810 Wagon owner here...

Hi there, forumites! Kinda new to the forum but I post frequently on JNC and I lurk Hybridz and 300zxclub.com. Anyway... seems like a nice forum here so I thought I'd introduce myself and post some pix of my baby!

1979 810 Wagon, L24E 4spd MT:

JCCS099.jpg

JCCS101.jpg

JCCS098.jpg

JCCS104.jpg

JCCS003.jpg

Nice b-day gift my girl got me:

datsun.jpg

datsun005.jpg

Picked up some new wheels a couple weeks ago:

datsun004.jpg

datsun009.jpg

How she sits today:

datsun024.jpg

datsun025.jpg

My lovely girl-friend and our lovely wagon:

datsun023.jpg

datsun027.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up a 77 810 wagon.And it's white....with a maroon interior.Which i needs parts for.Ahhh,what part of Carson do you live in?;)

Mike-the book says that the 810s were standard with the 4-speed and the auto was optional.I would have guessed the other way around also.

Edited by Z-train
thats bad ass man!

Thank you!

2eDeYe;127084'']Nice goon, welcome :cool:

Thank you! Goon? :confused:

Really really nice goon man! Welcome indeed! Ya just don't see alot of 810's and we're glad to have you representing here!

Goon?? :confused: :confused: Haha... never heard this term toward a car. Wagon? Please elaborate! :) And I would just like to add: I love your art!

Nice 810 Wagon. Looks pristine, you are a lucky man.

Great find!

Thanks! It's in pretty good condition but I just found a little rust under the rear molding on the hatch... :( Little things here and there need replacing or fixing like trim, etc.

i remember seeing your car on jnc its a clean ride welcome to ratsun now please slam that thing to the bumpstops :D

Thank you! You, sir! Lowering is in the works... I'll probably have to go the cut springs route up front or a fab'd coilover system would be awesome!

Did not know the 810 came with 4spd, assumed they all were 5. Checked and July '78 on had the option, 4spds were phased out for '81 Maxima. Either way, nice car.

The only 810 that came with a 5spd was the Coupe (which is rarer than I dunno what) from what I understand. Both the sedan and wagon versions only had a 4spd in the USA (not sure if that was the same in Japan as they had other engine options). And Thanks BTW!

Nice Wagon!

ARIGATO!

I just picked up a 77 810 wagon.And it's white....with a maroon interior.Which i needs parts for.Ahhh,what part of Carson do you live in?;)

Mike-the book says that the 810s were standard with the 4-speed and the auto was optional.I would have guessed the other way around also.

Seen your thread! Awesome! I would love to pick up a Coupe or Sedan with the round headlights like yours!

Haha... I'm probably in the same boat as you... I need small interior parts here and there...

:eek: L24e

thats a rarity, got any more engine pics?

In the USA it is anyway... I'm not too sure if any other Datsuns in the US came with this engine. I only have one more angled pic. I plan to top off the head with a polished valve cover so I haven't taken too many pix of the engine bay yet...

JCCS105.jpg

Welcome to the site, fellow JNC'er!

Hey! It's good to see a lot of familiar screen-names here! :D

So the near future plans are to lower this beast... get some 810 correct fender mirrors... going for a similar stance:

hmm.jpg

Eventually I would like to swap in an L28E and possibly stroke it to 3.0 liters. Probably won't happen in a few years. Also over time I would like to acquire some wider wheels and flare the fenders and modify am airdam to fit... I would like it to look like this:

1awesome.jpg

(yes, I know it's a 610 Bluebird but they are similar and that's the model for my car eventually...)

nice!

The L24E came in all the US 810's and 910's (Maxima) 1977-84.

the L28 swap can be done but remember your oil pan is front sump. Z L28's are all rear sump. Either convert an L28 to front oil pickup and use the L24 oil pan or just bore the L24 out, then use the L28 internals inside that block. "call it good" :D

The rare thing about that car is having a manual transmission. I would think a 5-speed swap would be easy at this point. Maybe a lower geared rearend too.

Yes, sir... done my homework on the L28 swap! :) Talked to a few guys about this swap. I thought about just boring out the current L24 originally... but as I use the car a DD it makes more sense to buy another engine and just work on it over a period of time (no rush). I figured I may as well go big and do the L28 with a bump to 3.0...

How many liters can you get out of a L24E? That's one thing I didn't really look into. I have heard they are basically a de-stroked L28E... not sure how accurate that statement was.

Oh-yeah... and I'm also hoping to do the 5spd swap eventually. Just need to find a donor.

Zeto welcome to Ratsooon. Seen you over @ JNC..nice wagon.

Thanks and Thanks! :)

The L24 block and L28 block are the same physical size. In theory they can be bored out the same and the deck heights match so the longer crank can be put in with L28 pistons and rods.

Well an L24 is an option... but a stroked L28 would be awesome... :cool:

get a t-5 out of a 280zx turbo from what i hear it should take whatever abuse you throw at it

Precisely! Just need one to land in my lap now (that would kinda hurt...)...

Don't get a T5. You would need to use the turbo driveshaft too and then custom size it to fit your car. The 280ZX non-turbo transmission is strong enough for a 3.1 NA

The T5 really isn't much better if at all.

Didn't think of that...

I member this car from the craiglist. Nice car!!! Did you buy it?

Thanks. Haha.. I get that a lot. yes, I was the one who bought it. It was only on CL for a day and then it was mine!

Guest jaimesix

Awesome!.

Did you know guys that the Datsun 810 wagon and sedan both share the front 280ZX suspension,and the sedan also shares the rear 280ZX suspension???

I do not remember if the 810 wagon is leaf sprung on rear, if that is the case, cool.( My 710 is rear leaf sprung, cool!:D ) If it is an IRS rear suspension, then it also shares the Nissan 280ZX IRS suspension.

Lots of potential, never seen an 810 in full development ( although that black sedan in the previous picture looks awesome! ) in person.

Not only looks, but power to butress its good looks. A Skyline I-6 would be a natural engine, at home in an 810!

Nice!

"GOON" is what we call a wagon (slang thing I guess) Were not calling you a goon. :lol:

Haha.. awesome. First time I ever heard of a wagon called a goon! That may make a cool vanity plate. :P

Awesome!.

Did you know guys that the Datsun 810 wagon and sedan both share the front 280ZX suspension,and the sedan also shares the rear 280ZX suspension???

I do not remember if the 810 wagon is leaf sprung on rear, if that is the case, cool.( My 710 is rear leaf sprung, cool!:D ) If it is an IRS rear suspension, then it also shares the Nissan 280ZX IRS suspension.

Lots of potential, never seen an 810 in full development ( although that black sedan in the previous picture looks awesome! ) in person.

Not only looks, but power to butress its good looks. A Skyline I-6 would be a natural engine, at home in an 810!

Nice!

I read that the suspension is supposed to be identical... I'm not sure how much the 810 and 280zx have in common as far as the suspension though. Apparently the front struts/springs are not the same... I have been looking into lowering options and thought I could use some S130 lowering springs. Nope. Won't work. Also the calipers and rotors are different.

The Coupe and Sedan have the IRS like the 280ZX/S130 but my wagon has the leaf spring and solid rear axle combo (as do all Datsun wagons of the era). I'm thinking of just using lowering blocks for the back.

It does have potential! It will be a nice example of an 810 after I'm done! I thought of maybe dropping in a modern engine like a RB25 or RB26 but I would like to keep the car "era correct" as far as mods... :cool:

Edited by zetozeto99