Just bought a 521

mainer311

1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Well guys, we have another RockAuto problem. A brand new temp sender, cold, rings out at 180 ohms. The old one on my L16 that works correctly reads 4.67k ohms cold. So, there’s something else that doesn’t work for our trucks. ...unless I got one that’s a dud.

I bought the WVE 1T1181, and it’s wrong.

I'm think you may have just gotten a dud... I'm not sure the brand but I have that same style... never had an issue.... seems like they list that same sensor for just about every L series motor..... 

My engine is still a bit warm, just got back from errands. I can try to remember to check the ohm value after it cools down....

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'm think you may have just gotten a dud... I'm not sure the brand but I have that same style... never had an issue.... seems like they list that same sensor for just about every L series motor..... 

My engine is still a bit warm, just got back from errands. I can try to remember to check the ohm value after it cools down....

Well, I removed both of them. The new one is reading 220ohms by itself, and the old one is reading 360ohms by itself.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Well, that’s perplexing. And your stock gauge works fine?

I hope so..... I have always believed it was working properly.  

But yes it starts off at the bottom of the gauge in the cold and ends up at the middle line....

I have checked it with an ir gun for someone else as a comparison and the temps seem to be correct....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did the gauge work fine with the old engine and old sender?

Did you connect the engine ground strap?

Yeah, all the old stuff worked fine with the L16. When I built the L20b, I tried to use as much new stuff as possible so I could keep the L16 "whole."

Grounds everywhere. I don't skimp on those. Even by themselves, the 2 senders are completely different impedances at room temp. I mentioned to Neil that my temp gauge cold half way up during a cold start, which makes sense if the impedance is higher to start. I read that the impedance goes down the hotter the sender gets. 

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Yeah, all the old stuff worked fine with the L16. When I built the L20b, I tried to use as much new stuff as possible so I could keep the L16 "whole."

Grounds everywhere. I don't skimp on those. Even by themselves, the 2 senders are completely different impedances at room temp. I mentioned to Neil that my temp gauge cold half way up during a cold start, which makes sense if the impedance is higher to start. I read that the impedance goes down the hotter the sender gets. 

I know if you ground the wire it goes to full hot.....

I'll try to take a reading when I get home and see what the ohm is when it's at temperature....

• Like 1

Not to jump all over you guys, but what is with you guys and ebay? Trusted sources offer far more reliable parts than some dude on ebay. There are still trusted Datsun retailers out there, of the brick and mortar variety. Also, you can build relationships with shops, and that may help when you need something in a hurry or you have a problem. Not as likely with someone on ebay.

My basic rule is that if they don't have an address or at least a contact number, I don't want to do business with them. If the ebay guys have either of those, then it's a sign that they care about customers, not just their purchases.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Not to jump all over you guys, but what is with you guys and ebay? Trusted sources offer far more reliable parts than some dude on ebay. There are still trusted Datsun retailers out there, of the brick and mortar variety. Also, you can build relationships with shops, and that may help when you need something in a hurry or you have a problem. Not as likely with someone on ebay.

My basic rule is that if they don't have an address or at least a contact number, I don't want to do business with them. If the ebay guys have either of those, then it's a sign that they care about customers, not just their purchases.

Get with the times old man not everything is a brick and mortar anymore.  Do you buy off Amazon? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have done what you descibe about build relationships with some ebay sellers over the years.

• Like 1

Yeah, if the ebay seller returns an email, I will do business.

I don't mean you have to walk in to a store. But maybe pickup a phone and call, or send a list via email. Most of my vendors are people I do busiess with for many reason. I want to see them succeed. I may need occasional assistance. Most importantly, since I have built thee relationships, I can email the owner direct with a list of part names, but without part numbers, and they will do the legwork for me and populate a sales order, saving me valuable time.

The few Datsun parts guys I know, most of you guys don't like, so I won't push them on you anymore, but there are others. Steve Epperly at Z Therapy has tons of stuff, and there's that other guy http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-pickup-parts.html who I've never done business with, but he seems to have just about everything.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Not to mention, we're on the east coast. We don't have Datsun brick and mortar anything besides the Nissan dealerships that look at us like we're crazy when we give them a part number.

My Nissan parts guy gave me his parts books years ago. I think it was less a good will move and more of a message that the parts just aren't available anymore, so why bother taking up shelf space with those old books. When Renault bought Nissan, everything went to shit. They wiped their hands clean of anything vintage at that point. Other car companies have done a better job supporting their vintage clientele. Volvo sold all their stock to IPD with a mandate to keep things going for years to come. Toyota has started up production on many classic Land Cruiser parts. BMC has authorized British Motor Heritage to remake complete body shells. Even Jaguar, Mercedes and Ferrari all have in house re-pop centers as well as restoration facilities.

It will never happen with Datsun/Nissan.

• Like 1

@Stoffregen Motorsports We have Riley in VA who is probably by far and away the best and most well stocked NOS/OEM Nissan parts guy still doing it.  Also that new-datsun-parts guys is fucking ahole so I would never buy anything from him.  And I have been buying/selling off ebay since 2001 and only once had a problem with a buyer who was being a complete tool but other than that no problems whatsoever.  

• Like 3

Renault did more than just kill off the vintage stuff. They killed all of Nissan. Carlos Ghosn really screwed the pooch as well. We've been a Nissan family for decades, but I just can't buy into their crap anymore. When it came time to upsize the family car, we ended up with a 2019 Highlander.

• Like 2

Riley? I just did a quick search and came up with nothing. You got a link?

Yeah, Toyota is just better all around. Nissan had it in the bag, or at least were on par, but many are predicting their demise. Too bad, but one way to look at it is that your cars and trucks will be worth more if Nissan goes away.

• Like 1

When the 300zx went, Nissan went with it. In the late '90s I had a rapport with the parts counter guy who was really interested in helping me secure a part for my 620. In the early 2000s a new dealership was opened up on the hill and they moved and every time I go there with a part number the first thing out of their god damned mouth is... "What's this for?" (I tell them doesn't matter, do you have this part?) ... then... "You'll have to bring in the VIN number". (I tell them that VINs didn't come out for another 15 years) I tell ya I am never going back to a dealership.

• Like 1