Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you all for the kind words.

I will be discharged from the nursing home tomorrow.  According to my surgeon it will be about a year before I completely heal.

I can walk a few small steps without my walker.  

I hope to be able to work on my 520 in a few months.

Working on getting another Great Dane.  She is a 6 month old Merle pup named Delila.

• Like 6

Wayno, you are so close to being correct that it is funny!  Insurance called yesterday and told the nursing home that they were cutting off the checks so I am now free.

No word on the puppy yet.  Patience is a virtue!

• Like 1

Wow Charlie! I'm sorry to hear about the hip. I'm just catching up on your thread and was not expecting that....I guess you weren't either!

I'm sure you're dying to get back in the garage and you will, but healing well is number one right now. I hope it happens quickly for you!!

• Like 1

Me too!  Somehow, I just caught what happened in another thread.  Glad to hear you are doing better and going home.  I spent 8 days in the ICU after my little "episode" a while back. I was going batshit trying to get out of there!

Anyway, take it easy and get well  :thumbup:   

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Jersey.  healing is slow I see my hip surgeon tomorrow and hope that he does a urine test to see taht I have stopped and finished the withdrawals from the Oxycontin and Oxycodone.  I hope I get to started with out patient therapy.  There is a good chance that I will have to walk with cane for the rest of my life.

Got dropped off at the DES office to take care of food stamps today.  It just happened to be next door to the nursing home I stayed in.   I walked over there with my walker to tell the people thank you that helped me during my stay and also to see a couple patience that were there.

Leandro was my last room mate and is a 95 year old man that when he was brought in with a broken knee from a fall he was in bad shape, he refused to eat or drink and would fade in and out.

Well They bath everyone that comes within the first twenty four hours.  They bathed Leandro and remeber the movie Gremlins "Don't feed them after midnight!"  Bathing Leandro woke him up, it was amazing how he came back from the basicly dead!  That night he was up and down and really restless.  His Daughter Mary told me they had trouble keeping him in bed and that he had demetia.  He diid not understand that he could not stand and walk but that did not keep him from trying.  He was amazingly stealth when he was trying to get out of bed could not here him move and for this reason his daughter Mary and and here Daughter and her husband and another family member from California did shifts watching him so he would not get out of bed abd further hurt himself.  This went on for over 2 weeks and the management had the staf tell Leandros' family that they did not need to stay.  Mary usually took the night shift as she is retired and has been taking care of her father Leandro for the last 15 years, any way she stayed till he went to sleep and then let me know she was leaving for the night which I appreciated because I don't sleep much, never have.  any way about 15 minutes after she left I heard Leandro ruseling around, I could not see him because the curtain between our beds was pulled.  I did not bother pushing the call button for the nurses I just started hollering for the nurses, poor response to the nurse call buttons, well one came running and was just in time to catch Leandro falling out of bed.  A second nurse showed up and helped get him back in bed.  This went on about every half hour for 2 nights.  Needless to say the nurses did not get much done for those 2 nights.

They installed an alarm in Leandros' bed that goes off when he would try to get out.  This made it so I did not have to yell for the nurses but did not help the nurses get anything done.  After the first night of the family not staying I asked the family to leave the curtain between the beds open so I could keep an eye on Leandro after the family left at night.

I saw Leandro today and he is doing well they have him putting weight on the leg with the broken knee.  It was nice to be able to thank some of the people that helped me when I was in the nursing home.

Gene helped go through some wheels for me to check for straightnes and wobble.  He found 5 good wheels and I gave wim the 2 that I was not keeping.  These are 78/79 620 disk brake wheels that like Wayno runs on his trucks.

DSCN1394_zps6dc19c98.jpgd/1966%20datsun%20520/DSCN1394_zps6dc19c98.jpg][/url]

• Like 5

I have been walking a half mile a day with my walker and this is really helping with my limp.  I am excited to get back into Spooner Physical Therapy.  These are the people that did a great job when I had my right knee replaced.  As long as I am a patient there I can use there facility any time they are open.  So I will be working on loosing some of my belly.

• Like 4

Went to Greg AZhitman's house today and he hooked me up with a new set of tires for my 520.

Tom and I went to 2 car shows yesterday They were great.  Tom was on his knee scooter (Diabetes prablems) and me using my walker.  You can slow us down but you cannot stop us we will survive!

Gene was supposed to go with us but ended up making the first show but missed the second.

The second show was Tacos and Rides advertised on Face Book.  Gene told Tom and I about it and honestly it was the best car show I have ever been to.  This show was a smaller one But It had antique, classic, rat rod, low riders, Race cars and customs of every kind you can think of.  No Datsuns!  Many of the top car clubs were represented and It was just good times.  We did not know any one there but were were welcomed and treated like family.  There was a DJ and of  course there were tacos.  There was a pin stripper showing people the tricks of the trade. Tea shirt booths and a Local artist that is very talented and believes art should not be expensive.

The tacos were $7 for 3 with a drink.  Tom and I had chicken and there were better than most tacos I have eaten.

An afternoon of good times.

Next year I will turn then on to the Datsun Mini Trucking seen.  And we will see if we get invited back the year after.  This was the third annual Tacos and Rides Car Show. Did not take any pictures as it was awkward enough using my walker

• Like 4