PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright guys!!! I just gotta' brag. I GOT TO RIDE IN IT ! ! !

I went for 2 quick days to San Diego and caught up with Mark after He got off work. My son, Cayton (who was on a one week leave from Japan) had the gracious honor of riding first!! He totally fell in love with it and perhaps He will get a 620 some day! Then it was My turn. This wasn't a very long ride, but around Lakeside (East San Diego county) and guess what?!?!? We saw another 620 and three 521s on that drive!! I've got to say, a roadstered truck is very, very cool moving along in. Mark has done an awesome job and is very foutunent to have such a cool ride in such a cool part of planet earth (the weather was AWESOME) to go to work in!! Thanks Mark!! See You tomorrow night!!

Makes me ant to move down south. So I can show trucks and cruise all year long. And hell being a truck driver I can get a job anywhere....And my parents now live in Scottsdale AZ...But I love the NW...just the winters bum me out from time to time.. You guys have fun at Reso and line the Datsuns up so you will get a magazine shot...Becasue classic minis are the rage.

Mike- it was fun dragging over the high spots in the road w/ you in the pass. seat :D

dave- we'd love to have you down here in So. cal. It only rains here 4 or 5 times a year :cool: And yes all the 620's will be in line together in the show..thats been in the works for awhile.

Le devil- ill post more pics of the setup next week. It is simple & basic, might change the setup next year but it's a secret ;)

• 5 months later...

Ok guys not realy an update but i have a question. When i let the truck sit for more than 2 weeks i have to remove the fuel pump [stock] & hand prime the carb by moving the arm back & forth. The truck DID have a fuel return line when i got it but i removed it when i ran all new fuel lines. Is it doing this because the gas is draining back into the tank? If so can't i hook up a ball valve so i can "close" the fuel line when it sits?

I have installed those one way check balls in diesel fuel systems before. Seemed to fix this same problem very well, however i think that it is more of a band-aid fix, rather than fixing the actual problem. The check ball that i installed came from NAPA.

Jason

I had a similar probl with my old truck. I just cranked it for a minute and eventually it got the fuel to the carb.

How about pouring a little fuel into the carb bowl first.. ? If that gets it started and then flows fuel around it sounds easier than removing and re-installing the fuel pump.

Love the truck, reminds me of when I chopped my international,but you did way more trick stuff. Makes me ichy to go cut something up!!!!!

100_2750.jpg

I just got into datsuns when i bought my L320, but here is a project that has been put on hold since I have been trying to make the 320 roadworthy

100_3088.jpg

sorry for the not-dat pics but Its what I have of fabrication stuff right now.:blink:

Again, love the truck!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Kool truck Zen. I worked a bit more on the carb filters yesterday. The choke cable was rubbing against the backing plate. Tomorrow i need to reinstall the clutch fork [again] & bleed the clutch slave & maybe drive it around the block to see how the SU's perform.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update. I got the air cleaner backing plates modified so they dont hit the choke cable anymore. Also scored a few parts at Ecology on half off day...........a NEW GR starter & lower rad. hose mount + hosei need to do my alt. swap...

6-22GRstarterLradoutlet.jpg

got both for $20-ish !!!

& i picked up a steering wheel adapter off a 720 that fits my Nardi wheel i recently refinished. It has a cover on it that i painted black & the kool thing is that the splines are the same as the 620!!!

6-22wwheelon620.jpg

that part cost bout $5....:thumbsup:

Im so excited that now i can run my wooden wheel! Gotta love the yards!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just bought the new alternator. I picked up the 77-81 510 IR unit. Along with that i bought a new shorter belt in hopes of the alt clearing the idler arm. Gonna mock it up using the stock 620 alt. mount & see how it clears. Pics tonight hopefully. I also installed the new rear brake line, had to re-bend it to clear the axle.

Pics of the new IR alt...it's a bit bigger but bolts right to the stock mount. The wiring was easy [TY Hainz & Datsunmike] but now i need to buy a belt thats 1 inch longer...

7-2oldnewalts.jpg

side note: the IR unit pulley is slightly different from the stock unit.. Make sure you buy the right belt, other than the length i almost did...

& the 2 wires that got cut & spliced into the T connector @ the alt...

7-2newaltwiring.jpg

I was also able to use the stock lower rad. hose inlet but the alt. is really close to the lower hose but it's not hitting the idler arm which is good :cool:

hey mate,

just read the whole lot from start to finish. your work on your 620 is amazing... i hope mine will be a similar standard when mine is finally finished.

if you ever down under in queensland, send us a hoi, i know of about 4 or so 620 guys here who would happily show off their rides!!

Ok got the right belt..it's 36 inches long & the alt. has plenty of clearance & wont ever hit the idler arm again....

7-5newaltclearence.jpg

& heres the brake line i had to replace...had to "modify" it to clear the frame as it comes down...

7-5rbrakeline.jpg

if this doesnt work ill go with a braided line thats more flexible. And i reattached my SWDP plate w/ more skulls :blink:

7-5SWDPplatewskulls.jpg

& a view from inside my garage @ the wagon & the HB :cool:

7-5sunflag.jpg

I did however find a hairline crack in another section of brake line that ill repair next week so no biggie:rolleyes: