Where have all the 70's 200sx's gone?

I put this one back on the road when gas was around $4.00 a gallon and after successfully smogging it I put it up for sell on CraigsList and sold it the first week and bought my 1974 Datsun Truck so I would never have to deal with California Smog again...

It ran great and got 22 mpg easily...

http://www.nissanforums.com/classic-datsun/145217-1978-datsun-200sx-putting-back-road.html#post1229666

1978 Datsun 200SX - Putting it back on the road...

The 1977, 1978 and 1979 Datsun 200SX must be the "Dog of the Datsun World" as It's really hard to find much about this car on the Internet.

I picked this car up for $500.00 and the owner said it "runs good", but the someone tried to steal it and broke a key off in the ignition switch, so I bought without hearing it run and with a little tinkering on the engine, adding some fresh gas and by removing the electrical plug off the back of the ignition switch I was able to get it to start right up using a screwdriver for key.

Oil pressure seems to be sketchy, as in it's good off idle but after the engine warms up the pressure seems to go down to a little above zero. Besides that it started right up and does seem to run pretty good.

The brakes were out, I removed the Master Cylinder as it was filled with black looking sludge and replaced it with a rebuilt unit. After bleeding the brakes I got enough pedal to drive the car and it drives like an old Datsun, no power steering and bad brakes. LOL

I replaced about half of the vacuum lines as they were cracked, installed a new thermostat and that's about where it's at right now.

I've ordered parts to rebuild the rest of the brakes and will change the oil and tune up the ignition. I'm hoping to revitalize it enough to punish it for another few years.

Anyone know much about these cars? AutoZone shows they can get me a rebuilt motor should it die on me. Body seems to be straight, someone repainted it white, originally it was green. Interior is okay, not bad but not great, usable as it is for a commuter car.

Going to transfer the title and register it on Wednesday, then try to get it smogged. Sure is ugly but if I can get it dependable with minimal investment I'm going to use it for a commuter car for work which is 100 miles one way.

I need two hubcaps to give it that stock ugly look, I have two hubcaps and 4 beauty rings for the stock wheels.

Here's some pictures when I bought it...

1978200SX001.jpg

1978200SX002.jpg

1978200SX003.jpg

After I fixer her up, not much visual change, most fixing up was mechanical...

1978200SX004.jpg

1978200SX005.jpg

1978200SX007.jpg

1978200SX008.jpg

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was waiting to see one in that ugly a.. pea green!! my cousin had one that color and i had to ride to h/s in it till i got my licenes,,talk about embarassing!!! she was hot (hey im from ga,,its legal :P) but driving that brought her down a notch!!

1978200SX008.jpg

but it met its maker,,when it snowed here the carport collapsed on it!!:lol:

• 1 month later...
Yupp i have all the paper work under the name of Okubu. Were did you get a hold of this picture though mang .

Dude, I took that picture. With a film camera. Always liked that car. Wish I had more pics.

• 1 month later...
I know a guy with a 200sx with box flares. The thing looks like a freakin' transformer! IMO, some of the ugliest cars datsun made (next to the 2+2 Z's), but their ugliness makes them kinda cool.

Robot in disguise...

normal_IMG_1452.jpg

I think with the bumpers deleted and some more front end work, maybe fill out the flares better or with nicer wheels this one could look really cool.

IMHO, box flairs are hideous on any car. Box flairs on an S10 are like another wart on a witch's face.

It's so wrong.... it's almost better. Better than the yellow 510.

:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe something more like alfa gtam flares would be better.

Guest jaimesix
I know a guy with a 200sx with box flares. The thing looks like a freakin' transformer! IMO, some of the ugliest cars datsun made (next to the 2+2 Z's), but their ugliness makes them kinda cool.

Robot in disguise...

normal_IMG_1452.jpg

I think with the bumpers deleted and some more front end work, maybe fill out the flares better or with nicer wheels this one could look really cool.

I think in this picture it is writ the 510 is the ugly ducklin. 200SXs are cool, like any car, these nice Datsuns need some accesories. In fareness, a stock 510 with stock wheels and stock suspension height does not look anything great at all.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

I think in this picture it is writ the 510 is the ugly ducklin. 200SXs are cool, like any car, these nice Datsuns need some accesories. In fareness, a stock 510 with stock wheels and stock suspension height does not look anything great at all.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

That depends on your perspective about the particular car. A bone stock original matching numbers 510 with no mods in pristine condition would likely be worth more than all but perhaps the best done modded ones.
That depends on your perspective about the particular car. A bone stock original matching numbers 510 with no mods in pristine condition would likely be worth more than all but perhaps the best done modded ones.

Kind of apples and oranges no? Value and looks are different agendas some of the time. Just like purism and modification(-ism?). :-)

Kind of apples and oranges no? Value and looks are different agendas some of the time. Just like purism and modification(-ism?). :-)
Not really. Like I said, it depends on your perspective. Though I wouldn't know what to do with one, a clean, showroom stock appearing vehicle, especially a vintage one, has a certain appeal.

You're arguing the wrong thing, everything opinion related is perspective. It also goes to both extremes in price too, but whatever the case that's wasn't the point.

Point was one guy is talking his opinion on a particular look and you respond talking about value lol. Hence apples and oranges.

Edited by 72240z

the s110 ain't bad when you add the flares and small bumpers ...

6hthfq.jpg

Call me crazy but I would actually rock a gazelle proudly. It's rally career more then makes up for what ever looks it may lack (pre-remedied ;-)).

There is a restoration build somewhere on a rally one they found at the bottom of a river. One of the best builds I have ever seen.

Ah, I see. But it's still just personal opinion. I didn't state my take on the "certain appeal" thing in the original post. I thought I did but that's what happens when you have distractions while responding to a post. That should have been there. The misunderstanding comes from that omission on my part. I should have either not mentioned value or just added it as a second condition.

It's okay I was just nit picking too.

You think a decked out sr w/e, crisp, clean 510 will sell less then a perfect original 510? I personally don't know but I'm curious now.

Tough to say. They would appeal to different types of buyers. Then the personal opinion thing would again play a part. Timing would have a lot to do with it just as it does with the sale of any vehicle. Either of them would sell for more than any of my vehicles however. (If I ever decided to sell them)