Cuz butthurt...now with added dickbees.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My nephew works at a high end hotel that has a five star restaurant. He hooked us up with the governors penthouse and a voucher for a full dining experience for our anniversary. The dinner was the best food I’ve ever had, and that’s saying a lot. The waiter was amazing, he was unobtrusive yet had a psychic like tendency to know exactly what we wanted before we asked for anything. He was funny and engaging without the feeling of fakeness that a lot of servers have, he even offered to take pictures for us. Desert came out with happy anniversary stenciled on the plate in chocolate. Dinner would’ve been close to two bills for us, and even though the voucher didn’t cover drinks, he told us not to worry about it. We tipped him all the cash we had. Shoutout to Roger at the Grange restaurant at the Citizen hotel, Sacramento California. He made a great time even better.

• Like 2

I'm surprised Mike isn't a good tipper. His mom always like the big tip I gave her.

She said you were a necrophile.

I don't believe in tipping, there. Automatically tipping is just wrong. Tipping because everyone expects you to is just wrong. In fact it's exactly the opposite reason for tipping in the first place. Tipping is a totally voluntary way to reward someone that you were pleased with their service. If you tip every time then, it's time you moved your bar about three feet higher.

On rare occasions I have been known to tip but I always ask if the tips go into a jar and divvied up at the end of the shift to all the servers. If it is, I put the tip directly in the hands of the girl and tell her to put it in her pocket. I refuse to feel bad for not tipping and when that rare occasion does come along it has more meaning.

On my wedding day we went out for a supper. The Maitre 'D was a stereotype. Tall slim, probably gay and called Andre. I said Hi Andre when he introduced himself. He said ' That's Awn-dray' I said "Oh... sorry Ann-dray' and continued on with our supper. I paid in cash rather than card and he was somewhat miffed and rolled his eyes. OK maybe not eye rolling. He was gone for ten minutes to get our change 'because he had to use the till in the lobby because not using a debit card' so I made him wait while I counted out a $20 tip and said 'Goodnight Ann-dray". My bride just smiled all the way to the car.  

Back in my drunk days, I used to tip the bartender a $20 on my first drink. Even at clubs where it’s ten people deep I rarely waited two minutes for service.

Another instance had a bartender give me my tip back because I had to teach him how to make an audios motherfucker, everyone was asking me what it was and I told them that only the guy with slick brown hair knew how to make it. I was drinking free by the end of the night.

• Like 1

Amazon would resume Seattle construction if mayor’s ‘head tax’ alternative passes

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan is proposing a smaller “head tax” on the city’s largest businesses instead of controversial legislation currently under consideration by the City Council. Durkan’s office confirmed the alternative proposal to GeekWire Thursday evening.

Durkan’s proposal would tax Seattle’s top-tossing businesses $250 per employee each year, rather than the approximate $500 in the current plan that the Council is set to vote on Monday. Durkan’s tax would expire after five years if not renewed, rather than replacing it with a payroll tax in 2021.

The smaller head tax has support from City Councilmembers Bruce Harrell, Sally Bagshaw, Rob Johnson, and Debora Juarez. There are five councilmembers who support the existing tax proposal.

The existing proposal would levy a 26-cent tax per employee for each hour worked at companies with at least $20 million or more in annual revenue. That comes out to approximately $500 per employee each year. The city says the tax would raise about $75 million per year for affordable housing and homeless services.

The polarizing plan has sent shockwaves through the tech community over the past two weeks.

Last week, Amazon paused construction on a 17-story skyscraper pending the City Council’s vote on the tax. Amazon is also considering sub-leasing its massive Rainier Square office project to another company, rather than occupying it itself. The combined projects would house more than 7,000 new Amazon employees.

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/seattle-mayor-jenny-durkan-unveils-alternative-controversial-head-tax-big-business/

She said you were a necrophile.

I don't believe in tipping, there. Automatically tipping is just wrong. Tipping because everyone expects you to is just wrong. In fact it's exactly the opposite reason for tipping in the first place. Tipping is a totally voluntary way to reward someone that you were pleased with their service. If you tip every time then, it's time you moved your bar about three feet higher.

On rare occasions I have been known to tip but I always ask if the tips go into a jar and divvied up at the end of the shift to all the servers. If it is, I put the tip directly in the hands of the girl and tell her to put it in her pocket. I refuse to feel bad for not tipping and when that rare occasion does come along it has more meaning.

On my wedding day we went out for a supper. The Maitre 'D was a stereotype. Tall slim, probably gay and called Andre. I said Hi Andre when he introduced himself. He said ' That's Awn-dray' I said "Oh... sorry Ann-dray' and continued on with our supper. I paid in cash rather than card and he was somewhat miffed and rolled his eyes. OK maybe not eye rolling. He was gone for ten minutes to get our change 'because he had to use the till in the lobby because not using a debit card' so I made him wait while I counted out a $20 tip and said 'Goodnight Ann-dray". My bride just smiled all the way to the car.  

Cheapskate.Next time you dine out inform your waiter/waitress of your tipping policy.

• Like 2

Not at all. I never said I don't tip, I just don't believe in auto tipping or undeserved tipping, which is, as I said, the opposite of what tipping is all about. Tipping by definition is... VOLUNTARY and for when you are impressed. If you tip every time you're not tipping at all, you've been conditioned to just hand out money equally to the good and the undeserving alike. Time to raise the bar above mediocrity and reward those most deserving.

Why would I tell my server my thoughts on tipping? So she can act like he/she cares harder? Butt-hurt because you didn't get a tip? Well welcome to the club. Maybe it's not me. Maybe it's your minimum effort for minimum wage. 

Basically Mike, you are waging a war on a Symantec issue at the cost of servers. It's called a tip, but at restaurants, it literally is how they are compensated for serving you. Tips outside of food service follow your convention and is certainly the best way to to use the term "tip". But the restaurant industry has fucked with the term and applied it in such a way that customers buy food, and pay for their service at a variable rate between 10-25%. With exception made for shit service and amazing service. Give it a little nickname if it makes you feel better, but you are penalizing the wrong people and not changing the convention.

The one thing I won’t do is patronize an establishment that has any form of compulsory tipping, whether it be for parties of more than five, to split checks, or any other reason they come up with. I honestly don’t care if they get taxed on 15% whether they get tipped or not, they can’t expect people to be ok with forced tipping.

Tipping is voluntary. You cannot be charged automatically on your bill without consent. The credit card machine prompts a % tipping fee be added which you can decline if you want, or it is where I am. Restaurants that do... how is this paid out to employees fairly? Where's the incentive to work harder with this welfare payment coming in at end of week? It's bullshit.

Give it a little nickname if it makes you feel better, but you are penalizing the wrong people and not changing the convention.

I like tipping better and it doesn't make me feel any better that it's really a FINE, a TAX, a PENALTY, a USER FEE then for dining out. What about the dishwasher? the busboy? the scullery maid? They probably get minimum wage too but they aren't subsidized???

• Like 1

Lots of states don't pay the wait staff minimum wage. They actually get paid WAY LESS than minimum.

They're check relies of the tip.

I lived in Denver in 03-05. Wait staff, bartenders, etc. got paid $2.13. Minimum was leaving $8.50.

They wait and serve you? Tip them. They ain't getting paid enough to put up with your bullshit.

• Like 1

Lots of states don't pay the wait staff minimum wage. They actually get paid WAY LESS than minimum.

They're check relies of the tip.

I lived in Denver in 03-05. Wait staff, bartenders, etc. got paid $2.13. Minimum was leaving $8.50.

They wait and serve you? Tip them. They ain't getting paid enough to put up with your bullshit.

^ yup. They get paid base rate far lower than minimum wage because of presumed tipping rate.

Wait, are y’all fucking serious? I’ve only lived in California, waiting staff have to be paid at least minimum per hour, tips are extra. I wouldn’t take a tip based job without getting paid correctly. I used to deliver pizzas about ten years ago, I made around $8.50, but doubled my check in tips and my cut of the delivery fee. It was a fun job, rip around town in my 510 blasting music and hitting the vape. Good times.

• Like 2