20 hours ago, frankendat said:

Some massive number of homeowners, in the last decade, have appealed their assessment and that plus the ridiculous amount of building (e.g. 18000 home project is currently in debate) the assessor's office it too slammed to get personal (although never say never) But, knowing human nature and that my house, footprint wise, hasn't changed since, a permitted but not up to current code remodel in the 1950's and aside from new siding, windows, paint in the early 90's, (when I worked for contractor and had access to their product discount); a really nice (to me) covered/open porch (direct replacement of the old covered/open porch) the house is unchanged since 1910-1911. I would bet that the assessor, at most, drives by and multiplies the recorded square footage by the same rate as other houses in the area. 

Which sucks, most recently (construction on the main house stopped yesterday) a house about, straight line 100 yards from mine. (Two houses over, two houses down (average lot size under .19 acre). Property sold before construction finished, not listed, estimated selling price 2 million. Actual assessed value will not post for sometime due to assessor backlog. (The square footage of the detached garage with apartment above (ADU) exceeds the livable square footage of my home).

I say it often, but it beats into my mind everyday (there has been unending construction for so long it is normal) People are flooding into my neighborhood, my city, my county, my State, even my country and working to force me to leave. Not forcing me to share or too accommodate, which I don't like, but I'll own my grumpy old man. Forcing me to leave by using a imaginary number, based solely on the possibility that someone with more wealth might covet my home and if that wealthy person purchased my home, the value is based on how much would that wealthy person might pay.

It is wrong. The arguments for it are baseless.

What if the same system applied to Datsuns. Datsuns are increasing in value. I even had someone offer twice what I paid for the non operational Datsun in my back yard. Sales tax is based on value, what if registration fees and insurance were based on assessed value. Someone in your State sells a 620 for $15000, soon registration fees and insurance are now based on a $15000 value. The value and registration and insurance keep going up. How long before you can't register or insure it. You could sell it and make $$$$$, but you don't want to sell it. The value of all vehicles has gone up, you couldn't buy a new one. In fact, you couldn't by a better Datsun or even a Nissan, even if yours sold for over 10X what you originally paid.

The morale of the American story, not everything is for sale, but anything can be taken. Whether it is orderly eviction by uniformed police or bloody street massacres, then story ends the same.

Idaho ranks 7th in lowest population density in the US, but their +7% population growth is the highest in the country. Cali population dropped by -1.47% and I know many are cashing out and moving to other states to retire. If you live in a population center in Idaho like Boise, I'm sure you're getting seriously pinched by a bunch of half caf, monk fruit sugar, mocha soy latte, gray haired hoodie waring, eyebrow lifted zombies. Bro, you have my sympathies. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, KELMO said:

While I agree with most of this statement, I would argue that the NOTAM system can be helpful to smaller privately owned airports...

You're absolutely correct, and I would say that NOTAMS benefit private pilots and small operations much more than the 135 ops that have terminals and massive com links all over.  Someone flying their Stinson from Sandpoint to Yuma would have a harder time obtaining airport conditions.  Especially in the SW where they have all the MOAs that can go active at any time.

Something else that I was in error of was the one contributor; I was thinking the FAA, but you indicated that you can contribute to it for your airport, which makes immense sense, as it would be the quickest and most accurate way to convey info. 

• Like 1

Sounds like some wrecking yards. They go on line and see other wreckers selling 71B five speed for $550 and think the one they have is that much. Tell them that I've been watching that one for three years and say how many have you sold in the last 5 years???? Keep it and get about $10 for the scrap aluminum case or take my $100 now, I pull it. No bites.

I climbed up on the scrap flatbed and pulled a Diesel 71B for nothing. They loaded it and parked on the street for the next morning run. Driver said he didn't mind. lol

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Sounds like some wrecking yards. They go on line and see other wreckers selling 71B five speed for $550 and think the one they have is that much. Tell them that I've been watching that one for three years and say how many have you sold in the last 5 years???? Keep it and get about $10 for the scrap aluminum case or take my $100 now, I pull it. No bites.

I climbed up on the scrap flatbed and pulled a Diesel 71B for nothing. They loaded it and parked on the street for the next morning run. Driver said he didn't mind. lol

It is a phenomenon, the internet hype machine, which I catch some sellers actively promoting. It would be interesting to know what the parts sell for in the end. It has slowed down areas of my build. If I find a part I want that is silly priced, then I just bookmark it and wait. I tried contact and making an offer like you mention, but one seller refused to sell it to me weeks later, after his price came down. He sold it to someone else for less than I offered. I respect the move, it is something I would do.

10 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

The taxes for me haven't increased much because of the impact fees for building are high so the new folks are footing the bill but it definitely isn't slowing them down.

If only I could fly you in for the next public city meeting. I have provided facts, given testimony, yelled, written letters. HOMES BUILT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD DO NOT PAY IMPACT FEES. Zero/Nada. The impact fees for other areas/neighborhoods are minimal at best. But when "growth paying for growth" is brought before the city, builders wail and moan about the damage to the economy, rising prices unaffordable housing. I explained and explained those purchasing a 2,000,000 dollar home are not going to kill the deal if it is 2,020,000, (1%) but raising my taxes another $100 per month to pay for the additional infrastructure necessary for more people, hurts and it is similar to charging a prisoner for the rope to hang him.

Like FL, Idaho has something desired and until that is destroyed it will lure people to the State. Those requiring additional services should pay for those services. I am not offering a solution. A solution would require governmental reformation and nationwide rethinking. What is good about Idaho will be consumed/destroyed, but it is possible to prolong it. And by prolonging it a solution might be found to avoid destruction--I doubt it, but the current path has been traveled, by Seattle, Portland and Denver, the destination is well marked and certain.

I fight traffic and long lines everyday. Hunting seasons are insane. Yet, Musk is on the internet claiming population SHORTAGE.

Growing up, I didn't understand how great I had it or as said better by P. Floyd

The grass was greener

The light was brighter

With friends surrounded

The nights of wonder

Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us

To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side

• Like 1
3 hours ago, flyerdan said:

but you indicated that you can contribute to it for your airport, which makes immense sense, as it would be the quickest and most accurate way to convey info. 

Yes, someone ball up their airplane on my runway and I can close it in less than a minute.

Although it is a good idea to standby with a field radio, you know, just in case.

Last time someone balled one up, it took about 4 hours before the FAA told us we could remove the plane.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:44 PM, bottomwatcher said:

In Florida we have a homestead exemption. Only on one home if you own more and you can't rent it out. It keeps people from being taxed out of their homes but the next buyer will get bent over. Permits? Fuckem! Well the county uses drones doing fly bys but as long as you don't increase your footprint or try to sneak an outbuilding on your property you are ok.

Here outbuildings are only taxable if built on a foundation or otherwise permanently attached.. I am on my third or fourth modified "car canopy". The design has morphed over the years to address points of failure, currently I get 3-5 years on a tarp, and average 6-7, before a structure failure. One version or another of the 20X30 canopy has been the "second car" part of my garage since the early 90's. It originally was filled with salvaged furniture and Christmas lights and served as an outdoor party venue. We hosted many parties, for the last few years it has held my Datsun project. 

• Like 1

Yea what a mess Biden has going.They found this stuff before the mid terms and kept it quiet until afterwards.Biden just made a huge campaign contribution to Trump without even sending him money.I guess prosecution for Trump is out of the question now ? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, john510 said:

Yea what a mess Biden has going.They found this stuff before the mid terms and kept it quiet until afterwards.Biden just made a huge campaign contribution to Trump without even sending him money.I guess prosecution for Trump is out of the question now ? 

You forgot that,since he's a Democrat,it's no big deal,just an "honest" mistake.

It really irks me as to how the FBI seems to be pro-Democrat.I thought they were supposed

to be impartial.

On the other hand,I can relate to Biden - I keep all of my classified documents in

the garage,next to my MG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/14/2023 at 8:34 PM, angliagt said:

You forgot that,since he's a Democrat,it's no big deal,just an "honest" mistake.

It really irks me as to how the FBI seems to be pro-Democrat.I thought they were supposed

to be impartial.

On the other hand,I can relate to Biden - I keep all of my classified documents in

the garage,next to my MG.

Dood, that's a fire hazard............or at least potential smoke damage!!!! (remember, I grew up in British!) 😂

15 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Don't worry! Lucas=no spark.

I was one of the lucky ones............throughout 10+ years of daily driving MG's, I was never left stranded on the side of the road, except when I did something stupid like wrecking one!  I started working at the first British resto/repair shop at 20 yrs old & learned to fix whatever needed fixing, correctly..............not like the jerry rigging that so many did (same as on the Datsun's!).  I would fix things properly! 😉

16 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Don't worry! Lucas=no spark.

I disagee - it's almost always incompetence from those 

idiots who work on it like they would an older American car,

and/or not cleaning up & checking the electrical connections.

The worst car I've ever had (for electrical problems) was

a 510,but I don't put down all Datsuns for that one example.

Have you ever owned a British car? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, angliagt said:

I worked on a neighbor's TR-6 for years trying to keep that hunk of shit on the road. I'm pretty sure the electrical system was an abandoned afterbirth pulled from a dumpster somewhere in Chelsey. I named it Nigel the problem child. 

4 hours ago, angliagt said:

Never had a British car but I did have a British outboard (seagull). That thing was as simple as they come. The carb float had a needle on it that poked out the top of the carb. To start cold you turned on the fuel, watched the float needle rise and when it stopped pushed the needle down with your finger sinking the float until fuel dripped out the mouth of the carb. That was the choke system. Then you wrapped a rope around the flywheel and gave a pull. No fancy recoil start and the poor bastard in the boat with you normally got whacked in the face with the start cord if they were unfamiliar with the starting procedure. The learning curve was steep. Their ads said if it takes more than one pull it means you are out of gas. That was mostly true. They were pretty reliable but were not up to life in saltwater.

53 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Never had a British car but I did have a British outboard (seagull). That thing was as simple as they come. The carb float had a needle on it that poked out the top of the carb. To start cold you turned on the fuel, watched the float needle rise and when it stopped pushed the needle down with your finger sinking the float until fuel dripped out the mouth of the carb. That was the choke system. Then you wrapped a rope around the flywheel and gave a pull. No fancy recoil start and the poor bastard in the boat with you normally got whacked in the face with the start cord if they were unfamiliar with the starting procedure. The learning curve was steep. Their ads said if it takes more than one pull it means you are out of gas. That was mostly true. They were pretty reliable but were not up to life in saltwater.

Thanks UK, but I'll take an Evinrude, and a Japanese car.