Just bought a 521

mainer311

36 minutes ago, Draker said:

That timing chain inspection cover is super snazzy. 

I don’t know if you’re on Instagram, but it’s made by a guy called md_machine. He makes all kinds of car stuff. Will be routing the spark plug wires around the front instead of over the top.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, d.p said:

Too rich for my blood.  

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Haha, kidding but $120 is $20 more than I paid for my engine and dual mikunis.  

Yeah, I’m in deep. Whatever. We’re all just trying to be like Ray.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I don’t know if you’re on Instagram, but it’s made by a guy called md_machine. He makes all kinds of car stuff. Will be routing the spark plug wires around the front instead of over the top.

I used a set of NGK from a Z car to go around the front of the valve cover.

• Like 2
On 3/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, mainer311 said:

It’s starting to get real. I threw a thin Apex HG on the block, plopped the head on, and checked valve clearance on #1 after setting the lash and timing all up. Good news is I didn’t have any contact, but I still want to check it with some playdoh or something to see how much I really have.

JQjyIJB.jpg

7cMMtPE.jpg

That is a bad ass oil pan were in the hell did you get it from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Does anybody here run OER carbs? They seem to be good enough, and they are rather inexpensive. I know Rebello started using them once the MIkuni supply dried up.

I believe the also use common jets and such, from Weber maybe?

Ive been looking into them a bit since Mikunis are stupid expensive now... Supposedly the best of both worlds, more tunability like the Webers (and I think can run most of the Weber jets), but has the reliability or should a say stability of Mikunis in their ability to hold a tune. 

There are a few builds floating around with them, but really not much info. I think Redline sold them for a little bit, but now it seems you need to get them straight from Japan...

If I find myself a 2 door 510 and do another carb KA swap I may run them since I wont be ponying up for Mikunis... Although I am also interested in running the Mikuni HSR bike carbs.

I think one of the biggest advantages for Webers is just the availability and knowledge out there around them - with Pierce and Redline supplying them and who know how many mechanics (backyard and professional) that know how they work- there is just so much info. 

But I am partial to Mikunis - both from an ease of use (so far) and just an appearance standpoint.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Looking good...

When's the swap happening?

Well, I wanted it to happen this spring. Realistically, for that to happen, I’d have to take some time off from work. I’ve been hitting little snags here and there that need to be ironed out. 

Edited by mainer311

buy a few spare head gaskets while you still can get them!!!

this is me but I would make a small hole for water to pass thru the head. I didnt know those head gaskets pluged the hole. My las head gasket change was just at that spot it was leaking water there. the head has electroyist and hole is oblong( getting bigger)and the Felpro gasket died. Put a graphit gasket on and been ok for a few years now but needs to get fixed if ever apart again(ezer to just put another head on for me to keep it running. As im to lazy to drive into Seattle to the machine shop to get it done and wait months

OER? somebody said a long time ago they Japanesemade  but use weber jetting

Edited by banzai510(hainz)