1977 620 KingCab Deluxe

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I will take pics of the repair as I go. Still have to get my crank pulley off, loaned my puller out a while ago and can't remember exactly when or to whom so I bought a new one and then realized I have to get metric bolts for it again. :lol:

Should be picking those up after work and then getting back to it.

Haven't got much done...the river called!

IMG_3226.jpg

I did get some pics of the tools needed for the repair. I wanna thank Frank again for hooking me up. :D

Here is the heli-coil kit. It comes with everything but the drill bit.

IMG_3213.jpg

Rest of the supplies.

IMG_3214.jpg

The drill bit fits perfect in the old gear hub, there should be a new one with the complete timing chain kit.

IMG_3216.jpg

There is a shoulder on it that will keep the bit centered in the bore.

IMG_3215.jpg

You can see the blue tape Frank added to the bit to keep from going to far into the bore. I will take some pics of how to measure that after my sunburn cools down :lol:

Here is another component of the fuel system that I don't think has been in this thread. It runs to the stock vent return line on the truck and on the KA.

IMG_3193.jpg

My buddy had the same thing happen to his ka. He did the same repair and it failed in a catastrophic manor. That bolt has a lot of force on it. I would at least put in a thread insert instead of a helicoil. Replacing the head is the only real way to fix it.

-Josh

Thanks for the jinx :lol:

Look what I found.

a little fawked?

IMG_3280.jpg

Yup....

IMG_3293.jpg

Whut?

IMG_3284.jpg

Oh noes!!!

IMG_3285.jpg

hmmmm

IMG_3286.jpg

Shoulda been a clue, this is not VW tin goddammit! :rofl:

IMG_3279.jpg

Peek....

IMG_3290.jpg

This is the next plan...maybe..more thinking is needed before ordering stuff. :)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=iv7vm6

2eDeYe' timestamp='1345083536' post='739770']

Thanks for the jinx :lol:

Look what I found.

a little fawked?

Yup....

Whut?

Oh noes!!!

http://www.mcmaster....inserts/=iv7vm6

Hate to tell you "I told you so"..... but I kinda did :crying:

The key locking inserts are kick ass if you have enough material to open the hole up. Honestly as cheap as heads are I would just swap it and never worry about being stranded on the side of the road. Just my opinion. We know I don't have the best track record for advice :rofl:

looks like its already had this issue before..

is that really a heli-coil in there already?

fuck it... put an l20 back in.. :lol:

Yep.

Yep...

Fawk no...this thing hauls ass :D

Hate to tell you "I told you so"..... but I kinda did :crying:

The key locking inserts are kick ass if you have enough material to open the hole up. Honestly as cheap as heads are I would just swap it and never worry about being stranded on the side of the road. Just my opinion. We know I don't have the best track record for advice :rofl:

Yeah, you did :rofl:

It amuses me to no end that I found that in there. I'm gonna go ahead and try a locking insert. I'll be looking at a few different styles to see which one has the best thread engagement. The one in the link will work, there is enough material there to tap it. I also plan to 'cature' the bolt so that it's not in single shear, should take a lot of stress off the threads. I just can't see throwing away an otherwise good head. BTW just for reference, this fix lasted at least 20,000 miles. That's what I've put on this thing since the swap, not sure how long it was run that way before I got it.

Ya'll can laugh at me if it doesn't work out. :lol:

whats this thinking stuff??? just buy what you 'need'. I think about buying stuff only when I don't have the $$ to buy and it hurts my brain.

Got to feel good about the cut before I make it, ya know. Talked with my stress lead at work about the inserts, he said it would be much stronger than the original aluminum threads and thought my double shear idea might work. The inserts should be here on Wed, if I got the time I will do some drilling.

Fantastic. Where'd you get the rims?

Thanks, the wheels are from a Nissan Titan. I should be getting my turbines mounted up pretty soon, so the Titans will go back into the shed for a while. :)

Inserts came in, but I spent the day driving my girl to pick up her new ride. :D

Inserts, after putting my hands on them I think they will do the job nicely.

IMG_3328.jpg

Driver for the locking tabs.

IMG_3329.jpg

....and Angies new Xterra to replace her old one that she donated to her son.

IMG_3330.jpg

It is a Toyota, there are a couple in the family. That one is a good time in the woods. :)

Turbines might be the final wheels for this truck, but I did pick up a set of chevy steelies.

Turns out that drilling hardend steel is about impossible :lol:

IMG_3816.jpg

Another roadblock, there is an oil passage above the threaded hole for the idler gear bolt. Not enough meat to drill it out and install the insert. WTF? Sooo new plan is to fix the helicoil and lock the bolt in place with a set screw throught the timing chain cover. Essentially this will capture the bolt in double shear so that the threads aren't holding the bolt in place, they just locate it.

Pic of the oil passage above the hole, it's a bit hard to see in this pic but it's there...

IMG_3819.jpg

• 1 month later...

The threads were still decent for the helicoil, so I got creative with some epoxy....

Picked up some Marine Weld, basically JB Weld for wet conditions. Dabbed a bit on the helioil and threaded it in. Then I put the bolt in and let it cure for 24 hrs.

Better shot of that pesky oil passage.

IMG_4211_zps44877fc7.jpg

Epoxy, after some research into high temp and oil resistant epoxy I decided on this.

IMG_4212_zps2093bd8e.jpg

Post cure

IMG_4213_zps3eaefb37.jpg

I have an idler gear again. :D

IMG_4228_zpsb9c164f4.jpg

At this point it was time to address the side loading that bolt is seeing. Here's how that went... pic heavy to tell the tale.

IMG_4233_zpsab39b4b1.jpg

IMG_4229_zps8563de8a.jpg

IMG_4230_zps361caab1.jpg

IMG_4231_zps296ac414.jpg

IMG_4235_zps48249a22.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

Got the chain on...now I have to put an insert in one of the tensioner bolt holes :lol: