pic, jaimesix. The last time I saw a set of these was on a B210, but I had the wheels that I've got, and I'm not going to stop traffic to stare at some wheels!

William.

I can ask around and try to find the owner of this car. He is the guy standing over there with a cast , I remember talking to him. I do not remember his particulars. It is a CA car, judging from the license plate ( could had been an Oregon or Washington car, Shasta was a mix of Ore/WA/CA cars, with some Nevada and AZ vehicles too.)

I will find out.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

Sure the US version had ugly ass bumpers, but you just never ever see them. With a drop, the right wheel tire combo... and if we could do something about that grill... I don't know.

Then again, maybe there is a reason they are not around any more, but I admit, I like them.

I hada cheesy 1982 Dodge Charger 2.2 as a teen. Man I loved that car, I did some serious heavymetal head banging in that puppy. (LAst pics) That might explain my soft spot!

351487_21_full.jpg

SCOTT.JPG

77_200sx.jpg

351487_13_full.jpg

B185.jpg

dodge-11.jpg

Charger22-thumb.jpg

Yeah wehre did all those go, along with the 5 bazillion old dodge colts, everyone scrapped em them sons of bitches. I go everywhere and people are like oh I had one of those as my frist car. Yeah and what happened to teh poor mitsu, it was related to dodge to it was scrapped. Poor babies I bet finding one of those 200sx is like finding a part of my 78 lancer aka dodge colt coupe. not the galant version.

William.

I can ask around and try to find the owner of this car. He is the guy standing over there with a cast , I remember talking to him. I do not remember his particulars. It is a CA car, judging from the license plate ( could had been an Oregon or Washington car, Shasta was a mix of Ore/WA/CA cars, with some Nevada and AZ vehicles too.)

I will find out.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

Thanks jaimesix. I don't know why, but everytime I look at these rims, I see them on my 4 door. I love my wheels, but a set of these waiting in the garage... Oh, the possibilities!:D

Guest jaimesix
Yeah wehre did all those go, along with the 5 bazillion old dodge colts, everyone scrapped em them sons of bitches. I go everywhere and people are like oh I had one of those as my frist car. Yeah and what happened to teh poor mitsu, it was related to dodge to it was scrapped. Poor babies I bet finding one of those 200sx is like finding a part of my 78 lancer aka dodge colt coupe. not the galant version.

There is one that I see parked at a gas station here in Redondo Beach, CA, very often. I suspect it belongs to a mechanic over there, or someone working at the station. I will drop by with my camera and take some pictures, perhaps it is for sale.....let me find out.

I still see those every once in a while, not common at all, but I have seen a few in the past years. I believe two reasons made them not popular.

1). The defacing bumpers made them look way wider than they are, specially the rear one.

2). The wheels width. I thought about this all the time, since I was a teen ager. I can see that today's cars have changed in that respect, in part thanks to BMW, a brand that begun selling their cars with factory fit, wider and taylored made wheel tire combos.

Back in the day, the only cars I remember being sold with factory wide and fit wheels/tires were the Corvettes. Imagine a Corvette with 15X 5 wheels and 170/80/15 tires, it would had looked like a B210 or a 200SX, wide and clumsy.Add to that Corvette with bland tires and wheels, a "park bench " bumper set, and the Corvette would had been seen as a paddle boat!:eek:

Fit the right wheels and tires to a 200SX ( or a B210 ) and then the real car comes out. Add the world wide ( non US ) bumper set, and then we are talking.

I can see the potential in a 200SX, and the best part, the exclusivity factor. A nice 200SX sets the driver in a category by himself.

I wonder how the racing japanese and other countries racing 200SX might had looked like, because I see that US racers incorporate into the race flared bodywork the US "park bench " version bumper shape. It would be interesting to see a overseas racing flared set up with the non US bumper set shape incorporated.

Thanks jaimesix. I don't know why' date=' but everytime I look at these rims, I see them on my 4 door. I love my wheels, but a set of these waiting in the garage... Oh, the possibilities! [/quote']

I will ask Brad, he might know that guy, if you talk to him , ask him about it, in case I forget. Brad knows a bunch of people from that show, I would not be surprised if he knew this guy. I also know Jim, he might know.

Not sure of the size of width, but i think they were 13". My brother has a set that he wants to get rid of. I could ask him what he wants. I think that he even has all four center caps.

Jason

Not sure of the size of width, but i think they were 13". My brother has a set that he wants to get rid of. I could ask him what he wants. I think that he even has all four center caps.

Jason

Thanks, Jason. If they're 13", that might be the deal breaker. Gotta be able to clear some 280ZX brakes (typ. 14" Nissan wheels) Let me know.

Guest jaimesix

Jason

The wheels on that 200SX S10 appear to be 14. I have to find out for sure, but those look 14ish.

Frank ground the calipers on a 280ZX and fit 13's on his red 510.

o rly? do you know how much was shaved? this may save me from having to buy another set of wheels when I finally do my brake swap

My buddy just gave me a set of those wheels, came with an old 510 race car he bought. I'll look at them this weekend, but if I remember correctly they are 14x5.5. Personally I think they are ugly as shit, but old Datsun wheels are getting harder to come by so beggars can't be choosers.

Brock

o rly? do you know how much was shaved? this may save me from having to buy another set of wheels when I finally do my brake swap

He said he just shaved the nubs off the outside of the caliper. You could try it and see if that's all that needs to be done. I rode in his 510 that had 13's on it. I asked about the wheel size because the brakes looked to be 280ZX brakes. :blink:

Are those chargers common in there? my dad has 3 dodge omnis (same car) but only 1 is registered and that one has the 1.7litre vw engine (stock) and the rest has the dodge 2.2litre engines. Its a cool ride cause there is only 4 registered in finland. Was the 1.7litre engine omni/charger avaible in america?

2eDeYe;78141'']Over here the Omni and Charger are not the same car other than the motor and maybe some other components. Omni's are more like a Rabbit/Golf and the Charger, well... it looked like the pics :)

You forget the Omni O24, predecessor of the charger 2.2. basically looked the same but VW powered. You are thinking of the Omni 4dr like the GLH.