mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

I would use the new one with the kit, big thing is collar is correct which it should be as you are not swapping the transmission. 

yeah, that’s what I ended up doing. The width of both bearings is the same, and I figure the new one will give a little better leverage.

• Like 2

be honest the left is the 521 one and the right Look like a L20 bearing

the 581 is Exedy version(200mm) of the Roadster clutch but at 600 kg instead of 650.

Im confused now one which is the correrct one  I would put the bearing up the the fingers on the pressure plate and see where they would go.

DP used the same kit so ask wht he did. Maybe a year from now both will be pulling the trans out.

look up the*rockauto) 620 225mm flywheel clutch and see what the bearing looks like

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Both bearings are the same height, but the “bump” that rides on the pressure plate is more towards the center on the “roadster” kit. Both clutch pressure plates are nearly identical, and the pressure plate springs are probably the only difference. I put the bearings up to the fingers, and the new bearings rides right at the end of the fingers, while the bearing that I removed rides slightly farther out. Functionally, there’s slightly more mechanical advantage, but overall I’d say they’re almost the same.

• Like 1

I was thinking just use the one in the kit.  It looks unfimalier as what im used to but they know the finger dimensions and use the 521/510 sleave . Exedy would know what they are doing just get the right sleave in there

this is the actaully first time I seen a bearing in those NSC 581 kits.  so I assume its match up already for that KIT!!!!

I bought a stock Exedy 521 kit and it looks like the bearing on the left what is same what I pulled out(510/521) with the high part more in the center of the circle

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I would use the new one with the kit, big thing is collar is correct which it should be as you are not swapping the transmission. 

Ray the release collar is matched to the pressure plate used. You can put any transmission on that will fit.

Well, I found a cool company near me called Belmetric that specializes in specialty automotive stuff, so I grabbed these M14x1.5 tapered plugs in stainless. Wound the fuckers in and then repainted the whole manifold. Took an angle grinder to the edges and rounded them over. Hopefully there’s intake manifold clearance now.

TXrgGXd.jpg

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

If the intake valve is not seating air comes out the intake right?  If it goes out the exhaust its the exhaust valve?

edit:  I thought the post said you heard the air coming out the carb on 2?

wrong thread lol. Will post in mine. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Mike I thought you need a longer collar when swapping 5 speed with L20

The slave and clutch arm are limited in the position they swing through. To keep the clutch arm in the same position when a 'taller' pressure plate is used, a shorter length collar is used. Pressure plate diaphragm fingers come in many different heights relative to the flywheel. Collars are matched to the pressure plate you are using. If you have a 510 L16 with a 200mm pressure plate and you get a 5 speed from a Z car or a 620 truck it might come with the release collar from a 225mm clutch on the clutch arm. The thing to do is put the 510 release bearing and collar on that arm.

Just remember the release collar is intimately related to the pressure plate. Neither care what transmission you put on behind it.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, d.p said:

What you going to do about your exhaust? Probably not going to reach with the taller engine but YMMV. 

I don’t know yet. As it sits, my exhaust is super small in diameter. In an ideal world, I’d have coilovers already and those damn torsion bars would be gone. My goal is to machine some thick, mild steel flanges and have a whole new downpipe welded up, then take it to a shop to have the whole thing done up.