• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

...and here we are in Sept. :rofl:

Tear down

IMG_8028_zpsa05777c1.jpg

I fixed the timing chain idler gear permanently with a one piece rivet nut.

You can see here how the load bolt is centered on the idler bolt and applies pressure effectively putting the bolt in double shear instead of single shear.

IMG_8029_zpsa9805e11.jpg

Old one two piece rivet nut

IMG_8200_zps77a8b25d.jpg

New one piece rivet nut.

IMG_8185_zps523a7055.jpg

IMG_8186_zpsd2203551.jpg

IMG_8187_zpsf07427bb.jpg

IMG_8188_zps4cdd244d.jpg

IMG_8189_zpsf986751c.jpg

and installed, was really easy with my press.

IMG_8193_zps2704f1b7.jpg

Mostly back together. I will need to get a bit longer set screw so that I get a thread or two outside the jam nut.

IMG_8195_zps1bff383f.jpg

IMG_8196_zps3e165328.jpg

Now to swap the diff to the 3:54s and swap out the giant sway bar bushings with some new stockers. :)

Ok, call me dense, but what was the purpose of installing that nut sert?  I'm not getting the issue with the tensioner bolt there.

The idler sprocket bolt for the timing chain is threaded into the head and the aluminum threads are all that is resisting the load of the tensioned chain.  Something like so   -|

The nutsert is allowing a load bolt to push the head of that idler bolt and is captured by the cover, this ties the head of the idler bolt to the timing cover, putting it in a kind of double shear. Something like  |-|

This holds the bolt and keeps it from flexing up and down from the chain tension. That way it can't wallow the threads in the head and it also keeps the bolt from un threading itself. The next best fix for this would be to counter bore the idler bolt so that the load bolt fits into the idler bolt capturing everything in the load path of the idler gear. Kinda like that so |-]-|

Hope that makes sense, I can doodle up some pictures if need be.  :lol:

Where do you get a 3.54 gear?

From the same 720 I got the transmission out of. It's been sitting here waiting patiently to go in. :)

Interesting.  There are some upper guides to be left off the dohc heads iirc.  Is that one of them, or are there others?  It led to chain rattle, the Nissan fix was to omit them?  Think that's what I remember from the 240 crowd.

Ya the new kit didn't have any upper guides. My rattle was due to the lower guide being nonexistant :lol:

This is a fix for an entirely different issue. The idler gear bolt is in single shear and threaded into aluminum. It's like it's designed to fail, screwing up an otherwise perfectly fine head. This will keep it from failing again.

Good to know, I'll have to investigate that on my end for the motor I have ready for the 510.

Check the threads on that idler bolt. Apparently it is a common issue and the fix is a heli-coil, so you'll be able to tell if it's been stripped before.

Why I am a slacker...side tracks

IMG_8212_zps7f947661.jpg

IMG_8211_zps05854780.jpg

IMG_8213_zpsf7100c3a.jpg

IMG_8214_zps13e45df5.jpg

IMG_8215_zps387af0d5.jpg

IMG_8226_zps69152f51.jpg

More stuff left to do and we are redoing my bathroom :lol:

• Like 1

Very nice!!  Love it!

Hmmm......thinking back to when I made the heater knob for Mend.......weren't you the one that told me to polish that shit up?!!!!!!   :)

Probably :lol:

It will get polished up while I get other stuff done :)

Made an interesting discovery today. 3:88 gears just came out of the truck. :confused:

IMG_8244_zps869ddeec.jpg

In will go the 3:54 set. I am much more confidant it won't be to low geared now :lol:

IMG_8245_zpsb2e24eb4.jpg

Got some stock sway bar bushings back in along with some needed clearance. Ya for suspension travel. :D

IMG_8230_zps6970e942.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So this hose broke and I though I could get away with a section of straight line. It got pinched and blew the front seal. :lol:

IMG_8538_zps047e2b30.jpg

With the new seal

IMG_8539_zps9e00a604.jpg

Blown seal, there was rubber chunks everywhere. :ninja:

IMG_8550_zps166eac33.jpg

IMG_8551_zps82c5f90f.jpg

Cleaned it up and got it back together. Then I took it for a test ride and holey shit does it haul ass with the 3:54! I can do 10 mph to 40 mph in second gear and had no trouble passing traffic in fifth on the freeway.

Then I found the short that has been plaguing me. Who the fuck designs connectors like this? It's a heat shrink connector so I never noticed it was a piece of shit. Changed back to the standard style soldered minus the yellow thingy and shrink wrapped.

Brand new connector taken apart. WTF?

IMG_8562_zps4213b117.jpg

Next to the old one that was all melty from shorting.

IMG_8564_zpse87e3f10.jpg

Good connector.

IMG_8566_zpsb95803ce.jpg

That was annoying :lol:

I'll see about getting some pics of the truck when I am out and about today.

Oh ya I entered both trucks in the indoor show for FEST.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57915-fest-nov-9th-monroe-wa/

1381742_10151910443970600_878066734_n.jp

• Like 2