Don't Take Life for Granted....

A little while ago,my right hand swelled up,making it difficult to move my middle finger

( I'm right-handed),causing much pain & inconvenience.

Went to the orthopedic doctor a week ago,on Tuesday.They took a blood sample

from my palm & sent it to the lab.While I was at work on Wed.,I got a call telling me to get

to the hospital soon,as the sample showed infection.On that Thursday,they did surgery on

my hand,removing the infection.I was in the hospital for 8 days,& got home yesterday.  

It'll be a while until I can drive my sports cars again,but am hoping to drive the Dakota

soon (automatic).I have a PICC line inserted on my left side,in which I need injections every

6 hours,meaning interrupted sleep.Makes me appreciate my Wife even more,as she has to

get up & take care of it/me.

Makes me want to just be able to do normal things again.Opening up containers,shaving,

brushing my teeth is a chore,but I can still do these things,although it takes more time,as does

writing & typing.

Don't feel sorry for me.Sometimes I get down,but then remember there are others who are

much worse off than I am.

Sometimes you don't appreciate doing simple things 'til you can't do them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, angliagt said:

A little while ago,my right hand swelled up,making it difficult to move my middle finger

( I'm right-handed),causing much pain & inconvenience.

Hard to  drive when the middle finger is not working. I hear ya on the simple things we take for granted.

• Like 1

Here's hoping you have a speedy and complete recovery.

Too bad I am not closer, I could drive your sports cars for you.😁

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 2

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.I got bit by a cat years ago in the palm of my right hand.Ended up in the ER because my hand swelled up like a balloon.Within 2 hours they performed emergency surgery to drain the infection.Thirteen stitches,a tube stuck through my index finger and talk of amputation of my thumb and index finger.Four days in the hospital and missed 12 weeks of work from infection of Pastuerella bacteria.Some of the worst pain i ever felt trying to get my hand working again.It took years for my hand to feel normal again.One of the worst things was learning how to wipe my ass left handed.And trying to write left handed because i couldn't hold a pen or pencil.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, thisismatt said:

So...what was the original condition caused by?

Not sure.I think it was from either a splinter from a wooden pallet at work,

or more likely when I cut myself trimming thorny bushes in our yard.

It's almost always something dumb,rather than injuring yourself doing

something cool (&/or Macho).

• Haha 1

Hope you get well soon.  

I had a weird one in July.  I developed this rash all over and my entire body itched 24/7.   Thankfully not an infection like yours which is way more dangerous.

Doc suspected some kind of metal poisoning/contamination.  I had been doing a lot of grinding/cutting on some stainless exhaust with bare sweaty arms without thinking anything of it.  Doc said probably Nickle caused it.  Had to do some steroids for 10 days.  That itching was nuts!

• Sad 1

Well, glad you are on the mend, and hopefully you will be back to normal before you know it. 

And in theme of this thread, here it goes...

My Co- Worker has been ignoring his failing vision for months, and now he is at the point where he lost 100% sight in one eye and only has 30% percent in the other. His vision started getting blurry, but then it just got worse, and he kept brushing it off. Well, it turns out he has some pretty aggressive cataracts in both eyes and will finally have surgery to fix it. He is only 52

But until then, he is stuck at home, unless someone takes him where he needs to go. He can't watch T.V. or be on the computer. He regrets not going sooner and is now the guy sounding the alarm on taking care of yourself. I told him to go back then, but he shrugged it off. 

So to that I say to those "If the Bone is Sticking Out" types, take care of yourself, it is not worth the misery of putting it off.  We are getting older and it is time to stop taking things for granted or just shake it off. 

• Like 2

If it matters, Me and FAT510 were reroofing our beach cabin and,,, I had a heart attack .. Was at the end of July . Was in hospital for 6 days ..  put in stent but it busted artery so they jammed another inside that .. “I think”. ( was on enough morphine and fentanyl and Ativan to buzz pretty easy breezy through most of their talking points .. 

Apparently I’m still only pumping at 30% ( normal is like 50-60) because 2 arteries are/have been dead and they aren’t sure how long they have been dead…. so going through all the tests to see what’s to dead to hook up to so they can figure out what steps to take in my open heart surgery.. probably in November.

Although 30% does seem better than it was .  Haha 

But hell,,,, at least My doctor ain’t stressing so much about the diabetes I was diagnosed with in November 

. Life ain’t easy out there for the fat man . 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

If it matters, Me and FAT510 were reroofing our beach cabin and,,, I had a heart attack .. Was at the end of July . Was in hospital for 6 days ..  put in stent but it busted artery so they jammed another inside that .. “I think”. ( was on enough morphine and fentanyl and Ativan to buzz pretty easy breezy through most of their talking points .. 

Apparently I’m still only pumping at 30% ( normal is like 50-60) because 2 arteries are/have been dead and they aren’t sure how long they have been dead…. so going through all the tests to see what’s to dead to hook up to so they can figure out what steps to take in my open heart surgery.. probably in November.

Although 30% does seem better than it was .  Haha 

Get a KA pump from a Hardbody.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't say my vision was failing but seeing long distance I started closing my right eye... seemed clearer this way. Anyway, long story short it was cataracts. Estimated 30% loss. So had one done one month and the other the next. The new lenses also correct my extremely nearsightedness so I threw away my glasses. Surgery was painless and takes about 10-15 minutes plus an hour of preparation. (eye drops) Eye patch while sleeping for first week, lots of eye drops for a month no bending or lifting for several days. When one eye was done I found that closing the eyes one at a time and looking at something light colored, the new one was noticeably brighter. More light is getting through! I noticed the LED light in the bathroom was whiter, brighter and slightly blueish? now.    

• Like 1

I have been using contacts for years.One eye is blinder than the other.My wife's are the same.I don't use them all the time,like now,they are soaking in the containers.When they get dry,they start itching,so I keep a little container to put drops in my eyes.Before my dad passed,we took him for surgery and he died with 20/20.I have to get my eyes examined every year in order to get new contacts.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

First time i ever went to eye doctor was last year.. Did the eye chart thing a buncha weird electronical tests ,,  

Dude says all the tests show i have 20/20 vision ,, i'm like ,, you're bullshitting me, right? 

I got Hydrochloric acid splashed in my eyes when i was like 26-27  so my right eye waters constantly some times,, i use Systane ,, works like a miracle cure 

• 2 months later...

I had a skin graft about two weeks ago (to cover up an exposed tendon).

I was told it didn't heal right.I was told I might end up having to amputate my middle-

finger.I was shocked when I got the news,but may end up having it done so that I

can have decent use of my right (dominant) hand.I can barely move my middle finger

right now,& can't make a proper fist.

Looks like I'll be off work until at least the first of the year.Oh,to be (semi) normal

again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
51 minutes ago, angliagt said:

I had a skin graft about two weeks ago (to cover up an exposed tendon).

I was told it didn't heal right.I was told I might end up having to amputate my middle-

finger.I was shocked when I got the news,but may end up having it done so that I

can have decent use of my right (dominant) hand.I can barely move my middle finger

right now,& can't make a proper fist.

Looks like I'll be off work until at least the first of the year.Oh,to be (semi) normal

again. 

Damn dude, sorry to hear all this. Shit come in weird directions. Hang in there and let this thing play out. No matter what happens, you'll be as normal as the rest of us. 

• Like 1

Thanks - just SO sick of not being able to do much.I can work on my cars,

not having strength in my right hand,& having  to ask for help in doing little (& big)

things.I can't wait until I can get back to work again.

4 minutes ago, angliagt said:

not having strength in my right hand,& having  to ask for help in doing little (& big)

Save that middle finger!  It has many uses beyond the obvious, Skin graft sites for the hand typically come from the inside of the upper forearm, You have 2 arms so try again. An alternate donor site is neck skin [without beard], Beats amputation!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, angliagt said:

I hear you, stuff like this is humbling whether you want it or not. Like you, I'm not good at sitting still and not being able to do something to keep my head occupied. If you're the guy who get's shit done it's tough to rely on others for help. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do so you can get back to doing the shit you do. Look at the bright side, now you can learn to armpit fart with your left hand... Be good, but never behave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting the middle finger amputated yesterday.It will be for the best,as there were tendons

still showing through as the wound wouldn't heal,& they discovered that there was still an infection in the

finger.Hopefully I'll be back to work in about two months.Of course this means that I can only count to 9

on my fingers,& can only do a "High Four" with that hand.

I had the surgeon ask me if I wanted him to give me the finger - that is he asked me if I wanted

to take it home with me.I guess there's some "different" kind of people out there who are really "out there".

&

• Like 1
  • Sad 1