Just bought a 521

mainer311

45 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Only 2 cm 3/4" difference.

and? It was enough on mine that I couldn’t mate it.  But my rear section was welded to the frame so mainer

might have better luck than me. 

BFC2CB54-7109-4996-9823-3361EA318DE7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I don’t know yet. As it sits, my exhaust is super small in diameter. In an ideal world, I’d have coilovers already and those damn torsion bars would be gone. My goal is to machine some thick, mild steel flanges and have a whole new downpipe welded up, then take it to a shop to have the whole thing done up.

Cam and side drafts? More in makes more out so 2" for sure and the largest muffler you can mount under there.

• Like 1

Most likely going to have a new 2"+ exhaust made regardless so that will be fixed.  It's only welded right before the tail pipe under the bed and who knows when that was done but it was prior to my ownership.

Does anyone have a straight muffler on these?  Mine is down turned under the bed before the bumperettes and wondering what it looked like from the factory or what other people are doing.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, d.p said:

Does anyone have a straight muffler on these?

strqight pipe. Dont do it its too loud,  down turn at the right rear bumber, right side is about close to stock as it gets

I would run a 2in quiet muffler if I had to do it all over again. But the Dynomax super Turbo has the the u shaped fins which make it last longer so it dont blow a hole in the case(where the U shaped deflectors are)  I have mine almost 19years and still going good.(aluminized pipe)

• Like 1

Second the quiet muffler. My pipe on the 710 is 1 3/4" I think. Years ago got a donated brand new muffler at a garage sale for $5. Has 2" inlet so used a 2" to 1 3/4 reducer and a 45 degree down bend on the outlet in front of axle. It's exactly like the original for inlet/outlet location except slightly longer and wider. Larger would seem to be less restrictive so there's that. It's a regular $25 passenger car muffler and what little sound there is, is low and it rumbles and I guess reflects up off the ground and into the back of the car. Now this subtle sound, other than idle and light throttle, is lost  because of the side draft carbs.

• Like 1

It's been years since I have actually purchased a muffler for a Datsun, but "back in the day" we would run either a standard muffler shop "turbo" muffler, or a Borla "lazy S" stainless muffler. I like the sound of the Borla more, but the turbo muffler sounds right at home on a Datsun.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Valve cover came back. Holy moly.

BdMXw99.jpg

Damn your intake is nice and short too.... 

Why do I see so many dual setups where people are so close to the brake master?

You and DP might really sway me towards adding a second carburetor...

If I do it would most likely be 2 jenvey efi throttle bodies vs staying with carburetors....

Looking good...

• Like 2

Does look good although I am not a fan of green.  I also like how your fuel inlets are on the back side of the carbs, mine run across the front and touch my throttle bracket.    What you doing for a throttle cable?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

What you doing for a throttle cable?  

The stock housing in the engine bay is like 2" too short. I'm currently trying to source a cable and some housing that I can cut to length. I CNC'd a small aluminum bracket that spans across the middle of the carbs with a hole in it for the stock bulkhead to attach to. 

• Like 1