My first datsun

Nath96

so I just put the deposit down on my first datsun, its a 1972 521, just waiting on it being imported (im from England) just wanted to know if anyone could share any places to get parts of needed, any tips on keeping it alive and any info on the z16 engine

Also any info on how to upload photos on here, thanks 

• Like 3
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Z16? Interesting. Looks like it's an L16 but with a Z series head on it. There were Z18s also, some with a turbo. Again probably an L18 with a Z head. We didn't get either but we did get the Z20 which again IS an L20B block and Z head, A Z22 and a Z24. Is this coming from somewhere else in Europe? 

At the bottom left of your post next to the paper clip is "choose files" click on that and it takes you into you picture files in your computer. Pick one hit select. That's the best I can do.

• Like 2

Its coming from Thailand, I dont lnow too much about the z16 engine but im excited to find out more once I have it and dont really plan on swapping it out if it runs..... for now 

Yes im from Yorkshire in England and ill upload some pictures as soon as I figure out how haha

No need to mix bolts we use metric 

Also using my phone not a computer and its asks for the image URL?

• Like 2

521 body bolts are SAE.   it would be a nightmare on the factory floor assembling 521 trucks if the parts for 521 trucks going to countries other than the USA had metric body bolts.   Think about working on an assembly line putting stuff together, it you had to look up the serial number of each 521 truck, and then choose a bolt from the Metric or the SAE bin.

But on the plus side, if you need any plugs for water, or oil, or fittings into the manifold, they are a British Pipe Standard.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 3

Ohhh completely miss read the message about the body being imperial and the engine being metric, I though he just ment the whole car is metric and I moght want to change it, that still fine I have metric and imperial tool.... and a lot of hopes and dreams..... just no experience with datsuns or classic cars haha

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DanielC said:

521 body bolts are SAE.   it would be a nightmare on the factory floor assembling 521 trucks if the parts for 521 trucks going to countries other than the USA had metric body bolts.   Think about working on an assembly line putting stuff together, it you had to look up the serial number of each 521 truck, and then choose a bolt from the Metric or the SAE bin.

But on the plus side, if you need any plugs for water, or oil, or fittings into the manifold, they are a British Pipe Standard.

That is possible Daniel.  I have not worked on any 520 or 521s that came from other countries so I can not dispute what you say.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:56 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

your going to wish you never imported it.

body and brake are SAE threads

Motor is Mteric so remember to to mix bolts around

Kingpins in front go bad!!!! and hard t get parts

Hainz..........really??  SAE & metric??  Shows ya how much work I've done on MY 72 521!! 😝  But, I did just move it over to my shop, from work, so hopefully get started this weekend on some stuff.............especially cuz my roommate just called to say she is working all weekend!! 😎

Welcome nath96!  That will be a cool ride over in the UK!  Also curious.........where are you importing it from?

TJ 

• Like 3

FB_IMG_1591965234280.jpg.543cece57d46534

Welcome, and nice lookin little truck!

For the easiest way to upload images, I use imgur.com you can drag and drop the image you want to the browser, and after they upload, right click on the image and "copy image url". Then come back to ratsun and paste the URL for the image in and it will do the rest. 

• Like 4

Somebody pointed out a NEW method of posting pics!  In a "reply" window like this, look down in the lower left corner of the window, says "drag files here to attach or choose files", I use the "choose files" link, it goes to your PC/phone "photo's" file, choose pic & post it!  I just grabbed a favorite pic of mine.............

IMG_7327.JPG

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

FB_IMG_1591965234280.jpg.543cece57d46534

Welcome, and nice lookin little truck!

For the easiest way to upload images, I use imgur.com you can drag and drop the image you want to the browser, and after they upload, right click on the image and "copy image url". Then come back to ratsun and paste the URL for the image in and it will do the rest. 

Thank you 

• Like 3