PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

O

7-5sunflag.jpg

I did however find a hairline crack in another section of brake line that ill repair next week so no biggie:rolleyes:

What is that white vehicle sitting on spokes? I'm thinking of picking up a set of 6-lug adapters so I can run my 13's on my 320.....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's my neigbhors Frod pickup..dont like the truck but the rims yes :D Got back underneath the truck again today..& rebent the clutch fork retaining clips so hopefully it wont slide off the T/O bearing again. Also found a chunk of rubber missing from the clutch slave plunger so that'll have to be replaced...again. I may score one from a yard & take my chances rather than pay $35 for a new part altogether. Does anybody know if one off an older Z car [plunger] will fit/work?

Ok i had to install a NEW clutch slave which only cost $18 @ Napa part # 37498 & i picked up a NEW rear wheel cylinder for $21 part # 37307. Drove her around this evening & the SU's seem to be working fine. heres a quick vid from earlier today...

th_7-8620driving.jpg

I wanna thank Steroid for helping me repair the brake lines & the clutch slave, without she'd still be in the garage :thumbsup:

Thx...the wheel cylinders were'nt hard to find. Napa had them i just had to order them & wait 24 hours. Tore it down today & installed new cylinder..damm what a mess! Brake fluid on the inside of the drum & 1 of the pads had become saturated. The easy way to remove the drums is to take 2 tailgate hinge bolts & insert them into the 2 small threaded holes on the drum & then tighten slowly & evenly...i did'nt even have to back off the star adjuster...

7-11boltsindrum.jpg

& the mess....

7-11oldwhlcyl.jpg

new part installed...Napa part # 37307 $22...

7-11oldwhlcyl.jpg

7-11newwhlcyl.jpg

Only took 30 minutes to complete & while i was under there i adjusted the E brake cable :cool:

Yeah Mark, you forgot to mention "if the p.o. didn't strip the holes out in the drum already".....:lol:

Yep, and then it becomes even harder...but, the fix, after you get that drum off is to just drill it out a bit bigger and retap....those tapped holes sure do make the removal of the drum soooo ez........New drums that I ordered did not come predrilled.....FYI (just a small matter of layin out the location and drill/tap..no big deal)

Ya, well like mine were 9mm and I called Nissan as to where I can find a 9mm and they assured me that they were 8mm. I told them that an 8mm would just slide in and a 3/8in. almost fit. I went to the local fittings specialty outlet and they had no idea about 9mm stuff. I dug through a freinds junk bolts box and actualy found a real 9mm. Later I found another in my own trash hardware pile. Where they came from I don't know but I have set them carefully aside.

so ummmm, third times a charm......... what is the advantage of the alt swap, what is it off of, and does it have a better volt output?

Read ALL the posts & youll find the answers to your questions...not gonna repeat myself ... again. Yeah i guess i got lucky that the drum threads were'nt stripped. BTW the bolts were 12mm but not sure of the thread size. Jason...sometimes PO's can do more damage than good. Ron...good idea!

A bit of advise when bleeding..go ahead & buy a brake line wrench!! They cost around $10-$15 but well worth it. They look like a letter "C" & wont strip the fittings.

most of the old cars I have worked on, the bleeders were corroded at the edge of the bleeder between the wheel cylinder and always stripped using a flare nut wrench... the wrenches only work so well and end up "flexing" to the point of slippage. I have found that my 6 point box ends work a million times better and I have never stripped a bleeder since... on the brake line fittings I use the open end BUT mine have a "special no slip gripper thingy" built in and I have yet to strip one of those either... in the past using flare nut wrenches (the correct size), I have even managed to strip brand new brake line fittings. I use to have terrible luck with nuts and bolt... no such issues since upgrading my tools to a "good" brand (not craftsman).

wow... I rambled a bit there... sorry PCD :D

what "good brand"? i use craftsman.....whats better?

well... I used to have a ton of craftsman tools... I always argued how great craftsman was because every time I broke one I could get it swapped out at sears. After starting to wrench on cars professionally I realized that the down time of a broken tool was costing me... I decided to try a brand that comes on a truck (purposely not naming them so as not to sound pretentious), well I haven't stripped any nuts or bolts since and havent broken any tools either... couldn't be happier.

BTW I substituted "good brand" for a name for the same reasons above...

PCD; Love the progress on your truck, you do some good work there bro. I can really appreciate the use of ingenuity rather than a generous use of plastic/green paper to get your project where you want... keep it up. :thumbup:

I hate craftsman.... I have to buy them cus there are sometimes cheaper and all I can afford. I have found some of these "better" tools and well they are a hell of a lot better. My father brought all of his craftsman tools home and bought a new set of these "good tools" for work.... Man its does take away time from me when they break down. But some older craftsman tools are pretty good...

Well since you know.... Also MAC is pretty good....

• 3 weeks later...

OK big day today. I went back to my exhaust guy & had him extend the pipe all the way to the rear & weld on a tip i had layin around. Since i cut the top off the exhaust was making my eyes water every now & then so it had to be dealt with. Everything clears perfectly..im telling you theres not many people who i let work on my rigs but Miguel is a master & ive used his shop for years. Have a look & listen....

before just dumped after the Flowmaster...

8-6exbefore.jpg

after a little bending...

8-6ex2.jpg

sparks...

8-6ex3.jpg

more sparks...

8-6ex4.jpg

8-6ex5.jpg

& now listen..it's louder in person & thats fine w/ me :D

th_8-6exvideo.jpg