Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

Hi Bob, I remember looking at this thread in 2009 when the truck was basically a concept, the first page of this thread. Life happened in the mean time, added a son, started a restoration of a good friends 510, added a number mods to my own 510 - the Bronze, just been busy is the best way to put it.

My wife loves the 520 trucks, one came up for sale last week, and while googling for photos I stumbled upon this thread again. It's taken me a week of mornings and evening's to plow through your build thread. Amazing work, you've done your truck justice, there's no doubt about it. From concept to complete execution, you've simply build a fun truck for many to envy. There's no doubt about it. As I read through the threat now, and realizing that it's been completed for some time now, I still feel a congratulations is in order on the project.

I also have a 60+ page build thread on my Bronze 510, and like you I prefer to do as much of my own work that I can. This car was also built t to be an auto X and track car. This fall was the first real track time it got and I look forward to more next year. If you have week to spare, I invite you to browse my build thread as well ;

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530

Great job and an inspiration to many. I suppose a guy like you doesn't sit still and I'll need to go look at your other build threads now.

Great job on the truck, it's just inspiring work.

Byron

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming along well Bob! Too bad about the ding. I was spinning my truck around on a road to back it onto a dolly and it stalled. i nailed a guard rail and crunched the back corner pretty good. Still haven't taken the time to try and fix it. Yours looks so much easier to deal with! 

Looking forward to more updates...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

What the ???!!!!!   Ask Rut if he ever got my brake kit installed on his 521!!!  He bought a kit and was having a shop put it on.  I've never heard if it got finished.  Kyle Petty wanted his 521.....maybe Rut sold it to him?

Even my wife likes watching Top Gear because of Rutledge!!! 

• Like 1

Mike, he did say he got the brake kit from you. He had it installed by a local shop. He did sell the 521, but not to Kyle, he sold it to some guy in his home town.

Well.....I guess that was my brush with fame. :)

At least yours isn't embarrassing ... my brush with "fame" is that Robbie Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) owes me $50 (he stiffed me on the money back in 1985, before he became "famous").    :pirate:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Bump for Bob.

In a waiting room yesterday, leafing through a Good Guys magazine article covering their 2013 Autocross nationals.  They slipped in one tiny shot of a Datsun on track with all the Amurican metal - and it's a truck!  May 2014 edition, Good Guys Gazette, pg 91 (you gotta squint).

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is very cool Bob.....Did you get any video of him driving?

I think I did, I'll check. I was riding with Rut when he drove it. I also let Tanner drive it. Tanner and I have known each other for years.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The MX520 is on display this month at Johnny Martins Car Central. It's private club for car enthusiasts. You can eat lunch and dinner with cool cars (and sometimes trucks) all around you!

IMG_6527_zpsd36c9e55.jpg

IMG_6528_zpsd6ebff12.jpg

IMG_6537_zpsef9b3629.jpg

• Like 8