Project "MX520" TOP SECRET

Bob3

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is the one year anniversary of this build thread!

IMG_2724.jpg

Thanks for coming on the ride with me. :w00t:

This pic says it all Bob! Thank you! You are a hero to many of us. You could have built any car you wanted, and not only did you go Datsun, but freakin 520. Damn straight!

Bob, wouldnt it help it some if u took the tailgate off? love the truck by the way... :D

I thought about that but I want to keep it stock looking. The 520 tailgate has the hinges welded on.:eek: I'm working on a bed cover. It will need to be substantial in order for the sanctioning body to allow me to run it on the track. I've welded in some tabs and cross braces that will hold 1/2" plywood, the wood will be bolted into place. It is not to bad, it looks like it will weigh around 9lbs. We'll see. I plan to work on it some this weekend.

I need some advice on door mirrors. What do you guys think? I want them to look vintage, nothing modern looking.

I need to know how much $ and where to get them.

Thanks!

I vote for keeping them round Bob! Or how about some peep mirrors? Or I LOVE the mirrors Madness has on his rig!

Or maybe you need something more aerodynamic?:lol:

There's a bullet on the front....

100_0612.jpg

ok, yeah, so not that aerodynamic...

You could put a wing on a brick but its still going to fly like a brick :lol:

Im really a big fan of the mooneyes bullet mirrors. They would look pretty good.

OK my vote is now for this mooneye bullet! Your truck is a mix of old and new and to me these are exactly that. Modern, yet classic! Good catch Duke! (Plus you can then put a mooneyes sticker on your truck!)

gt310.jpg

Hows about some bullet style? Like these:

Talbot "bullet" Mirror:

talbot01s.jpg

Elan Racing Mirrors:

sebringas.jpg

Another Bullet:

11149lg.jpg

Fender mirrors wound be nice is they worked as good as they looked... I'm not sure, never had any...

You could always have a set of 4 inch peeps and replace the flat mirror with a Convex mirror.

I built a frame for the air-dam.

This is a "Mock Up" with painted card board.

As soon as the snow melts, I'll run it out to the track to see if the air-dam / bed cover helps with top speed.

What do you think?

MX52010-27-09040.jpg

MX52010-27-09045.jpg

MX52010-27-09046.jpg

MX52010-27-09039.jpg

ok i dont know much about top speed, but its been proven that you get better gas mileage with the tail gate on an in up position, layin the tail gate down, takin it off, or puttin a net on usual decreases the mpg... however i do believe the full bed cover got slight better milage then the normal bed..

from what i can remember it has to do with aerodynamics, the air comes up over the cab goes down in the bed, swirls around an exits through the back.. thus creating downforce.. now... as far as top speed goes, the bed cover may be the better bet, But goin around corners ect.. i would suggest leavin the truck as is...

its up to you..

mythbusters ftw!