mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Is that the  2 pc manifold you have for the dual carbs??? Cant believe they still sell those Horrible design.

I asked the guy, and he said he's never heard of anyone having problems, but I can tell already that the linkage shaft is going to be fun. I already had to buy 2 cold start delete plates from them because the cold start mechanism wouldn't fit on the manifolds. Hopefully once these go on, they'll be there for a long time. 

• Like 1

Got a ton done tonight. Only thing holding the L16 in is the mounts and transmission. I mocked up everything on the L20 and it was all looking great, until...the intake and exhaust manifolds don’t fit next to each other. Looks like I’ll need to modify the areas where the smog pump injection tubes are. I had oil drain plugs with aluminum crush washers in there, but they’re too big in diameter. I’m going to grind down the faces of where those tubes normally are and install M14x1.5 plugs. Also, someone at one point mitered the block vent tube and now it doesn’t fit with it like that. Had they kept it straight, I would have been fine.

p5URbgT.jpg

HFhxWhI.jpg

QNhQYZy.jpg

• Like 2

That is a stock truck engine block vent pipe.  Car engines had the straight ones from my experience or the Japanese replacement engines with 2 dip stick locations so the engines could be used in a truck or a car.

Charlie69s_66_520_L20b_PVC.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

Hard to see but the 90 degree angled crankcase vent pipe comes out of the block different then the straight pipe. Hard to see because of black on black.

Get a straight one for your engine or make one.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, d.p said:

What @Charlie69 said, mine comes straight out and you could probably just USE the one off your L16 as it looks to be identical to the one that came on my L20B.

That's a good idea. I might try that. If not, I'll see if I can modify this right angle one. 

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 4:08 AM, mainer311 said:

There’s a smear of black RTV around both sides of the entire gasket.

Cover is called super chrome, but I think they overcooked the clear and it yellowed a little bit.

It just might be Nickle plated, without the final chrome plating.  Nickle has a yellow tinge, chrome a slight blue tinge in full light.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, d.p said:

Will still probably hit the casting lines on that intake manifold if that is the one you are using.  I am using the same one as @Charlie69 though cause I was too lazy to try and grind those ridges off.  

Completely different manifold. Mine is 2 separate pieces, no parting line.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Completely different manifold. Mine is 2 separate pieces, no parting line.

Your exhaust manifold is 2 separate pieces? 

This line is what I am referring to:

image.png.0725464b5db6d845b63a527c21037ba7.png

• Like 1

Have you guys ever seen these two clutch throw out bearings? Both are from Exedy clutch kits. The one in the truck is from the standard clutch kit for the 521, and the new one is from the “NSC581” 600kg kit from a roadster. Which one do I use?

YYAu7N4.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1