Just bought a 521

mainer311

I wouldn’t call it light. It’s huge. Plus the Platinum came with fancy rear air suspension and load leveling. I’m actually going to rip it all out for stiffer coils and Bilsteins. I don’t tow anything.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I wouldn’t call it light. It’s huge. Plus the Platinum came with fancy rear air suspension and load leveling. I’m actually going to rip it all out for stiffer coils and Bilsteins. I don’t tow anything.

Sound about right 🤣 most the factory supplied stuff isn’t worth it anyway- better off building your own suspension set up.

I’ve been a die hard Tacoma fan for a while- thought about a Tundra recently but they dropped the V8 … was then thinking about a new Tacoma … but now for ‘24 they dropped the V6! Sorry I love turbo 4s in a 510 or a Subaru… but not in my truck.

All I wanted was a v8, crew cab, with a 6 foot bed… hell I would have been happy with a turbo 6 in the Tacoma… but not a tundra. The problem lies in that I don’t need a massive f250 or 350, I just want a few more inches of rear seat room and a few more ponies… oh yea… and I don’t want an 80k truck… get rid of all the sensors and tech and give me the fleet version 

• Like 1

Yeah, I share the same sentiments. Can’t a dad have a big back seat for the kids and a V8 on a budget?

This Armada was a pretty good deal, but it needs some work. It has the dreaded plastic radiator crack, so I changing out a bunch of the cooling components first.

8 hours ago, demo243 said:

Sound about right 🤣 most the factory supplied stuff isn’t worth it anyway- better off building your own suspension set up.

I’ve been a die hard Tacoma fan for a while- thought about a Tundra recently but they dropped the V8 … was then thinking about a new Tacoma … but now for ‘24 they dropped the V6! Sorry I love turbo 4s in a 510 or a Subaru… but not in my truck.

All I wanted was a v8, crew cab, with a 6 foot bed… hell I would have been happy with a turbo 6 in the Tacoma… but not a tundra. The problem lies in that I don’t need a massive f250 or 350, I just want a few more inches of rear seat room and a few more ponies… oh yea… and I don’t want an 80k truck… get rid of all the sensors and tech and give me the fleet version 

Yeah todays truck beds are laughably small.  Most of the Tim e the bed on my 521 is longer.  

My friend got 23 or 22 manual TRD Pro tacoma and put a TRD blower on it. That thing is dog shit slow and the blower doesn’t even start spinning until 5-5.k.  It’s like a 1000 or less RPMs of usable SC.  

• Like 1

That gen Armada is basically a Titan underneath, at least powertrain.  I think it's unibody, not body on frame.  Still, I agree that number seems a bit high for a unibody.

Edited by iceman510
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I believe the blower is always spinning. Maybe it doesn't build pressure until that high of an RPM. Kinda defeats the purpose of a SC though...

The Nissan supercharged 3.3 was laughable too. 

Yeah it does, what I meant is it doesn't do anything until you are way high up into the RPMs.  He put the same blower on a FJ Cruiser and said its stupid fast so not sure why it seems to make little to no difference on the Tacoma until much later in the power curve.   

I guess I am just used to mostly usable power.  Even in my Datsun there is power throughout the powerband, albeit not much compared to todays standards but it does make it a lot of fun to mob around.  

3 hours ago, iceman510 said:

That gen Armada is basically a Titan underneath, at least powertrain.  I think it's unibody, not body on frame.  Still, I agree that number seems a bit high for a unibody.

It’s body on frame, just no rear live axle. Independent on coils.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Been trying to finish up some last minute projects before good weather gets here. Last summer my oil pressure sender broke, so I bought a replacement, along with a remote mounting kit to get some of the strain off of the splitter at the block. 3D printed a mount and put it on the firewall. I measured 0.9 ohms from the case to the engine block, so the braided line seems to be sufficient when used as a ground. Backup plan is to use one of those 1.5” metal conduit clamps.

pLxNKlB.jpeg

3BwzqID.jpeg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Been trying to finish up some last minute projects before good weather gets here. Last summer my oil pressure sender broke, so I bought a replacement, along with a remote mounting kit to get some of the strain off of the splitter at the block. 3D printed a mount and put it on the firewall. I measured 0.9 ohms from the case to the engine block, so the braided line seems to be sufficient when used as a ground. Backup plan is to use one of those 1.5” metal conduit clamps.

pLxNKlB.jpeg

3BwzqID.jpeg

Couldn't put a ring terminal under that serrated sender stud nut & washer to contact the body?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Couldn't put a ring terminal under that serrated sender stud nut & washer to contact the body?

That part of the unit is assembled at the factory, and if the straight knurled nut comes loose, the thing ends up defective. It somehow holds the internal mechanicals in place. That’s exactly how the first one broke.

Edited by mainer311