Just bought a 521

mainer311

12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

"You'll have to bring in the VIN number". (I tell them that VINs didn't come out for another 15 years) I tell ya I am never going back to a dealership.

Parts counter people can't do shit w/o a VIN. And techs aren't mechanics anymore. They just do what the Consult computer tells them. If this Highlander didn't get free oil changes, I'd never be back at the dealership after the day I bought it. Already had a fuel pump recall though. At least they made it right. Nissan would just leave you high and dry just like they did with the "strawberry milkshake of death" starting in 2005. They had bad welds on the transmission coolant line running through the radiator. Coolant and ATF would mix, destroying the transmission. It took them years to make it right with people.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typical counter person like Nissan or Mc Dees.  "One big mac, fries and iced tea... and that's all" says my co worker anticipating the counter person's response. "One big mac, fries, and iced tea. Will that be all?" says the counter person. (like a trained seal) " Still the same." says my co worker "haven't changed my mind." (he's a baiting genius) Counter person seems confused. Me... strangling to keep a straight face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hilarious. Went to Micky D’d on the way home today to get my kid some fries, and a 6 piece nuggets for the way home. (It’s one of the only things she’ll eat.) Pull up to the pick-up window and the girl is like 1 Big Mac, 1 chocolate shake, 1 strawberry shake, 3 large fries, blah blah blah. What? No bitch, I got 1 large fries and nuggets.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, demo243 said:

I heard rumor somewhere that they were scaling back on what he can do... also looks like he isnt taking new orders or inquires at this time - at least if you want something quickly. 

I swear that message has been up there for awhile even when I ordered before, I just ignored it and emailed him... Hes a good resource and has always been quick to respond and ship... I have ordered 2 or 3 times with him...

Might look over what he has just incase.....

• Like 2

New wheel came in. I like it. “D” shape for better knee room. Suede feels nice on my soft hands. 😂 The top half is bigger in radius, but still smaller than the stock tractor steering wheel. It even came with a better adapter than the one that I machined, so I swapped that out too.

vVoJSed.jpg

vfeLqHX.jpg

• Like 4
23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

When the 300zx went, Nissan went with it. In the late '90s I had a rapport with the parts counter guy who was really interested in helping me secure a part for my 620. In the early 2000s a new dealership was opened up on the hill and they moved and every time I go there with a part number the first thing out of their god damned mouth is... "What's this for?" (I tell them doesn't matter, do you have this part?) ... then... "You'll have to bring in the VIN number". (I tell them that VINs didn't come out for another 15 years) I tell ya I am never going back to a dealership.

I get this from the local Nissan dealer as well, just a sign of the times.  A computer will tell most people (mechanics included) what they need to know and anything outside of that requires some critical thinking.  Which isn't always present with a lot of those jobs these days.  

• Like 1

Well shit. Now that everything is baked off and settled in, my carbs are leaking at the manifold. Sprayed with carb cleaner and the engine starts to slow way down. Noticed one stud pulled out of the manifold (great) and slight leaks with the other 3. Pulling everything back off tonight.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Look at this bullshit stud from Pierce on the right. 3 whole threads. I should have swapped them out to begin with.

NZjZsEb.jpg

Bummer... I’ve had good luck with them before, but that isn’t right...

You might need some thicker isolators to seal it up better. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, demo243 said:

Bummer... I’ve had good luck with them before, but that isn’t right...

You might need some thicker isolators to seal it up better. 

I pulled all the crap studs out, tapped the flanges all the way through, ran in those long studs pictures above, then smeared a little bit of black RTV on both sides of the gaskets. If it still leaks after this, I’d be shocked.

• Like 3
gas·ket
/ˈɡaskət/

noun
noun: gasket; plural noun: gaskets
  1. 1.
    a shaped piece or ring of rubber or other material sealing the junction between two surfaces in an engine or other device.

891591440b96974ee41ba437b18da0fa.jpg

• Like 1

These gaskets aren’t super compliant. They’re a really tough rubber on the verge of plastic. When I sprayed carb cleaner at the carb/manifold junctions, the engine was decreasing in RPM...on every carb tube. My issue started at very light throttle under high vac conditions within the transition circuit. Engine is leaning out from leaks and popping back through the carbs. 

The lean condition doesn’t jive with the idle jet I selected either, since I’m actually closed down to 1.5 turns vs. the baseline 2. We’ll see what happens now that it resealed. Might get the colortune out later to see what it’s doing.

We all know your stance on sealers, but I felt this would be good for sealing up small cracks and pinholes.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3