Just bought a 521

mainer311

I played around with it last night. Cut the battery posts, and managed to get a new clamp to fit by shimming it a little with an extra washer on the post. Also measured the current steering wheel and original steering wheel so that I can find something in between.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I played around with it last night. Cut the battery posts, and managed to get a new clamp to fit by shimming it a little with an extra washer on the post. Also measured the current steering wheel and original steering wheel so that I can find something in between.

Pics I need pics of said work done on truck.lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow. L20b’s are fun! Initial startup was a bit rough. Set the idle high enough to keep it running and found it was 10 degrees retarded. Swung it around to 10 degrees advanced and she took right off. Idle adjustment seems pretty good. I have 55’s in it, and they are even opened up a bit.

I went back to F15 tubes, with 135 mains and 200 air correctors. I think the correctors are too big. It runs out of steam at WOT, but the rest of the circuit feels strong.

https://i.imgur.com/4vpEfrS.mp4

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

Excellent!!!

16 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Anyone else see the guy on facebook who just dyno'd an L20b at 220bhp? Jesus. 13.8:1 comp, 110 octane.

.. and undrivable on the street. Oz Dat?? put a KA24DE head on one and got that and a bit more.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Fucking A man.  Welcome to the L20b dual side drafts club. But I see the video but don’t hear any sound? Not sure if it’s just me. 

There’s sound. I don’t know. Dude, my downpipe also bounces around on my left torsion bar and drives me nuts.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

There’s sound. I don’t know. Dude, my downpipe also bounces around on my left torsion bar and drives me nuts.

Welcome to that club as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, d.p said:

My google fu brought up this:  https://ttypes.org/where-have-all-the-brown-plugs-gone-long-time-passing/ says it related to the gas you are running but what the fuck do I know.  I am just reciting it from that article.  

Well, interesting. I just dumped some VP octanium into the tank before my last time out. Bumped the gas from about 93 to 96.5. I haven’t had any pinging or dieseling, but I figured a little more octane would keep me safe until I know what this thing does.

Get a wide band a/f gauge. Perfect is 14.7 but there's little running difference between 13.7 and 15.7. As you increase power it should drop accordingly and at full power try for 12.5 (ish) Lower than this gains you nothing and just throws gas away. The richer mixture simply reduces pinging from the heat removed from the evaporation of the extra gas. Best mileage is slightly lean in the 15s at steady cruise speeds light throttle. Deceleration causes a lean to very lean condition depending on speed. A lot of air is pulled through the throttle plate but with only enough gas for idle. I've hit 21 and even 22 but slow downs are usually more gradual and 17/18s are the norm. It would seem dangerous but this is very little fuel and a lot of air. I've rolled down very long hills in the mountains and the engine temp will drop like a stone even into the cold range. I imagine all carburetor engines do this.

Reading plugs only tells you what the mixture was like recently, when you shut it off. You would need to run WOT long enough for the plugs to self clean and then cut the ignition and pull over. Cruise mixture the same. You can't just drive home and take them out.

3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

They usually blow out the old slave and master cylinders too sometimes if they are old

I think 93 would work on your motor  if you have stock pistons and even a closed chamber head. west coast most of us dont get over 91octane

I’m using 86.5mm flat tops. Compression ratio is in the low 10 vicinity (according to Mike).

Well guys, we have another RockAuto problem. A brand new temp sender, cold, rings out at 180 ohms. The old one on my L16 that works correctly reads 4.67k ohms cold. So, there’s something else that doesn’t work for our trucks. ...unless I got one that’s a dud.

I bought the WVE 1T1181, and it’s wrong.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1