My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rock auto sells decent brand bearings for it, but then I have to rip the whole thing apart. I’m considering a new alternator for a late 90’s D21 and then just doing the VR bypass. These remanned alternators are just complete trash.

7 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Rock auto sells decent brand bearings for it, but then I have to rip the whole thing apart. I’m considering a new alternator for a late 90’s D21 and then just doing the VR bypass. These remanned alternators are just complete trash.

Let me know what you do and how it fits.  My biggest complaint is finding one that truly fits in that tight as space.  I’ve seen some people mention moving it to the drivers side where there’s a lot more room but never actually seen it done.  

Snapped my block mounting bolts of my '71, that was is '76? A friend relocated it to the distributor side. So it has been done and it does work. Likely the earliest example of it too.

The KA alternator is pretty big and going to be a tight fit.  Good choice on the D21 alternator it still has the V pulley. The bad is it's only 70 amp still twice what the 521 has.

Alright got the group 25 AGM battery which still weighs 50lbs.  Fine with the weight but still need to figure how to tie it down because the aluminum tie down I bought isn't long enough to go sideways.  

51956632129_3737e150ba_b.jpg

Also got this trick threaded funnel from Kyusha Speed in Australia:

51956632094_1d251c6df8_c.jpg

51956923670_2fe9949755_c.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

You said you got a group 25 but bought a group 24 tie down?

Say what now?  I just need a way to attach the j hooks to the tie down I bought which is too short to go lengthwise.  And although that tray says group 24 its measurements are perfect for the stock 521 battery location.  So I will use that group 24 tray, my group 25 battery and my group whatever tie down then go bang your mom. 

33 minutes ago, d.p said:

Say what now?  I just need a way to attach the j hooks to the tie down I bought which is too short to go lengthwise.  And although that tray says group 24 its measurements are perfect for the stock 521 battery location.  So I will use that group 24 tray, my group 25 battery and my group whatever tie down then go bang your mom. 

My mom is old

Well I got the tray, cut the tabs off the sides and then zip tie'd to the stock battery frame for now.  Will bolt/weld it in at some point in the future I guess but for now seems to be ok.

51964347291_e78209ef3e_c.jpg

51964904175_b9ca17fb6a_c.jpg

51963989137_630911aea2_c.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, thisismatt said:

The J hooks usually point/hook away from the battery.  I thought that frame was for the top...?

Maybe?  I don't see how it would work on top because there is no holes on the front/back of the stock battery tray, only the sides.  This tray is tight against the battery and tight against the fender side so the j hooks would either protrude into the battery or the fender on that side.   I could switch it on the drivers side but for the most part this all works.   

4 minutes ago, d.p said:

Maybe?  I don't see how it would work on top because there is no holes on the front/back of the stock battery tray, only the sides.  This tray is tight against the battery and tight against the fender side so the j hooks would either protrude into the battery or the fender on that side.   I could switch it on the drivers side but for the most part this all works.   

J hooks through the looped metal you took off the hold down ends, through the holes in the stock diagonal supports?

Just now, thisismatt said:

J hooks through the looped metal you took off the hold down ends, through the holes in the stock diagonal supports?

yes if I had a tie down wide enough to reach lengthwise across the battery which I don’t.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lost a bolt to my front brake caliper and cussed the caliper to float and make contact with the inner part of the wheel.  Got another bolt but it appears the bracket got bent or stretched and now the caliper holes don’t line up with the bracket.  Zip tied the caliper to the strut just to get home.  Beebani’s doesn’t have another one and isn’t setup to make any so I am not sure what I am going to do.    Guess my only option is try to massage it back into place but not sure how I feel about that.   I’ve got to do something as the truck is DOA until I fix it. 

7E68AA3F-8F5E-4288-9345-26DDCE2DC1EA.jpeg