d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, d.p said:

Lol.  I have a mountain of parts for this project, I mean a literal mountain of calipers, pads, rotors, lines, brake line bender, brake line straightener, brake line flaring tool, hose clips, hose mounts, brake nuts, speed bleeders and just ordered seals and bearings as well.  I think at this point I have ordered everything that I could possibly need.  

pfft, no tig welder in that list

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thisismatt said:

pfft, no tig welder in that list

I’ve thought about buying/learning how to weld but simply never done anything about it.    Just don’t know if I would get much use out of it.  

Fuck that doesn't help me at all because RA lists them as outer/inner and I don't have the axel pulled to be able to tell.  The only reason I am asking is because I got what RA calls the inner seal (am waiting for the outer to show up).     I am really just trying to pull the axels and take them to the shop once I know I have the seals that go on the wheel side and right now I don't know which ones I have. 

This is what I have which RA calls inner?  but inner of what? 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6769856&cc=1212321&pt=1860&jsn=10848

7 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

#7 & #15

One keeps crap out of your wheel bearing (outer) and one keeps diff fluid in (inner).

You miserable SOB, so I have the inner one which goes in the axel then?  And thus I am waiting on the outer that goes with the wheel bearing which means the shop can't do shit without it.  For whatever reason I don't want to pull the axels because I have 0 interest in putting those drums back together.  I figure if I pull them there is no turning back.

Through all of this RA and their shipping has been atrocious.  I told them that the reason their parts are so cheap is because their customer service is so bad.  I have never gotten more canned responses then I have when trying to get help from a single company in my life.  

Just now, thisismatt said:

I've never dealt with their CSR's, but half the time I go somewhere else because the multiple warehouse shipping charges negate any good prices when buying multiple parts.

Yeah I ordered bearings and both seals and they came from 3 different warehouses for $20 in shipping.  Bearings seem to be lost so I bought some other ones from Amazon and then both sets showed up the same day.  Typical but at least Amazon I can return for no cost to me.  I did find that they had the cheapest price for the rear bearings where everywhere else was a lot more.  Hell I paid $50 for 2 bearings from Amazon and $70 total for all of it from RA.  

19 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's funny that they show the wheel and tire in that diagram. You don't see that amount of detail anymore.

It kind of looks like an FSM illustration.

Nah but I used a trim removal tool like this one which worked titties.  The one I have is at an angle and gets right in between the back of the seal and the metal washer.  

Im going to buy one of those seal removers though. 

image.png.9e31db6d5f44f72d8043620f461c52fd.png

• Like 1

Well I took the axels to a local shop who said they could do it no problem. But they called today asking about a tool to torque the lock ring on the back of the hub.  Not sure that is a good sign or not cause from what I can tell the Nissan tool to do that is long gone NLA.  

Does anyone know of an alternative ? 

Make one. Get a Dana 44 or Dana 60 splined front wheel bearing nut socket and see if it fits. If it doesn't, modify it to work, then weld on the long handle. Done. $25 all in, one hour labor.

D60 - https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648477-Spindle-Socket-Inner/dp/B0015V1QF6

D44 - https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25072-4-Lug-Spindle-Socket/dp/B000CMJH96

Universal - https://torqueking.com/product/1025/qt1025-universal-4-lug-and-6-lug-spindle-hub-nut-socket/

Fuck it.

Shop was able to sort me out minus putting the studs back in. They’re going to rectify it and they should be ready tomorrow. Funny too cause they threw the studs in the recycle bin and luckily were able to find them all. Should have them back tomorrow. 

They also media blasted the hubs and backing plate so they look good for now.  

8FD1127C-50C3-4DEB-92BF-E0E75076D9DF.jpeg

• Like 3