d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get a new better battery so I ordered an ODP-AGM24 but the fucker is huge and super heavy.  My dumbass didn't realize that I had a group25 in the the truck already.    Not to mention the new battery looks beat to shit, was covered in dust and scratched all up when I picked it up.

51943835568_e13b7bd0c6_b.jpg

I guess I want an AGM so I should just size down/up to a group 25? 

Its YUGE and weighs a fucking ton. 

Can anyone recommend a solid battery?  Prefer AGM over lead as my terminals are corroded as hell from the current one leaking (2016). 

51943835573_7646a00521_b.jpg

Edited by d.p

I have a Batteries Plus store right near me and they carrier a lot of Duracell brand car batteries. I looked at their AGM batteries one day and the size and weight savings was not worth almost double the price. I was actually surprised to find that most of the AGM batteries were just as heavy as the lead-acids. I think a lot of roadster guys run a size 51 battery because it's smaller.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't realize how heavy they were either, I mean these trucks aren't race cars but the fucker is a load @50lbs.  I think @Greaser2 runs a 51 as well relocated to under his bed (XS power IIRC).   Probably way overthinking this as PepBoys sells an AGM group 25 champion battery which has good reviews and looks to use the same tie downs as my current battery.  

https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm-battery-group-size-25/product/2071655

• Like 1

Oh and does anyone know what or how to mount a battery that doesn't have the slots in the top for the j hooks?  Can I just cut a slot into the top of a battery without the fear of dying while doing it?  I bought a battery tray off amazon to mount in the stock location but it was way too wide.  Or if anyone has a suggestion on what to buy please help a brother out.  

That dude in the vid above is SHORT.

And uh, don't go cutting into a car battery. They're filled with sulfuric acid. 

Just cut a piece of aluminum bar stock. Drill a hole in each end, then fish the threaded rod portion of the j-hooks up through the holes and put nuts on the top. Here’s the one I put on the roadster. Very simple.

eoFxaCQ.jpg

Edited by mainer311

Cut into the battery? No way.

There are custom battery trays/mounts sold by off-road guys and others by street rod companies, but most of them are battery specific, like for Optima or Odyssey. I make my own battery brackets and J-hooks. The hooks I make are made from 10 inch long 8mm bolts that I buy and modify.

1 hour ago, d.p said:

@mainer311 where are those j hooks attached to on the bottom?  The plastic tray?  That is the part I don't get?  

There are holes in the support rods going from the inner fender to the shelf that the battery sits on. Are yours not there?

I still have my factory battery frame, so my j-hooks sit front to rear.

Edited by mainer311
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

There are holes in the support rods going from the inner fender to the shelf that the battery sits on. Are yours not there?

Meaning the sides facing the firewall and the radiator.  If that is what you are referring to then yes they are there, but that would be the widest part of the battery.   Or perpendicular to your roadster pic.  

Here:

image.png.00497c0beebf6faefac2b75d32a423bf.png