• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

I just called Aole last night we spoke for a little while. He was in good spirits.We spoke about 510's. He is still going thru therapy and hopes to be walking in the near future.

That's it for now.

keep praying for him!

Does Ace still have the same cell #? The last time I called his brother answered and told me the bad news. I'm happy he is in good spirit and will see him back in the 510 swapmeets.

• 2 weeks later...

We should plan a build party for him. We could have a dime done by the end of the weekend if everyone showed up. :D

That should give him some motivation to get himself sorted out. Don't know the man, but you don't get a whole community rallying for you unless you're one hell of a human.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

To All,

I wanted to provide an update for all who have been following my brother Aole's story since April 2010. It's been over a year since the accident and Aole has made a tremendous amount of progress. Given that most of you have not actually seen him throughout the process, it is really difficult for you to grasp what that really means. So to put it into perspective, the benchmark here is that the initial diagnosis from the doctors was that "it would be a miracle if he ever recognized us again." For a doctor to say that, you can imagine how bad his injuries were and continue to be. The current status is that he is able to communicate effectively. Keep in mind, he has substantial brain injuries. He remembers I'd say 85-90% of everything from before the accident. His speech is difficult to understand, at times, but he continues to work hard in speech therapy to improve. He is still wheelchair bound, but working hard in physical therapy to relearn how to walk again. This process will take some time. He says it is very difficult to retrain the brain to do many of the task that we are accustomed to doing, like walking. He said that at times his brain will tell him things that are completely false from reality. For example, his brain will tell him that he is falling over when trying to stand, when in actuality he isn't. He said that ignoring those false messages is one of the most difficult things he's ever had to do. The progression with is walking has gone from him barely being able to stand to now where he is able to stand upright and walk with assistance from the physical therapist. He definitely needs assistance at this point, but he has shown marked improvements in his ability to support his own weight. He remains very aware of his condition and is working hard to get better. He remembers how he was before the accident and given his level of awareness, it is crazy how positive he has remained throughout this process. The approach to his treatment is still day by day and there is no certainty as to how far or how much of a recovery he will make. Having said that, he continues to show progress as of today. He wanted me to tell everyone thanks for all prayers, donations and positive thoughts.

Lastly, we are planning on a JCCS visit this year on September 10th! Aole said that he wanted to go to the show, so we are planning to make it happen. Hopefully we will see most of you there. If so, stop and say hello and let him know you've been following his story on ratsun.

Thanks to the community and feel free to hit me up on a PM for future updates.

• Like 8

Thank you for the update, it's great to hear that he's fighting. Let him know we're all still with him.

And just so that you don't miss it, JCCS is on the 10th of Sept.. I guess alot of people have been confused about the date being on the 11th. Hope to see you there.

Thank you for the update, it's great to hear that he's fighting. Let him know we're all still with him.

And just so that you don't miss it, JCCS is on the 10th of Sept.. I guess alot of people have been confused about the date being on the 11th. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the date correction!

Having identical twin boys with severe mental and physical disabilities i can relate to how hard he ( and his loved ones ) must be working to help himself..As long as the people around him stay as positive as possible,, he will as well .Hope he gets better